Quantcast

Time to RIP it up

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
So here it is.
I got back from a very quick trip to Interbike, to find a familiar sized box on my doorstep.
I've been waiting for months for it to arrive, and I wasted no time stripping down my AIR 9 to build up the new rig. :banana:

1rip9.jpg

She comes in at 29.75 lbs on the nose, with pedals. I couldn't be happier. The parts are as follows:
Reba (100mm), King headset, King hubs laced to WTB Speed Disc Trail rims, X0 shifters and rear medium cage der, XTR front der, FSA Carbon cranks w/ FSA Ti ISIS BB, Thomson stuff, WTB Rocket V SLT seat, Easton carbon bars, Avid Juicy Carbon brakes. Gearing is 34/24 with a 11-32 cassette. I'm running an Exi in the front with an Ignitor in the back, a really good combo for our local trails.

2rip9.jpg

So how does it ride?
Well, I havent been able to give it the full acid test, and it looks as if the weather is going to not cooperate with me for our regular weekly night ride, but based on parking lot antics, this thing is going to be pretty amazing in the woods.
The back end feels plush and bottomless. It ramps up really nicely, and it is buttery smooth. Power goes right to the back wheel without activating the shock (as far as I can tell). There is a small incline behind the shop, and I got out of the saddle and cranked away and didnt notice any bobbing typically associated with such horrible climbing technique.
Riding single speed and 1x9 really helps you put good solid edges to your pedalling style.
I begs to be ridden fast. I nailed a couple of our larger potholes while pedalling, and the rear wheel stayed planted.
Obviously, the real test will be on the trail, but based on the over exaggerated movements in my parking lot test, I think we'll be just fine.

3rip9.jpg

There is plenty of clearance for the big tires we are all waiting for, not only in the stays, but with the front derailleur too.

So hopefully I'll actually get it on the trail before it rains!

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Stellar. Man that's the frame that could get me to ride big wheels. Only thing is I'm not too thrilled about fork options.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
To me, the best fork is already out there. The Reba has been a flawless performer for me. The dual air chambers are awesome, I run more negative air, and it is super plush. I spent quite a bit of time on the White Bros forks, BW 80 and Magic 100, and I feel that they paled in comparison.
I did get a chance to play with a Maverick @ Interbike. I like that fork a lot, but the proprietary axle makes me grumpy.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Your drivetrain is set up similar to how I'd run mine (if I had a RIP9). Would you mind taking a pic from the non-drive side to show the bashguard and the link. I'd like to see how "vulnerable" the link is running a 2 ring setup. Thanks!

On the fork front...I'm not so concerned about the Maverick and their proprietary axle. I could live with that. I'm concerned about damping etc. The people that love them really love them and the people that dislike them HATE them. Doesn't seem to be any middle ground. As far as RS is concerned I'll have to get over my irrational aversion to RS products.

Soupboy

Chimp
Oct 12, 2004
Cool bike. Look forward to real ride reports. Still not a fan of all the spindly metal and diminimus tire clearance in the rear but it looks fast.

The Monkey

Chimp
Sep 3, 2006
Waterbury VT
The rain held off tonight.
We decided to hit Perry Hill, which is about the best riding in this neck of the woods. With charged lights we climbed to the top before deciding which way down we would go.
This bike climbs really well.
Out of the saddle stupid gear climbing is no problem. There is no noticable effect on the suspension from the drivetrain. I passed a buddy of mine while standing, and he didn't see anything going on in the linkage either.
Crazy.
I am still dialing in the suspension settings, and tonight I feel as if I may have been running too soft. (tires too) I just got back from Interbike, so I may have accidentally put on 15lbs or so in 24hrs...
The bike felt slack to me, and I couldn't quite tell if it was because of sag.
I will be playing with the shock settings over the next few days to try and get it dialed.
Holy Cow does this thing ever gobble up singletrack! Cornering is amazing, the back end, plush as can be.
The big drawback of doing a first ride at night, is that you are really focused on the trail, and not the nuances of what the bike is up to.
So, here are my gripes.
Low BB, I smacked my pedals a lot, but also I may have not chosen the same lines in the day. Even though I know the trails well, at night, you don't always see everything.
Rear derailleur cable routing. This could be my fault, but the middle piece kept bulging out and hitting my leg. Earlier in the day it was flexing into the rear tire and buzzing. It was annoying, but again, I will have to try and shorten the housing without screwing up the shifting.
The shifting was pretty inconsistant because of cable stretch, a new equipment fact of life...
That is about it though. I give this thing 2 big thumbs up and a huge muddy grin.
There is nothing not to like about this bike, and if the rain holds off, I will be hitting the trails again before I open the shop.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Keep those ride reports coming as you get more and more time in on the RIP 9 please. kinda sucks a bit about the low bottom bracket height though. hmmmm.