Quantcast

Time Delays

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
What is the reasoning behind the time restriction on PM's and flagging posts? I'm working on coordinating a ride with a couple folks and it sucks to have to wait 60 seconds between pm's. (For the record I know you can send a single pm to multiple peeps but I'm trying to answer individual questions now.)
Same goes for flagging. I've tried flagging multiple spambots (remember the energy drink vs coffee thread?) and have had to wait. Is there a reason for this other than preventing duplicate PM's or flaggings? Wouldn't a 3 second delay suffice?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Okay, so here's what I did:

Time between posts reduced to 15 seconds.
Time between PMs reduced to 15 seconds.

However, because an important part of time between PMs is to prevent spambots from flooding people with PMs (since I can't easily delete them from people's inbox), I've imposed a rule where you can't send more than 60 PMs in an hour. Accomplishes the same result as the 60 second delay, except you can more quickly exchange PMs in a short period.

Let me know if these aren't working out better than before.

In RE: the post reporting, I don't think this is a customizable delay, but in any event, you only ever have to report one post from any single spammer - the spammer ban function deletes all the rest.

Since I'm nice, I also doubled everyone's PM box size.

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Sweet. :thumb: This all seems resonable. As far as post reporting I've never flagged more than one per individual, but in the case of the "Energy Drink" thread there were multiple spam bots. Thats the only reason I noticed it.