Quantcast

Time for new fork, 2012 Fox vs Marzocchi

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah and if you do that you'll loose warranty, at least in germany. If you want to keep your warranty Fox or the importer forces you to let maintenance work only do through an autorized service partner while keeping the intervals fox dictates which means that you actually have to pay several hundred € on top if you don't want to loose warranty.
Yeah that is silly, but in fairness not fault of Fox or the product itself. As you can see full service manuals are provided and thus customers are encouraged to perform their own servicing - obviously within their mechanical skill and aptitude level.

You're applying your personal / your country's situation to the entire world which isn't really correct. This is obviously an issue to be taken up with the distributor, or Fox directly if the distributor is acting out of line.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
a-c is a 591. i dont understand what you mean by no lower crown. isn't it just distance from where the crown race sits to the axle?

I thought the Dorado had a slightly lower A-C than the 888? At least that's how it looked when I had one and I put them side by side. Remember, no lower crown.

I had a Dorado for year before it got jacked, and the thing was incredible. Makes everything else feel like riding a mid-90's XR200 compared to a works level 2012 outdoor MX bike. I really couldn't find any faults with it...and those that know me know that I find faults in everything. The steering response was probably a tiny bit slower on big wall-like berms, but I think that's more an issue of wheel flop resulting the total offset in the fork. I'm really curious to know measurements crown/dropout offset of all these different forks.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yes, but they can allow for a much shorter compressed height above the axle without that lower arch getting in the way. The tire can come closer to the lower crown.

There seemed to be a lot more room for adjustment on that chassis too from what I remember.

I almost typed "clown" instead of "crown"...

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
But isn't static height static height? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Yes, but they can allow for a much shorter compressed height above the axle without that lower arch getting in the way. The tire can come closer to the lower crown.

There seemed to be a lot more room for adjustment on that chassis too from what I remember.

I almost typed "clown" instead of "crown"...

Optimax150

Monkey
Aug 1, 2008
Japan
Thanks for the replies.
I pretty much got my mind made up and go with the 2012 fox 40. I looked at some vids of maintance and my the sounds of the maintance part of it will be no big deal, like my 888.
One thing is the break mounts. It's IS. I was reading in a review to use a 160mm adapter to use a 203mm rotor. I think it seems if your using a 203mm rotor should use a 203mm adapter. This will my first fox fork so I don't know much amout there standards.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah you use a 160mm adapter (standard IS-to-post) to use a 203mm rotor. If it makes it easier to understand, I don't think it's physically possible to put a 160mm IS mount on such a large lower leg (or at least would be difficult), hence the slight deviation from convention.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
You'll sacrifice the sensitivity and support of the coil spring, as well as the stiffness and adjustability of the dual crown. You'll gain a much, much lighter fork. If you're going that route, get the 1.5" or tapered and consider the VAN also.

It's really not the same ball game, you'd want to take a good look at the riding you're doing to decide between a 40 and 36. It's probably the sort of thing you'll have a much better grasp on than the internet public will.