Quantcast

Time for ti?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Thinking about one of these ti softtails. Anyone have any thoughts on this design.

2 different ones are being considered as well as one other wile a lot less travel:

Generic Cycles - 4" Softtail
Funk - La Ruta
Dean - Duke

Both the Generic and the Funk use a flex plate instead of a pivot. Looks susceptible to twisting to me, but I'm being told the rearend is pretty stiff. The Dean looks really good, but I'm thinking that's not enough travel for what I like to ride.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My Seven ti road bike is 8 years old. I could have it refinished and it would look brand new. It still rides great today.

However, I have always been reluctant to even suggest a ti full suspension bike.

Take the Seven Duo-Lux:

You don't get any advantages of weight or stiffness over alu or carbon, but you do have a bike that will last for 20+ years. But imagine the chuckles you will receive when you show up on even a ride today, much less in 2020.

A softtail does fall into a funny category. Very likely, it will last for 10+ years and perform the same the entire time. And the simplicity will never go out of style.

I've ridden a Scalpel and it seemed fine. I thought climbing traction was decent, and it was a little plusher than a regular hardtail. But I haven't ridden another softtail since, and I have 4 hardtails for XC riding.

Getting a ti bike, even a softtail, is a great idea. If you don't mind spending $$$$, it is a good choice.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
have you considered a Scalpel? the lifetime warranty is nice to have
I have... pretty sure I want a ti bike. Been drooling over ti hardtails for years. I love the thought of a ti softtail, love the raw looks of ti, finally will have a bike with a fair amount of travel that can mount 2 bottles inside the triangle. I'm basically set on it.

I was just wondering what everyone though of that pivot-less flex-plate idea... these bikes are getting 4" of travel. Not your typical softtail. I'm not sold on it's lateral stiffness... looks like it'd twist easily. It's between this design or a Dean ACE type bike.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have... pretty sure I want a ti bike. Been drooling over ti hardtails for years. I love the thought of a ti softtail, love the raw looks of ti, finally will have a bike with a fair amount of travel that can mount 2 bottles inside the triangle. I'm basically set on it.
So if its crap design and the bike rides like a sponge it all fine as long as it meet your above criteria? If you are basically set on it what are you asking us for? I personally would never buy a TI suspension bike. A TI hard tail maybe.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
So if its crap design and the bike rides like a sponge it all fine as long as it meet your above criteria? If you are basically set on it what are you asking us for? I personally would never buy a TI suspension bike. A TI hard tail maybe.
I'm set on ti. Below that bit that you quoted I mentioned that I'm between the flex plate design and a design like the Dean Ace, which is a traditional FS bike, just made of ti.