Quantcast

Time Magazine - top 10 electric guitar players

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yngwie Malmsteen
The Swede's superfast "neoclassical" style — he credits Bach and Paganini as influences — is a blur of scales and technical precision. It almost makes you forget that the great bulk of his music is so fast that it's unlistenable.
WTF???

#11 bonus guitarist
Johnny Ramone
No one hated guitar solos more than Johnny Ramone, so it's not surprising he perfected the punk style, packing chords together tightly and leaving no space for freelancing.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Prince is an awesome guitar player. I don't know what you guys are on about. He's a total Hendrix disciple.

He's more deserving of being listed on there than Keith Richards or Slash....
i've heard that from others, but man, i just can't get past all the crap pop music he has put out that isn't guitar driven. i think as good as he may be with the guitar, he is also equal amounts of awful-with-music, and they cancel each other out, leaving him as "meh" at best.

btw - people who claim they like Prince as a guitarist are on par with those who claim they like the music of Dave Matthews Band; doucebags, plain and simple. it's art for people who don't know art.

Last edited:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I can walk into any open mic / blues jam night and find some guitard who has figured out how to shred Hendrix licks and riffs as well as Prince can. Those guys are good players too, and by your he-can-copycat-Hendrix standard, as good as Prince, yet they haven't made the list (for some strange reason) :rolleyes:

Slash, isn't my favorite guitarist, and he isn't the fastest or most innovative either, but he is Slash; you know it is him when he plugs in and there is no doubt he rocks. Just like BB King and Clapton, he has a voice, even if he isn't pushing the technical bounds of the electric guitar.

And what of the Alien himself - Vai???

and one more thing...
Where the hell are The Brothers Young (two big balls, one hard unit).

Last edited:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
i've heard that from others, but man, i just can't get past all the crap pop music he has put out that isn't guitar driven. i think as good as he may be with the guitar, he is also equal amounts of awful-with-music, and they cancel each other out, leaving him as "meh" at best.

btw - people who claim they like Prince as a guitarist are on par with those who claim they like the music of Dave Matthews Band; doucebags, plain and simple. it's art for people who don't know art.
Bull****.

I have an mp3 of Prince live covering Honkey Tonk Woman. The guitar intro on it is awesome. When I let people listen to it they never guess it's prince. You need to listen to more music.

Like it or not, Prince is a great musician. Many other musicians including Vai and Satriani have also said as much.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I can walk into any open mic / blues jam night and find some guitard who has figured out how to shred Hendrix licks and riffs as well as Prince can. Those guys are good players too, and by your he-can-copycat-Hendrix standard, as good as Prince, yet they haven't made the list (for some strange reason) :rolleyes:
Wow.....your opinion is wrong.

What instrument do you play in your band, out of genuine (not sarcastic) curiosity?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Brian Patrick Carroll (nominated by various musician publications rather than general interest)

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Wow.....your opinion is wrong.

What instrument do you play in your band, out of genuine (not sarcastic) curiosity?

My opinion is my opinion, neither right or wrong, just mine.

I'm the bassist in my band. I started playing guitar, but picked up a bass years ago to get gigs (too many guitarists in LA, and I was never that good, the ears were willing, but the fingers were weak). I've found more enjoyment for myself playing bass, and I now consider that my primary instrument.

I spent years as a guitard, trying to learn all the tech stuff I could. I shut myself in with issues of Guitar magazine, reading articles, studying theory, taking lessons, going to see the big names when they came to town (including Les Paul, rest his soul) and playing with some local greats at open jams. I listened to everything from blues and classical to jazz and metal. I'm pretty well versed in the world of guitarists. I've heard the Prince claims before, but I just don't buy it. I'm not saying he isn't capable of playing and writing stuff people like, but he just doesn't move me. There are several others on the list that I don't listen to often, or even like, but I can see why they made it. For the record, if I hear Zeplin on the radio, the station changes.

I'm not saying Prince isn't a good guitarist, I'm just saying there are others who should easily bump him out of the top 10.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
What about Mark Knophfphler?
YES!!!!! he is one of my all time favorites. these top # lists are pretty subjective. just what were the criteria for this particular list? we all have our favorite players, for me, how prince gets on before Eric Johnson is beyond my comprehension. same for SRV. i'd actually put SRV before EVH. Slash being on the list is another. there are plenty of others to take his place. Duane Allman anyone? Kenny Wayne Sheppard? to see Malmsteen make the list is pretty funny to me. yes, he's a hell of a guitar player but has been pretty irrelivant for quite sometime. how bout replacing him with Paul Gilbert?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Funny, I got into this discussion with some guys at my work after I saw the trailer for this documentary.

It Might Get Loud. Feat Jimmy Page, The Edge & Jack White

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ted Nugent. And then the guy from Styx. If they ever got together with the singer from Night Ranger now that would be one hell of a super group.. I should get paid to think of stuff like this... Pure Genius!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
All great...but my favs...

1. Hendrix
2. Vaughn
3. Jeff Beck
4. EVH
5. BB King (But more for his bringing the blues to the general public...)
6. Peter Townsend
7. Jimmy Page
8. Dick Dale
9. Chet Atkins
10. Satriani/Vai (Because they are really the same player...)

Honorable mentions-
-Les Paul (For his contributions to tone and recording/music in general)
-Brian Setzer- Resusitated rock-a-billy...whether it needed it or not
-Colin James is awesome...but not really top 10 ever type stuff. I love almost everything he has done.
- Lonny Mack
- Jimmy Vaughn, for his influence on Stevie
- The other Kings, Albert and Freddie
- Kenny Wayne Shepherd...for keeping white boy blues viable

Many more...but I am geting drunk...more important things to do...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Ted Nugent. And then the guy from Styx. If they ever got together with the singer from Night Ranger now that would be one hell of a super group.. I should get paid to think of stuff like this... Pure Genius!
You cant be serious. Please, tell me you arent serious. You have sobered me up in one fell swoop...

Oh yeah, add Carlos Devadip Santana to my honorable mention list. I passed out at a Santana show...in the midst of one of his solos...whne I came to, MFer was still at it. No one in the are cold tell me ho long it had gone on or I had been out...

Last edited: