Quantcast

Time Magazine - top 10 electric guitar players

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ted Nugent. And then the guy from Styx. If they ever got together with the singer from Night Ranger now that would be one hell of a super group.. I should get paid to think of stuff like this... Pure Genius!
With CC DeVille and Tommy Lee on drums, but he has to play one armed like the dude from Def Leppard.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
and one more thing...
Where the hell are The Brothers Young (two big balls, one hard unit).
Those two brothers have been responsible for more hearing loss than any other siblings in history. How did my mate describe it, "that clean burning guitar sound". What a band they were.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
here are my top 10 electric guitar players, in no particular order:

don 'buck dharma' roeser (blue oyster cult)
marc ribot (electric masada, tom waits, john zorn, etc)
tony iommi (black sabbath)
steven r smith (hala strana, thuja, solo)
johnny marr (smiths)
neil young
john fahey
john mcgeoch (siouxsie/banshees, magazine, PiL, etc)
greg weeks (espers, solo)
robyn hitchcock (soft boys, solo)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
go listen to the tragically hip or some other nonsense. neil's an awesome player. you don't need to wank like malmsteen to be an effective player.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
go listen to the tragically hip or some other nonsense. neil's an awesome player. you don't need to wank like malmsteen to be an effective player.
I'm not a fan of long self indulgent solos either....

But seriously.....what song is it? SOuthern man (among others), whether he spends 90 seconds doing nothing be repeating the SAME off-key note like a friggin hotel room alarm clock?

I'm a better guitar player than Neil Young. And I'm not very good.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
examples of Neil's greatness:

cowgirl in the sand
cortez the killer
revolution blues
dangerbird
eldorado

i dig the one note riffs.

and even if you are a better guitarist than Neil, technically, you are certainly not a better songwriter. not many are.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
had some chit chat with friends yesterday on this topic. i was shocked that one of my buds was opposed to the BB King selection, saying BB can't play chords; an interesting comment from someone who has wide musical tastes and plenty of skills on the six-string.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My friend Alex is an amazing guitarist but you probably haven't heard of him as he is afraid to leave his house. I buy him groceries and pick up the prostitute he favors and he plays for me. I have tried to get him to play out but he fights it tooth and nail and the last time I tried to get him to leave his house with his guitar he bit me on the arm and I had to zip tie him to a chair to get him to calm down. Now that his nails are long again... I am to afraid of him to try and get him to leave his house with the guitar. I have to take him to the doctors on Wednesday and I am not looking forward to that. I am hoping he has gotten over acting like a cat...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
...and one more thing, where the hell is this guy on that list?

not even on the Rolling Stone top 100 - ack!

Rolling Stone top 25 "Underrated"
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/10/01/the-twenty-five-most-underrated-guitarists/
1. Prince
2. Kurt Cobain
3. Neil Young
4. George Harrison
5. Ace Frehley
6. Mike McCready
7. Lindsey Buckingham
8. Mick Taylor
9. Nels Cline
10. Johnny Greenwood
11. Tom Verlaine
12. Carrie Brownstein
13. Mick Jones
14. Robert Fripp
15. Johnny Marr
16. John Frusciante
17. Izzy Stradlin
18. Daniel Johns
19. Vernon Reid
20. Robbie Robertson
21. Mick Ronson
22. Billy Corgan
23. Elliott Smith
24. Eddie Hazel
25. Phil Keaggy

poo on that list. Izzy Stradlin? Why not just put Ronald Reagan on the list.

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
...and one more thing, where the hell is this guy on that list?

not even on the Rolling Stone top 100 - ack!

Rolling Stone top 25 "Underrated"
http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2007/10/01/the-twenty-five-most-underrated-guitarists/
1. Prince
2. Kurt Cobain
3. Neil Young
4. George Harrison
5. Ace Frehley
6. Mike McCready
7. Lindsey Buckingham
8. Mick Taylor
9. Nels Cline
10. Johnny Greenwood
11. Tom Verlaine
12. Carrie Brownstein
13. Mick Jones
14. Robert Fripp
15. Johnny Marr
16. John Frusciante
17. Izzy Stradlin
18. Daniel Johns
19. Vernon Reid
20. Robbie Robertson
21. Mick Ronson
22. Billy Corgan
23. Elliott Smith
24. Eddie Hazel
25. Phil Keaggy

poo on that list. Izzy Stradlin? Why not just put Ronald Reagan on the list.
how in hell is phil keaggy not #1? no, seriously?

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i think that people over at RS were bored and needed to fill some space and get some dialog going out here in cyberland. i'll throw out a name of a guy who's playing i really enjoy... Todd Nichols of Toad the Wet Sprocket. why? because his playing adds to the song, it doesn't necesarily stand out at times, nothing over the top. but for me it does what it should to support the song. i think of Pete Townsend the same way.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
i think that people over at RS were bored and needed to fill some space and get some dialog going out here in cyberland. i'll throw out a name of a guy who's playing i really enjoy... Todd Nichols of Toad the Wet Sprocket. why? because his playing adds to the song, it doesn't necesarily stand out at times, nothing over the top. but for me it does what it should to support the song. i think of Pete Townsend the same way.
Ahhh, that is the crux of the issue: Is it the guitarists ability to manipulate the instrument as a soloist and push the technical boundaries with razzle dazzle, or his ability to play the right part for the song, or some blend of those two? One side of that coin is being a good guitar player, and the other is being a well rounded musician.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
THat's kindof why I don't really like Eric Clapton all that much....take the solo for Crossroads.....GET OFF THE 15th fret for crissakes! Too high....too fast....

That's actually I like the Hip's solos...(suck it narlus!) Many solos hover around the 5th fret...more pleasing to my ear

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Of course guy....little known....just unbelievable. gordie Johnson formerly of Big Sugar, now of some Texas band called Grady....used to consist of Gordie and Double Trouble. NOt sure who's in the band now.

But he is just awesome....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Awww, I love Ted!!!

How about Rolling Stong top 100 guitar Songs of all time?
The link to the list

Lotsa great guitar songs here, not all by the great guitarists. Again we see the technique vs the song armwreslting match.

Honestly, Mike Jackson's "Beat It"? wtf? sure EVH shreds the solo, but the rest of the song?

Let's not forget Dick Dale!