Quantcast

Time for some philosophy... concerning bike manufacturing.

CreeP

Monkey
Mar 8, 2002
montreal bitch
just for the sake of argument, if the UCI or norba did introduce a minimum bike weight for DH, what do you think it would be; and seperately, if you had to decide on it what do you think it should be?

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
CreeP said:
just for the sake of argument, if the UCI or norba did introduce a minimum bike weight for DH, what do you think it would be; and seperately, if you had to decide on it what do you think it should be?
Hah, no tellin what the UCI would do, probably ban disc brakes or something,

But what it should be would be the rough equivalent of what an off the shelf, production DH bike would weigh, when equipped with "normal" DH components. I'd say in the neighbourhood of 40 pounds.

In otherwords, something anybody could buy and race, with some safety and durability.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
shock said:
Hah, no tellin what the UCI would do, probably ban disc brakes or something,

But what it should be would be the rough equivalent of what an off the shelf, production DH bike would weigh, when equipped with "normal" DH components. I'd say in the neighbourhood of 40 pounds.

In otherwords, something anybody could buy and race, with some safety and durability.
yup, and i could see lead tape becoming a staple in the WC parts bin...

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I think they'd have to leave room for at least some 'factory-racer trickness' on the bikes...like 38 lbs.

MD

shock

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
zedro said:
yup, and i could see lead tape becoming a staple in the WC parts bin...
True, but I think the main area of weight savings that is unavailable to privateers is in the frame. While you could make a light frame and apply lead tape to the bottom and have a lower cg, that's much less of an advantage than having a frame that's 3-5 pounds lighter.

Ok, you could go light wheels, but light wheels cave in. Light tires and tubes? Pinch flat risk, but if you want, available to anyone, hell I run Kenda climaxes at 390 grams.

Really, the frame is the disposable item on pros bikes, if they wanna run lead tape instead of wall thickness, that still gives privateers a more equal footing if the overall weight is the same.

PaulE

Chimp
Feb 7, 2003
Sheffield, England
but if there's a minimum weight limit, what about people on bikes like patriots, bullits, geminis etc who use the same machine for riding XC too? A friend of mine races DH on a patriot with 5th air shock, and maveric 6" forks.... probably only weighs 32lbs at most! which most people would kill, but she's only 125lbs, and doesn't jump that much. Oh, and also, what about hardtail riders?

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
PaulE said:
but if there's a minimum weight limit, what about people on bikes like patriots, bullits, geminis etc who use the same machine for riding XC too? A friend of mine races DH on a patriot with 5th air shock, and maveric 6" forks.... probably only weighs 32lbs at most! which most people would kill, but she's only 125lbs, and doesn't jump that much. Oh, and also, what about hardtail riders?
The minimum weight limit would only be for World Cup and top level Norba downhill races, not for recreational riders.

I could see how this would make the playing feild a bit more even for the non-factory guys who might have to run parts that are a bit burlier so they will make through the season. Unlike those who throw away light parts and replace them with new stuff on a weekly basis.

I am in a similiar position as the factory guys. I used to run the biggest, heaviest, toughest parts in hope that the stuff would last because I rode hard and couldn't afford new stuff. Now because of where I work, I often go downhilling and do big drops on xc lightweight style equipment. When something breaks I replace it the next day at work, no problem. :thumb: