Quantcast

Time to let the Dawg out....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Looks good - give us the rundown on components used. Looks like you found a stem to make the short steerer tube on that fork work huh? No room for stack height adjustment though I see.

Are those cranks the new Shimano LX with outboard bearings??

Enjoy the new ride!!

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
MMcG said:
Looks good - give us the rundown on components used. Looks like you found a stem to make the short steerer tube on that fork work huh? No room for stack height adjustment though I see.

Are those cranks the new Shimano LX with outboard bearings??

Enjoy the new ride!!
RP3 rear shock
X-Gen front derailleur
LX rear derailleur
LX shifters
Juicy 7 brakes and rotors
Talas R fork
LX hollowtech II cranks (You're correct, outboard bearings)
SRAM 11:34 cassette
Cane Creek headset
Shimano/WTB Speed disc wheelset (although I'm looking for something else)
Easton monkeylite carbon bars

The stem is Bontrager off my Trek, and just barely makes it. I've got a SIC LL 40mm stem in the mail currently.

Friday I'm replacing the LX drivetrain with X9 pods and and X0 derailleur. I also need to look for a better saddle that won't cut off the blood supply to the important bits.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
The stem is Bontrager off my Trek, and just barely makes it. I've got a SIC LL 40mm stem in the mail currently.
That's a pretty short stem to run on a trail bike - your steering will be mega quick and you'll have a hard time keeping the front end down on climbs.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
MMcG said:
That's a pretty short stem to run on a trail bike - your steering will be mega quick and you'll have a hard time keeping the front end down on climbs.
It should be about have the length of the one on there now. And I don't think I'll be too bad on the climbs, but if it does become a problem, I can always look around for something different. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll watch and see if I can adjust to it.

In all honesty, I'm expecting to be beaten on climbs, but to make up for it on the way down. :drool:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
It should be about have the length of the one on there now. And I don't think I'll be too bad on the climbs, but if it does become a problem, I can always look around for something different. Thanks for the heads up though, I'll watch and see if I can adjust to it.

In all honesty, I'm expecting to be beaten on climbs, but to make up for it on the way down. :drool:

Did you buy the SIC stem new or used? They have that one model that comes in a size that is up to 80mm I believe. That might provide you with what you are seeking.

With a 40mm stem on the Dawg, and that light Talas fork, you are going to have the front end lift up real easily on climbs, especially short steep east coat type climbs.

Just my thoughts.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
MMcG said:
Did you buy the SIC stem new or used? They have that one model that comes in a size that is up to 80mm I believe. That might provide you with what you are seeking.

With a 40mm stem on the Dawg, and that light Talas fork, you are going to have the front end lift up real easily on climbs, especially short steep east coat type climbs.

Just my thoughts.
I picked it up new from ebikestop (I think that was the name of it).

Actually, their XC stem looks awful (or at least it does in pictures.) Hopefully this will work well enough.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MMcG said:
you are going to have the front end lift up real easily on climbs, especially short steep east coat type climbs.

Just my thoughts.
Note to self: don't ride behind Rob on steep climbs (I've already been hit by his saddle when it flew off last summer!). ;)

j/k Rob, you should talk to Billy and get your weight a little more evenly distributed. I'm sure he'll fix you right up.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
I picked it up new from ebikestop (I think that was the name of it).

Actually, their XC stem looks awful (or at least it does in pictures.) Hopefully this will work well enough.

Who cares what it looks like if it provides you with the stem length you need?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rockland said:
The 40 mm is gonna be way too short for regular old trail riding.
No doubt. The most important thing in bike fit is getting your reach set and getting your center of balance in the right spot. A super short stem seems like a good idea for going downhill but if you keep your saddle at a good pedalling height it raises your center of balance increasing your chances of going OTB as compared to having a proper stem length.