Quantcast

Time for full armour, better forearm pads too

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Right so I need some suggestion on protection.
I have used 661 forearm pads and they sucked huge, always slipped down to my wrists. I have some TLD pads and they are super comfy and stay in place while riding but I have noticed they slide up my are when I eat dirt. I always land on my hands and forearms so I always protect these areas. A couple of grazes never really bothered me till 3 weeks ago when I sliced my arm right open, got stitched up but concerning since I had pads on. Now I need to find a pad that is comfortable and doesnt slip up or down. Seriously I have taken alot of skin off my right arm since I always go down on the right side. I am worried about continuing to do this and I am holding back on rides now so I dont go down with a freshly healed wound. I am looking at Alpine Stars, POC, the new TLD or Rock Garden - all at CRC.
So its been a bad month. 2nd ride after slicing my arm and I went OTB into a rock garden. Took a pointed rock to the chest, rock to the right should and rocks to both knees. Luckly I wasnt going fast or it could have been really bad. I am pretty beat up and bruised but luckily didnt break anything but my ego. Taking a rock to the chest was freaky and I swelled up like a football, paint from the mouth piece means my helmet did its job. I have tried 661 hard shell suits and they all suck for fit and comfort, mainly bad fit. I also tried a TLD suit in M/L when visiting the UK but it was a tad small, lucky I got to return it. I have never used a suit and dont want to but I am seriously starting to think about it. I would idealy like a light suit I can wear often and not dump it due to heat and comfort, it gets really hot and humid here. Are any of the pressure suits like the 661 any good? I am looking at the Rockgarden since its great value, Alpine Stars and POC. I am 6'1" and well built but lean at 185Lbs. Sizing tips would be great as I will be shipping this to South Korea so returning is not ideal.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
for arms/ebows, i highly recommend the A* Moab, On my medium sized arms, they stay put.

As for the rest, i dont have it yeat but was in the same position as you a while back, and i decided to get the TLD CP9595(?!?!) armor as it goes with my leatt.

Knees, again A* Moab just stays put as well :)

Hope that helps a bit :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I recomend POC arms. They are the most comfy thing I ever tried. awesome feeling. Never tried their body armour. Still rock my 6 year old dainese but have in mind that they are build with skinny people in mind.

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
I went with the RockGardn Flakjacket because of the extra two pieces of protection, lower rib cage on the front and I guess you would say kidneys on the back. I love it, but decide for yourself.

Also remember, as you get older, those things hurt worse and take longer to heel. I tend to wear most of my pads all the time now (short of the jacket) even when riding XC. I'll take the crap from my buddies or a passer-byer anytime over having pain or recovering for 1 month or even a week. It's worth it to me and has saved my a$$ a couple of times.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I recomend POC arms. They are the most comfy thing I ever tried. awesome feeling. Never tried their body armour. Still rock my 6 year old dainese but have in mind that they are build with skinny people in mind.
second. I've switched to using all POC. Its pricey, but pretty much the best stuff out there. Their knee pads are comfy, don't slip, and don't dig into you when you pedal.

I have their spine armor too (VPD Vest) and its awesome. Best I've used. sizing was a little wonky on it. According to their chart i needed the L/XL (I'm 6'1"), but the small was what wound up fitting my properly.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
For suits, go for Dainese. It`ll cost more but you definitely won`t regret it. You wouldn`t want to go cheap with protection.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I think I have been getting better at taking a dive but slicing my arm was probably more of a freak thing. It was like I cut it on glass it was so deep and so clean. I went back but couldnt really find the culprit so I am guessing a rock with quartz. I didnt actualy go down hard and other than the stiches I didnt walk away with any other bruises.
My last dive was completely unexpected. I have ridden this small section hundreds of times but either I was thinking too much about the tweaks I had just completed to the trail but I was getting ready to launch in to the rocks and the next thing I was going OTBs. I knew it had something to do with a tree stump but I was confused when I got home and noticed my right pedal was destroyed. I went back on Thursday to do some trail work and I looked at the stump only to see marks from the pins. I was pissed before cause I couldnt wrok out where I screwed up, feel better know I know but also feel like a twit. I must of changed my usual line by enough or dropped a pedal while preparing to get my front wheel up.
I think CRC has POC elbow pads instock but they are ouot of the T Vest. I will either hold off or the A* suit looks promising.:thumb: