Quantcast

Time for my first console

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
So I finally decided I may need a console. What are the main pros and cons of the 2 major players? I've heard Kinect on xbox is much better but I like the ps3 controller and gran turismo on it. How is game availability on each of them? Don't care about blu ray.

If one is better than the other which version should I pick.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
New Wii is coming out this year I believe. Might be worth waiting to see what it's like? Supposed to be a bit of a departure from the original.

scott

Chimp
Apr 18, 2007
Radford, VA
I was always a Sony fan growing up and liked the PS1 and 2 quite a bit. I stumbled on a good deal on a 360 and went for it. I hated the controller design at first, but it's grown on me and now I like the 360 a lot. I haven't dabbled much with a PS3, but I've heard their online mode is terrible compared to the xbox, unless they've improved it recently. If blu-ray doesn't matter to you and you see some game titles on the 360 that you like, that's the route I would suggest.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
tbh I don't care much for the online. It would be more of a party/injury plaything than a regular gamers toy.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
If ur more of a party/casual gamer then Nintendo wii is the way to go period.

Hmm i tried kinect as well as playstation move. Didnt like either tbh.
And i think a wii is cheaper and has more party games.
It does boil down to personal preference though.
Best bet is to go to a store and see what floats your boat!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If ur more of a party/casual gamer then Nintendo wii is the way to go period.

Hmm i tried kinect as well as playstation move. Didnt like either tbh.
And i think a wii is cheaper and has more party games.
It does boil down to personal preference though.
Best bet is to go to a store and see what floats your boat!
I was a hardcore gamer in my teens. Hell I even met my first girlfriend at a TES convention ( kinda surprising she was attractive) I still want some games with decent story so wii doesn't really interest me. As much as i want party games If I'm ever to play games alone I want what's surprisingly very rare nowadays - a decent story. Like Psychonauts, Freespace 1 and 2 or Silent Hill. For solo gaming gameplay means very little to me when the story is non existant or very generic (like 99% of shooters and rpgs right now)

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I bought my PS3 on a whim a long time back and have been very happy with it. They continually expanded (not so much lately) the capabilities with firmware updates and it does a lot of stuff (streams, surfs [albeit mediocre-ly], plays games, plays online for free [which to me is worth more than paying to play foul-mouthed 10 year kids], plays any sort of disc i can think of, and has all the connectivity built in [maybe the newer 360's have wifi, HDMI and such standard now?], and standard computer parts and interfaces [computer power cord, USB accessories, laptop HDD]).

The games are pretty darn good. I play mostly shooters but the increased storage capacity of the blu ray might mean you get more epic story driven games (since that's what you're interested in). Heard LA Noire was really good.

Family has a wii and it's only "eh" IMO. Easy to pick up and play but games seem to be pretty limited in scope to party games.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Heard LA Noire was really good.
it was good for the first hour or so then it repeated itself over and over.

if you have an HDTV, then the PS3 should be your first and only choice. the 360's scaler is good but still not anywhere near what a BD can show. and with the constant firmware updates, it stays up to date with all the new codecs that keep popping up. hell, when it came out 6 years ago it was the best (and cheapest) BD player on the market and its quality still holds true

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
To be honest I already own a pretty damn good bd player and my TV has an awesome scaler so that's a non issue.

I want games for parties and some good storyline non sandbox games(hate those since 99% of what you do is repetitive) for the rare days with nothing else to do.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I couldnt care less about kinect, but i can see it could be fun for partygames.
For everything else ps3 is the better console imo.

Plenty of good titles for both but ps3 has better exclusives.
If you like rpgs then Skyrim is a must have, definitly in my top 3 evar.
And if you liked the Silent Hill series you should give Dead Space a try.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
The Uncharted series has a really fun story line. I wouldn't call it "epic" but it is fun to watch the story unfold through each game (and the cinematics are pretty awesome IMO).

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I couldnt care less about kinect, but i can see it could be fun for partygames.
For everything else ps3 is the better console imo.

Plenty of good titles for both but ps3 has better exclusives.
If you like rpgs then Skyrim is a must have, definitly in my top 3 evar.
And if you liked the Silent Hill series you should give Dead Space a try.
Tried Skyrim on PC since I'm a TES fan but plotwise the series is becoming worse and worse with every installment. Oblivion was just generic compared to Morrowind which was an awesomely original game but the quests were varied, every faction had its own distinct questline structure. Skyrim is just doing a bunch of fetch quests for ppl who got drunk, partied in a troll cave and lost their jewelry sometimes to be changed to person a doesn't like us so stab him in the eye. Most of that game takes place in a dungeon.

Dead Space - I tried it only for a short while but I will gladly try it but from what I get it's more like Doom than Silent Hill.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Hmm my first TES was Oblivion and I didnt like it that much, Skyrim however i think is awesome...
I thought the main quest was awesome, the three guild story lines were allmost as good but fetching isnt my thing either.
Still have 270 something hours into it and im at 79% definitly getting the DLC when it comes out.

I dont know how fallout 3 is compared to the older ones but that was my first Bethesda game and i really enjoyed it even though it was far from perfect...

Dead Space is a 3rd person survival horror game while doom was a fps with some horror elements.
Definitly worth it and i bet u can find it dirt cheap!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hmm my first TES was Oblivion and I didnt like it that much, Skyrim however i think is awesome...
I thought the main quest was awesome, the three guild story lines were allmost as good but fetching isnt my thing either.
Still have 270 something hours into it and im at 79% definitly getting the DLC when it comes out.

I dont know how fallout 3 is compared to the older ones but that was my first Bethesda game and i really enjoyed it even though it was far from perfect...

Dead Space is a 3rd person survival horror game while doom was a fps with some horror elements.
Definitly worth it and i bet u can find it dirt cheap!
The main quest was good and it didn't have as many annoying distractions like the main quest in Oblivion but the main appeal of Tes games are the side quests. The empire/stormcloack quests are basicly assault quests, companions are the same but with more dungeons, mages have some interesting stuff but as with all other big storylines they end up as bad.

The Main attraction of morrowind and to a lesser extent Oblivion was that there were a lot of quests going in the cities. That made them feel alive not just hubs for restocking your gear and getting new quests.

Seriously try Morrowind - each faction has it's own machinations and inner troubles. There is 10x less dungeon crawling than in Skyrim and the world is MUCH MUCH more varied.

As for Dead Space vs Doom - the 3rd person vs 1st person was the only differance I felt imho. It was as much of a survival horror as the zombie resident evils were. Enjoyable but bland. Silent hill was all about the atmosphere. Doom and for the short period I tried it had some of it but it relied too much on jump scares and darkness and too little on imagination.

Try SH 1-3 and see how little darkness there is there. The games are awfully quiet and leave a lot to your imagination.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
As for Dead Space vs Doom - the 3rd person vs 1st person was the only differance I felt imho. It was as much of a survival horror as the zombie resident evils were. Enjoyable but bland. Silent hill was all about the atmosphere. Doom and for the short period I tried it had some of it but it relied too much on jump scares and darkness and too little on imagination.

Try SH 1-3 and see how little darkness there is there. The games are awfully quiet and leave a lot to your imagination.
You should give Dead Space a full play through. It is more like early Resident Evil games and Silent Hill than you might realize. Nothing like the latest Resident Evil games. The first Dead Space is especially unnerving due to the use of sound and the movement of your character. I'm a big Silent Hill fan, but the Dead Space games are amazing IMO.

scott

Chimp
Apr 18, 2007
Radford, VA
You should give Dead Space a full play through. It is more like early Resident Evil games and Silent Hill than you might realize. Nothing like the latest Resident Evil games. The first Dead Space is especially unnerving due to the use of sound and the movement of your character. I'm a big Silent Hill fan, but the Dead Space games are amazing IMO.
I'm a fan of the early Resident Evil games, so I might give Dead Space a shot. I wish the newer RE games were like the old ones. Operation Raccoon City got boring really fast, but I'm pretty curious for the newest one coming out.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
God I just tried Assassins Creed on my PC and it is awful. I'm 25 and modern games make me feel old.