Quantcast

Time To Destroy STRAVA Records.....

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Keep in mind this is less than many E MTBs and well yeah.........

Power: 80hp

Weight: 110kg fully charged

Wheel torque: 938 Nm

Range: Up to 6 hours

Charging time: 1 to 2 hours

Battery capacity: 6kWh

Suspension

310 mm travel Front/Rear KYB

Ride modes: More than 100

Adjustability: Power curve, engine braking, flywheel effect & traction control

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001

Suspension

If that does what it says it can, the needle has just moved dramatically.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada

Suspension

...and at a projected $13.500 - so inline with a top end e-mtb.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Good lord, how is that even possible. I mean, my KTM Freeride E-xc is the equivalent of 30hp at 245lbs and it is breakneck fast with a twist.

I wanted one of the KTMs to beat a few ass hats that have been cutting trails etc in the area to get KOMs. This is a similar price. How does the KTM ride?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Good lord, how is that even possible. I mean, my KTM Freeride E-xc is the equivalent of 30hp at 245lbs and it is breakneck fast with a twist.
Electric motors are rated differently than ICEs. An electric motor's power output is largely limited by heat build up vs airflow in a gas engine. So that 80hp is probably only possible for a few seconds. They should publish the various duty cycles. An electric motor that can produce 80hp continuously will probably weigh several hundred lbs.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
Electric motors are rated differently than ICEs. An electric motor's power output is largely limited by heat build up vs airflow in a gas engine. So that 80hp is probably only possible for a few seconds. They should publish the various duty cycles. An electric motor that can produce 80hp continuously will probably weigh several hundred lbs.
Thus is why I asked how it was possible. Unless they are using some caps with huge ESC's I dont know how the lithium battery technology can keep up with so called 80hp at 6 hours. It just doesn't make sense. I ride for 2 hours on my freeride and you can fry an egg on the ESC banks and see battery cap drop like a rock. Its possible they may be using some sort of sine inverter tech to boost but only time will tell.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thus is why I asked how it was possible. Unless they are using some caps with huge ESC's I dont know how the lithium battery technology can keep up with so called 80hp at 6 hours. It just doesn't make sense. I ride for 2 hours on my freeride and you can fry an egg on the ESC banks and see battery cap drop like a rock. Its possible they may be using some sort of sine inverter tech to boost but only time will tell.

I guarantee you that it can't sustain that power for long, for both thermal reasons and battery capacity.

It only has a 6kWh battery, so at an impossible 100% efficiency that 6 hour rating is only at 1.3 horsepower.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I mean a full MOTO is 45 minutes. If a 450 is just under 60HP native maybe the bike can maintain 75% power for 45 minutes? That's the only way it could work as a race bike. I have shot enough Hangtown Nationals to know those top 5-8 guys are pinned for 45 minutes. The other 45-42 in the field are probably like 40 minutes wide open......

aenema

almost 100% positive
Sep 5, 2008
Their vid says that 80 is peak and it runs at 60 at normal high output power mode. The 6 hours is for trail mode and supposedly you can go anywhere form 125cc 2 stroke power equivalent to 650cc 4 stroke power with the electronics. Still no clutch though and I think that is a big black mark for trail riding. Electric Motion only production bike doing that, that I've found. If money were no object, I'd have one of their trials bike in my garage right now.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I mean a full MOTO is 45 minutes. If a 450 is just under 60HP native maybe the bike can maintain 75% power for 45 minutes? That's the only way it could work as a race bike. I have shot enough Hangtown Nationals to know those top 5-8 guys are pinned for 45 minutes. The other 45-42 in the field are probably like 40 minutes wide open......

It could only average around 10 HP for 45 minutes before the battery runs out.

You get 8 minutes at 60 HP.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
It could only average around 10 HP for 45 minutes before the battery runs out.

You get 8 minutes at 60 HP.
Even in the slickest conditions and pinned on the throttle in stuff like snow and mud and hitting 50mph, I cant get more than 1 hour out of the freeride. And thats rated at 20hp+ at 9kw. I am with you on this one @Westy I dont see the math adding up in the real world.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So if dirt bikes did Whoop drag races it might win......wonder how fast I could ride up some trails around here?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Even in the slickest conditions and pinned on the throttle in stuff like snow and mud and hitting 50mph, I cant get more than 1 hour out of the freeride. And thats rated at 20hp+ at 9kw. I am with you on this one @Westy I dont see the math adding up in the real world.
Does yours have regen? That should add a good chunk of run time in most cases.

It does sound pretty optimistic though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It is pretty basic physics. I don't question what they are claiming, just that they are leaving out a lot of details.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
What’s Ohio think of these? Any ideas about the battery tech or motor cooling?
LOL

Just texted him.

I don't know about him but so far that looks like investor driven theory with a bunch of douchebags as the face of the company (not the riders, the hair gel). Like tesla but probably smarter.

Hope I'm wrong. Just seems weird that if was that great, no one ever heard of them until this big reveal

At least they're using KYB stuff and not WP garbage just to look like KTM like alta did.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I really don’t understand with all of those dudes standing around, and a few minutes passing, that someone didn’t toss that dude’s sur-Ron off the edge of that trail, and into the rutabagas.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I really don’t understand with all of those dudes standing around, and a few minutes passing, that someone didn’t toss that dude’s sur-Ron off the edge of that trail, and into the rutabagas.
Politeness and social norms? They said they “knew” he was going to take off after he left. Maybe, we are all a bunch of teddy bears talking the big talk?

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
There is a small group of guys that cruise around on Surons looking stupid (like they dont quite know what to do with them). They are quick off the mark, but look too small to me. Maybe weight?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
There is a small group of guys that cruise around on Surons looking stupid (like they dont quite know what to do with them). They are quick off the mark, but look too small to me. Maybe weight?

I think the fastest one of those hits 60+. It's a bit cheaper than this MOTO but 100x lamer.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
What I need is an early 2000s KTM DS bike with plates. Then the plate off that mounted to this bikes rear fender. A few crappy turn signals and lights. Then some SUPERMOTO wheels and it will be the perfect commuter.....