Quantcast

Time for some new tyres?

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
As we're down to the last set of Minions, It's time to get a little stock in.

I've not been massively impressed with them, they seem alright, but nothing great, hence looking for a change. More recently i've been running a 42a front & 60a rear, haven't really noticed a lack of grip, but I have noticed they don't break down anywhere near as quickly. I've been on Minions for a while, but think I prefered the High Rollers from previously.

Coupled with the huge price increases on Maxxis tyres over the past 18 or so months, I can pretty much get anything from the competition for cheaper.

I'm a 2 tyre person, it's either sh*tty enough for Wetscreams, or not. My only criteria is sticking with something that comes up around the same size/weight as a Maxxis 2.5".

Michelin WildRock'R look good, as do the Grip'R, Schwalbe Muddy Mary's, Conti Der Kaiser's or even the new Specialized choices (seem hard to get hold of in the UK?). Is there a decent review of all the main players out there I have missed, or does anyone have any decent time on the above?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
there was a thread kicking around called the "not maxxis not sharpie" thread or something like that. A bunch of riders were kicking around different tire ideas.

I'd really love to add a cumulative tire review thread to the FAQ. I know that I'm looking for at least one new tire and would love to try something different than the industry standard 2.5 DHF 3C. If for nothing else, so that I can replace them before they fully wear out with new tires, rather than waiting and getting the fully 70 bucks worth...my rear tire is getting baaald.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
pretty happy with the continental der kaisers and rain king/der baron tires.

you need to run them pretty firm with a tube (30psi front, 34psi rear for me), but they ride great at this pressure IMO. they get too round on narrower (like 28mm) rims, but have an awesome profile on the 31-35mm rims.

personally over the cash, even at wholesale, that maxxis is charging for DHF's.

just my .02

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I got a set of hillbilly dh's(specialized) to try out, the 2.3 looks roughly the same size as a 2.5 dhf. With my LBS carrying specialized it's a cheaper option to the dhfs. Pumped to try them out(stoked to ride in general)

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
maxxis minion dhr 2.35 rear 2ply 60a
specialized 2.3 1.5 ply front
feel great and the weight is less than running 2 2.5 maxxis 2 ply tires

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Other than Maxxis, I've been liking Continental Kaisers and Barons lately. But they're on the same price level unfortunately.

Best deal I just jumped on? Schwalbe Muddy Marys for $37 on Chainlove.com. They had ooey gooey and triple nano 2.5's to pick from. At that price, I figured some testing would be fun...

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I was a maxxis rider for many many years... I really thought i would never change

However a continental team rider gave me some of his once used prototype continental kaisers. Now i had them in my shed for 4 months before i had the balls to change from maxxis to them.

Then i did, and i was very very impressed.!! In the wet they where amazing, and in the dry they seem to be as good and presdictable as any maxxis tyre i had.:weee:

I dont think mine differ to much from the rest. i think they just have a slightly diffrent compound of rubber.:thumb:

Really recommend them

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
Im going for Der baron front and kaisers rear next time.

Btw -C- The summum rides absolutely amazing now i got my Stoy dialled in for it ;)

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
I think i've discounted the Specialized, as they seem next to impossible to get hold of over here.

I guess its a 3 way fight between the Conti's, Michelins & Schwalbe's. All can be had for ~£30 each, so it comes down to taking the plunge and trying something new or sticking with the Michelin option that pretty much looks the same as a High Roller. Boring, but should be predictable. Does anyone know what the longevity of the Michelin's is like, more specifically the WildRock'R? Probably go for the 2.25" as they come up pretty big apparently.

Something a little more durable than a 42a maxxis would be great, without a grip sacrifice.

Deano - good stuff! I'm in the same boat with the Legend, Definatly sticking with large bikes from now on :)

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
on the schwalbes.

Muddy marys, is deffo a worthwile tire to try. i tried some this spring, and i was actually very impressed. i found them to grip better allround then the minions when i got the pressure set right.

Reason im going with the Contis though is the Barons seem to grip as good in the dry as anything, but shines when it gets wet, and i ride a lot of rooty stuff, and the kaisers have a ..tiny tiny bit less grip, but dig in good when leaned over enough. + both are extremely long lasting.

Folks i know that burn up tires claim they been able to ride the contis for 3-4x longer then maxxis ones.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I have a 2.3 Specialized Butcher DH on my bike as a rear tire and so far it's great. Had tried Conti Rubber Queen (aka Trail King) UST out front, great traction but the bead is to loose and I've had if blow off on me twice now.

For those using the kisers - how tight do they fit?

olie

Chimp
Nov 7, 2004
Newcastle, Uk
Hi All,

Also in the same boat, looking for two new tyres. Currently ride Michy Comp 16's (2.5" F and 2.2" R). I run these on 823's, tubeless with a bit of Stan's. I've ran this set up for years and love it, wear is great, grip is great, they mount up well tubeless and I've never lost any significant pressure when riding!

I don't ride very often and never change my tyres, so I need something that can run in pretty much any condition, from hard pack to loam and mud. They are also going to be ran tubeless, so ideally be ust compatible.

I'm looking at Muddy Mary's (heard great things about them), but have no idea which compound would be better, VertStar or GooeyGluey, but am also open to suggestions!

Ideally, if they were available at ChainReaction that would be great, as i have a £30 voucher for there!

Any help would be appreciated!

Olie

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I love Maxxis High Rollers in the right conditions but they dont perform well when they are get to a certain point of use and it doesnt take long to get there. With the price of tires this is definately an issue. I had great results for AM with a High Roller front and Advantage rear.
I really like Minions for most conditions. My 3C up front didnt wear well at all and bits broke off really quickly. The ST up front is great and wears alot more evenly. I run a 60A out back and this is a great setup.
I really like the Muddy Mary Goey Gluey up front but judging by the wear rate I wouldnt run this in the rear. Unfortunately I havent been able to get the other compund in 2.35 from CRC for like a year. So I have just been using my Big Betty out back and I like the braking characteristics but if its not hardpack then I find its average in cornering. I dont like the Big Betty up front. I would really like to try a Muddy Mary rear in a durable compund with a Dirty Dan front for this rainy season. I have a Wicked Will to try for hardpack and AM stuff which I plan to run with a Minion Exo up front. I am hoping this will give me good weight and rolling resistance.
I am running Swampthings from 1 week ago with the arrival of the rains and this works well for the conditions I have and these are from last season where I had good results but only a handfull of rides. They seem to handle soft wet to slippery hardpack and even dry conditions quite well and prevents changing tires unecessarily. I have been a bit hesitant to go for a full spike because of hardpack conditions in between the wet soft rides. This is where I feel a Dirty Dan front Muddy Mary rear would be so nice.

I think it would be great to have an unbiased info sharing of tires. Maxxis is not the only tire. Unfortunately Schwalbe are not readily available in all compounds and all sizes. I wouldl like to hear more about Michelin and the performance/wear rate of the continentals has my interest.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I cannot wrap my head around the schwalbe lineup. Is there a guide anywhere that translates the garbage they name their tires to technical specifications, IE 2ply, 42a duro, wet weather/dry weather, etc.? I visit their website and give up because I don't know the difference between gooey gluey and vertstar nor muddy mary (which is not a mud tire) but the derpy dan which is???? wtf?

with that kind of nomenclature I'd rather buy the tried and true 3c DHF and skip ordering the wrong part. I've had great luck in all conditions with new-ish minions but i like SCIENCE and want to be a guinea pig.

SthFRider

Monkey
Apr 16, 2008
Atlanta,Ga
I love the Schwaby muddy marry's insane grip. Super tough. Great in almost any condition for the most part.

I just got the shcwaby big betty for the rear. I'll post up again how the muddy mary front and big betty rear is.

FYI schwables tire sizes are a little off. When they say 2.5 they mean 2.7 in maxxis sizes. So if your wanting to get a schwable tire thats around the same size as a maxxis high roller 2.5 get the schwable 2.35. The schwable 2.4 is almost dead on with maxxis 2.5" the schwable 2.35 is slighty smaller. So unless you want big meats go with the 2.35 or 2.4 in schwables.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Anybody tried the new Hutchinson Cougar. I've been liking my Barracudas, but they're not perfect for everything. The Cougar looks pretty good for harder ground.