Quantcast

time to get back into shape

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
First, a little background.
When I was in college(approx 6 years ago), I played a lot of pickup basketball. My diet sucked, I drank a lot of beer, but was still a bean pole (5' 9", 145-150lbs). After I graduated, I got married, got lazy, quit drinking, but continued my crappy diet. Now I'm 5'9", 180lbs. So I've got to think that it's all about my metablism.

It's time to get back into shape.

Here are my priorities, in order:
- increase cardiovascular endurance
- slim down/burn fat
- add muscle definition (i.e. shape - abs, arms, chest, shoulders)
- strengthen core muscles
- add muscle mass (arms, chest, legs, shoulders, etc.)

SIDE NOTE: it's unrealistic to think I will change my diet. That's just the way it is.

My biggest problem is time. As I said, I'm married, but I also have a 2 year old. My wife works a lot of evenings, so the only time I can consistantly dedicate to getting back into shape is in the morning, before work. I live in the northeast, so outdoor activity is not an option - I have to be to work by 7:30, and it's too cold and too dark at 6:00am to be on the trails. So I'm probably going to be joining a gym. Problem is, they open at 6. So basically, I have an hour to work with.

So, my plan is to do cardio work for 1 hour, 5 days a week. This will primarily be on the tread mill and stationary bike. This should definitely increase my endurance, and hopefully it will also burn away some fat. My goal is to get down to 165. I'm hoping I can do this in 2 month's time, but I don't know how realistic that is.

From there, I'll continue the cardio 2 days a week, and hit the weights 3 days a week. Initially it will be with lighter weights and more reps to get some definition, then I'll move onto heavier weights and fewer reps to add some size.

All this will be in addition to any biking I do.

Thoughts? Is this a good plan? I'm going to meet with one of the "trainers" at the gym once I join... but I'm not sure how knowledgable they are.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by jacksonpt
Yea, I got it. I saw the pic of the frame, and I'm waiting for pics of the lights.
This weekend hopefully biatch! I have all the stuff at my apt. so I think I'll start working on them tomorrow. My parent's are out of town so I'm going to go over and use their garage!

Um I'm in the same situation as you as far as your shape, or needing to get into. I've put on WAY to much weight sitting here at my desk.

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
well unfortunately, all the work working out in the world won't help you if you dont' modify your diet in some way... that's just fact.

that's not to say that you have to "change" everything you eat, it may be as simple as re-adjusting portions, or substituting foods through out?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by DHRacer
well unfortunately, all the work working out in the world won't help you if you dont' modify your diet in some way... that's just fact.

that's not to say that you have to "change" everything you eat, it may be as simple as re-adjusting portions, or substituting foods through out?
I've started eating more grains and bran. It's made a huge difference.

Now on the weekends instead of running out to get 2 eggs, homefries bacon and toast I have a bowl of oatmeal. Sometimes on Sunday's I'll treat myself to an egg sandwich.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at

I disagree. Changing your diet will make a difference, but you can also eat crappy and still loose weight. It will just take a whole lot more effort working out.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
My diet is better now than it was in college, yet I continue to put on weight. I'm sure many of you know this stuff better than I do, but I know my body, and I believe that exercise and my metabolism are the keys to my success. An improved diet would certainly help, but I don't think it's crucial.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
the only time I can consistantly dedicate to getting back into shape is in the morning, before work.

Your body type and schedule sounds pretty similar to mine.
About 2 years ago I was able to transform my, what I like to call "first real job body" back into shape. Along with biking, I went out and purchased the following. (you need at least a small room or corner of a room, garage)

an adjustable weight bench (it was like $100 from Sports Authority). It adjusts from Flat to 90 degrees and also has a preacher curl thing and leg extension. (I took off the leg extension). I also bought 4 sets of dumb-bells
15lbs
25lbs
30lbs
45lbs

Every morning I am able to get in a solid 20 minutes of uninterrupted work-out. If you work out with weights at an accelerated pace you can also get your heart rate going pretty good. Just do not rest (too much) between sets, and go a little lighter than you would if you are trying to push it. I do what I call "circuit training," so instead of doing 3 sets of this, then 3 sets of that, I have like 5 or 6 excercises planed, go from one motion to the next, and then repeat "the circuit".

It was the best thing I had ever done. I had joined gyms before, but I always seemed to taper off going. It is HARD to leave your house at 5:30am to go to the gym and come back (and I live in FL where I dont have to battle driving in SNOW!). With the stuff being at home, I just rolled out of bed, and work out in the same boxers I slept in.

I'm not trying to deter you from a Gym, I will probably joing one soon, because after 2 years I am getting a little tired of my routine. But at this point I am already dedicated to keeping in shape, getting started and in the habit was the hard part!

FYi...
"First real job body" = 5 10, 225lbs 38" waist
right now = (i am injured) ~ 190 - 34" waist
When I combine hitting the weights and riding 175 - 32" waist

ps... I did change my diet, but not considerably. I still eat like crap more often than not.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
FYi...
"First real job body" = 5 10, 225lbs 38" waist
right now = (i am injured) ~ 190 - 34" waist
When I combine hitting the weights and riding 175 - 32" waist
I'm at about 190 and a 36" waist. I want to get down though.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
wow... good stuff, and you're doing this strictly with weights?

I'm 5-9ish, 180lbs, 35" waist - lots of flab
In college, I was 5-9ish, 150lbs, 31" waist - no meat at all
I'd like to be 5-9ish, 170lbs, 32" waist - with some muscle

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
wow... good stuff, and you're doing this strictly with weights?

I'm 5-9ish, 180lbs, 35" waist - lots of flab
In college, I was 5-9ish, 150lbs, 31" waist - no meat at all
I'd like to be 5-9ish, 170lbs, 32" waist - with some muscle
some more info...
My diet... in order to get down to my "riding weight" I have to be a little stricter, but to stay at 180-185 I really just have to be semi-smart about eating. I try to have 2 servings of fruit a day, usually an apple or orange for breakfast and then again in the afternoon, and I try not to eat BIG meals too late at night. Thats about it honestly. I am a single guy, and HUGE college football fan, so going out and drinking are a part of my life. I also have an office job so I eat out for lunch pretty much every day. I do try to eat the healthy options during lunch. ie... a common meal for lunch is the Wendy's chicken Sandwich with a baked potatoe instead of fries and a diet coke or Turkey sub, no mayo that kind of thing. But I still have at least a quart of ice cream every week and the Pizza guy knows my dog's name.

My main point was the whole joining the gym vs the simple things I bought and use. They are a part of my routine now, this is really detailed, but this is how it goes...

Alarm goes off, roll out of bed, let dog out, go into my "other room" where my weights and Ironing board are.
take out pants and shirt to iron, turn on iron
Do circuit 1
15 reps of inclined bench press w/ 45lb dumbells
25 reps of inclined fly w/ 30lb dumbells
15 reps of preacher curl (biceps) with 25lb dumbells
15 reps of military press (shoulders) with 25lb dumbells
30 reps of shrugs with 25lb dumbells
40 reps (20 each arm seperately) concentrated curls with 15lb dumbell.

Iron shirt
Circuit -2
Same excercises
Iron Pants
Circuit -3
Get in shower and go to work.

LOL... was that too much info?:cool:

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by the law
I disagree. Changing your diet will make a difference, but you can also eat crappy and still loose weight. It will just take a whole lot more effort working out.
yeah, maybe if you work out with Lance Armstrong in his training for the TDF:rolleyes:

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
yeah, maybe if you work out with Lance Armstrong in his training for the TDF:rolleyes:
I guess everyone has different experiences. Whenever I have a lot of time and ride my bike I can loose 10 lbs without trying. When I work a lot I gain weight. Obviously you won't loose weight taking the chairlift to the top. :D

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
heck just about anyone, how's not into fitness plan of some kind can shed 5lbs by just increasing their water intake.

but if you are serioulsy looking at dropping weight and getting in better shape, you have to make some adjustments to your eating habits.

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
heck just about anyone, how's not into fitness plan of some kind can shed 5lbs by just increasing their water intake.
Isn't that changing your diet? :D I guess we are arguing non-specifics. If you want a six-pac, yes you will have to give up your beer. If you merely want to slim down, IMO you can still eat crap and spend an extra half hour riding road.