Quantcast

Time for a new cassette?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
So when do you know if it's time for a new one? I've had mine (XT shimano) for about a year and just this week I've noticed that under hard acceleration my chain will want to pop out of gear and then go back in. I've tried adjusting my derailleur, but every time I really lay down the chicken leg power it will pop-pedal-pop :mumble: So I'm thinking it's time for a new one. Yes? No?

Anybody have a favorite road cassette that they might recommend me giving a try?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
ncrider said:
So when do you know if it's time for a new one? I've had mine (XT shimano) for about a year and just this week I've noticed that under hard acceleration my chain will want to pop out of gear and then go back in. I've tried adjusting my derailleur, but every time I really lay down the chicken leg power it will pop-pedal-pop :mumble: So I'm thinking it's time for a new one. Yes? No?

Anybody have a favorite road cassette that they might recommend me giving a try?
It's worn when you look closely at the cogs and the teeth start wearing in in a way that they look kinda like a shark fin. Whereas the tip of the tooth has a slight lip on it that will try and grab the chain as it rolls off.

This happened right after you replaced the chain, right?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
got a kink or a link that is binding perhaps.. i actually had some damage to a link and it wouldnt move freely,, causing it to skip.

sleepinggiant

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
San Jose, CA
Take your bike to an LBS and have them check the chain. They have a tool that lets them know how worn the chain is. They will be able to tell you if the cassette needs replaceing. I personally prefer shimano cassettes of the ultegra caliber.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
sleepinggiant said:
Take your bike to an LBS and have them check the chain. They have a tool that lets them know how worn the chain is. They will be able to tell you if the cassette needs replaceing. I personally prefer shimano cassettes of the ultegra caliber.
All you need is a ruler.

Measuring Chain Wear
The standard way to measure chain wear is with a ruler or steel tape measure. This can be done without removing the chain from the bicycle. The normal technique is to measure a one-foot length, placing an inch mark of the ruler exactly in the middle of one rivet, then looking at the corresponding rivet 12 complete links away. On a new, unworn chain, this rivet will also line up exactly with an inch mark. With a worn chain, the rivet will be past the inch mark.
This gives a direct measurement of the wear to the chain, and an indirect measurement of the wear to the sprockets:

*If the rivet is less than 1/16" past the mark, all is well.

*If the rivet is 1/16" past the mark, you should replace the chain, but the sprockets are probably undamaged.

*If the rivet is 1/8" past the mark, you have left it too long, and the sprockets (at least the favorite ones) will be too badly worn. If you replace a chain at the 1/8" point, without replacing the sprockets, it may run OK and not skip, but the worn sprockets will cause the new chain to wear much faster than it should, until it catches up with the wear state of the sprockets.

*If the rivet is past the 1/8" mark, a new chain will almost certainly skip on the worn sprockets, especially the smaller ones.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
motomike said:
This happened right after you replaced the chain, right?
Not really. I replaced the chain about three monbths ago (one of those months I was out do to injury). I just measured it and it looks spot on. Must be the cassette. The teeth of the gears I use the most (smallest) have a few bent or twisted looking teeth. Not quit "shark tooth" but on their way.

Thanks for the help guys.