Quantcast

Time for me to ask advice

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Check it out, neighbors behind us, for two weeks straight now have had there effin music just blasting away. Its normally off before I get home, but the Wife and mother inlaw have been here, asking directly didnt work, only thing that gets them to stop is calling the police, but within a few hours its been back.....

Obviously kicking down the door and shooting the radio is a bad idea, but would solv ethe noise problem....

The sherrif is on the way to my house now, what the hell do I have to say to the sherrif to get his ass to actually cite them each time they comeout????? I know the code is 200 feet, shorter if your music can be heard inside your neighbors homes...... I also know that its a fine that goes up everytime they are called out....... Any idea on how i can actually get some enforcement?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
You are doing the right thing, just make sure if they want you to press charges, you do. I would think they would get the hint after a while, but I guess not.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
just keep calling, sooner or later the cops will get sick of coming out, or the neighbor will get sick of the cops being at his house.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I hadn't assumed his neighbors were black...but I figured maybe I'd missed something per HAB's post...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I hadn't assumed his neighbors were black...but I figured maybe I'd missed something per HAB's post...
They arent, its one of the few white homes out here<not that that means a damn thing to me> Any other neighbor is cool here, if someone is being loud, just go knock, they turn it down.... Most of the time they are loud, they will come over to all the neighbors first and let them all know they are having a get together, and to let them know if they are getting too loud.....

These guys are just ****ing trash

OB1

Monkey
You really want them fined? Here's the best LEGAL way. Write a certified letter to your neighbor detailing the dates, and times of the issue. Keep a copy. In a few weeks, take them to small claims court with your letter, and proof of the dates cops had to show up. They will get fined all right...but the money will go in YOUR pocket instead of the city. If they don't pay up, that's even better! Costs pile up, and your lien will net you a new DH bike to ride.:thumb:

Last edited:

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
Check it out, neighbors behind us, for two weeks straight now have had there effin music just blasting away. Its normally off before I get home, but the Wife and mother inlaw have been here, asking directly didnt work, only thing that gets them to stop is calling the police, but within a few hours its been back.....

Obviously kicking down the door and shooting the radio is a bad idea, but would solv ethe noise problem....

The sherrif is on the way to my house now, what the hell do I have to say to the sherrif to get his ass to actually cite them each time they comeout????? I know the code is 200 feet, shorter if your music can be heard inside your neighbors homes...... I also know that its a fine that goes up everytime they are called out....... Any idea on how i can actually get some enforcement?
what kind of music is it?

pay a crackhead to steal their stereo. win for you and double win for the crackhead.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
It's a music off! Play some dope jamz right back at em! It's the only way to show them who's boss- play the freshest beats around!

ya haerd?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Music is everything from RnB to classic make out music..... Its really not the music choice, its the Bass.... for crying out loud Ive been listening to my dishes rattle

The chickee that lives there..... NO..... If you didnt understand that... Not only no, but HELL no

So check it, Sherrif finaly came by, sure enough the music "was " off when he got here, so the Mom in law and myself sat here and interegated the sherrif on what we can do. About fifteen minutes of discussion and all of a sudden the music came back on!!! Sherrif then says.... I will be right back, Im going to go cite them now, but I need my tape first.

So sherrif measured out the audible distance at 615 feet!!! City code says no more than 200 feet, at 200 feet its a 200 dollar fine, plus 3 dollars per foot over that. That brings the current citation to 1445 dollars!!! Next best part is, if they dont pay up, its jail time at county for six months.

I dont think I will be hearing the music any time soon, specially now that a citation is on record, next offense will be auto jail time!!!!

So, situation settled for now, although I do have to appear at court when/if they go in to fight it. The fact that it is now peacefull in the neigborhood again makes it worth it.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Can't I take a day off to go snowboarding?

Long story short goes like this;

1. If they're renters-
First find out who their land lord is.
Call them up.
Explain the situation, and then as nice as you can muster, tell them that unless something is done in 24 hours, and is a total solution (i.e. an eviction or a peace bond) that you will be filing a nuisance suit against the tennants and the land lord based on the predication that they are robbing you of your "peaceable enjoyment of your home." Remember to say that, its lawyer speak, and its kinda clutch to set up your claim.

Wait 24 hours.

If you have the means, I highly suggest video taping the noise coming out, documenting on the tape the day and time, and then cross referencing this with local noise statutes, along with the civil code revolving around peaceful enjoyment of your home.

If it persists, call a lawyer, and file for the statutory max against the home owner, the landlord for negligent enforcement, and the tenants for disruption of the peace.

2. If they're the owner
Skip right to filing a law suit.

Also, look up the codes for enforcement when it comes to the cops in your town. Sometimes it's a discretionary thing, other times they have to enforce the law. Every time a cop comes out, get his card/badge number and name. If its the same guy over and over again, and he's not writing tickets, go speak to the community relations officer at the local PD. Demand to see the chief, this really gets under their nuts, and then proceed to raise hell.

And if all of that doesn't work, ask yourself this: What would Milton from Office Space do?

Edit: Didn't see that the system worked. Guess the officer has to be present in your town to witness the violation to avoid derravation of process and malicious pros issues.

I'd still find the owner/landlord and tell them of your intent now that they have been cited to file a nuisiance suit. Hit them with the combonation!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
:rofl:
I like you sometimes (more often than not, lately).
Don't get used to it, I tend to get you all warm and fuzzy and then go for the "whoops I slipped." Ask my ex.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Imagine that - a situation that was resolved without the need of a lawyer!

smoke brakes

Monkey
May 18, 2007
one step closer to the lord
night terrorist
simple child games
fishing line connected to a bobby pin , inserted into door or window
set at home , draw line taught , pluck line causing a loud unidentifiable sound in house do to the leverage on the line against glass - it makes a hell of a sound inside the home if placed correctly , aluminum siding is amazing as well
po po shows up , break line , real in
begin again

Al C. Oholic

Monkey
Feb 11, 2010
FoCo
go clark griswold style and put them on timers to go on/off several times during the night.

just tell the cops you're celebrating kwanza or something.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
So check it, Sherrif finaly came by, sure enough the music "was " off when he got here, so the Mom in law and myself sat here and interegated the sherrif on what we can do. About fifteen minutes of discussion and all of a sudden the music came back on!!! Sherrif then says.... I will be right back, Im going to go cite them now, but I need my tape first.

So sherrif measured out the audible distance at 615 feet!!! City code says no more than 200 feet, at 200 feet its a 200 dollar fine, plus 3 dollars per foot over that. That brings the current citation to 1445 dollars!!! Next best part is, if they dont pay up, its jail time at county for six months.

fock yeah :headbang:.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
dern...200' noise ordinance? your town is lenient! it's 30' here and a $250 fine for the first offense, $400 for the second, and a trip to jail for the 3rd offense in a year.
THIRTY FEET??!? That's as if you're doing *anything* that your next door neighbor can hear, you're in violation of the law. Is this anytime, day or night? Our ordinance is:

The using of any radio receiving set, musical instrument, phonograph or device for producing or reproducing of sound in a loud and unnecessary manor. The operation of these between the hours of 10 pm and 7 am in a manor as to be plainly audible at the property line of the building, structure, or vehicle in which it is located shall be prima facie evidence of a violation of this section
Although I did also find this:

Loud and Unnecessary Noise Prohibited. No person shall use within the City any equipment for the amplification of sound so as to cause such amplified sound to be transmitted into a public street, alley, or public place unless a permit has been granted, which states the time and place of the event, by the Chief of Police. It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly or wantonly to use or operate, or to cause to be used or operated any mechanical device, machine, apparatus or instrument for intensification or amplification of the human voice or any sound or noise in any public or private place in such manner that the peace and good order of the neighborhood is disturbed or that persons owning, using or occupying property in the neighborhood are disturbed or annoyed.
So neighbors complaining *would* make it illegal...

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Music is everything from RnB to classic make out music..... Its really not the music choice, its the Bass.... for crying out loud Ive been listening to my dishes rattle

The chickee that lives there..... NO..... If you didnt understand that... Not only no, but HELL no

I dont think I will be hearing the music any time soon, specially now that a citation is on record, next offense will be auto jail time!!!!

So, situation settled for now, although I do have to appear at court when/if they go in to fight it. The fact that it is now peacefull in the neigborhood again makes it worth it.
and there was much rejoicing