Quantcast

Time pedals hard as a mofo to take out.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I don't screw them in too tight and I always put grease on the threads but after a couple of rides, when I try to take them out it is a struggle...any suggestions?

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
hey Doug what kind of wrench are you using ,I hope it is a pedal wrench :eek: ,If you are using a standard wrench the wrench rub`s against the arm and act`s like it is really tight :(

WebCyclery

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Beautiful Bend, OR
Yeah, they are a pain in the butt. That was one of the reasons I was hesitant to make the switch. But I just got my first set and I really like them (except for the installation/removal).

As far as tips go, uh, I don't know what to tell you. I guess the best thing is to get a really long allen wrench.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Originally posted by Dog Welder
They don't use regular pedal wrenchs.
Yes they do. The box wrench simply makes removing the pedals faster once they are loose. It also makes installing faster but you still need to put a pedal wrench on them to get proper torque.

Ranger

Swift, Silent, Deadly!
Aug 16, 2001
Y'all can't see me...
Servus!

DW - if you are taking your pedals off regularly I would suggest talking with your local wrench and having him advise you on the correct wrench or tool to use and then BUY IT! The cost will be infinitely cheaper than stripping out your crankarm or rounding off the pedal axle.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Grease the threads, and do not overtighten, just snug them up. Pedal threads are designed so when you are pedaling you are rotating the pedals in the same direction as if you were tightening - so the pedals don't fall off! Therefore, you don't need to tighten them very much.

I have 3 bikes and 2 pair of Times that I switch between the bikes on a regular basis and never have any trouble getting them off w/ a standard hex wrench. I've also never had them get loose on a ride.

Are you sure you didn't first attempt to take them off by wrenching in the wrong direction and tighten them up in the process?

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Wait a minute. I could have sworn that the Time pedals I owned used a 6 mm allen head and had no wrench flats. Did they change? Am I out to lunch?

Grease or anti seize the threads liberaly before installing and there should be no issue gettin' 'em off. Put them on with a short wrench and remove with a cheater bar. The threads do cause the pedals to tighten themselves a bit with use. That's why ones left hand and the other right hand.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Oldfart, they have both 6mm allen head and pedal flats. At least the '00 Allium's I have do, as do the Carbon and Comp models I sell.

WebCyclery

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Beautiful Bend, OR
Yeah, all of the Aliums that we have in stock will accept a regular pedal wrench, but not the regular ATAC and ATAC Carbon, etc. They (at least the ones that we have) will only take an allen wrench.