Quantcast

Time To Upgrade My iPhone!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Still needs flash to deliver the real Internet like their commercial claims. Also needs true multitasking plus ATT does not support many of the new features...

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
**cue thousands of apple fan boys riding steve jobs' jock**
heh.

also cue incredibly short-sighted arrogance that intentionally ignores the long-term effects of treating a cell phone as a disposable piece of paper.

read up on Coltan mining and then decide whether it's "cool" to "upgrade" so frequently.

I'm glad I have more self-worth and self-respect than those who need to "upgrade" just to feel validated.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
heh.

also cue incredibly short-sighted arrogance that intentionally ignores the long-term effects of treating a cell phone as a disposable piece of paper.

read up on Coltan mining and then decide whether it's "cool" to "upgrade" so frequently.

I'm glad I have more self-worth and self-respect than those who need to "upgrade" just to feel validated.
I think Apple is trying to be next in line to GM for "planned obsolescence fail"

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
heh.

Oh...you're wrong here. Stinkyboy is ultra awesome and needs no validation. He's cool like stoney98 to the infinite power.

Besides...when looking for validation he just asks his current employer for it. Wait... :think:

* I'm just screwing with you stink, so no need to neg rep me like you did when you thought I really wanted a dog to sh*t in your office. :clue:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I could care less about all that... except for the Voice thing. That's something my Motorola Sliver had that I wish my iPhone had. Still don't understand why it takes 3 generations of iPhone to get that feature.

$99 for the 3G promises 1 thing though... iPhones will be EVERYWHERE.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
$99 for the 3G promises 1 thing... iPhones will be EVERYWHERE.
No it doesn't, the iPhone will still easily cost over $2000 over the 2 year contract and that's with the minimum plan without any txting unless ATT announces a more sane pricing structure. They certainly need it and RIM easily still has more total sales. You can get a BB with Wifi for free and a data plan or email plan is not required - you only pay for what you need on the carrier you want - you aren't stuck with ATT.

Regardless of who makes the smartphone, voice only handset totally dominate smartphone sales and it will stay that way until it does not cost an arm and a leg for equipment and plans. The average joe does not need a smartphone at least at what it cost to have one today, especially amidst a recession.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I have been looking forward to this announcement but there's not a huge reason IMO to upgrade from the 3g. You get a slightly better processor and a couple of cool features but I'm not convinced it's worth the hassle. The 3.0 software is gonna be awesome though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Patiently waiting for the version that syadasti gives his stamp approval on.
Well for the iPod that was 5.5G when I approved - it finally had important features the Rio Karma had years prior. I sold it to narlus rather quickly though as I really could not use it much with my work/schedule then.

The reality is that this is yet another incremental evolutionary product like all of Apple's line and JonKranked is probably right about the Apple typical MO of wasteful planned obsolescence. It does not have basic important features like flash and multitasking. You are stuck with ATT and ATT won't let you use many of the features demoed plus it cost a ton with the minimum plan. Whats the big deal then about this refresh?

Last edited:

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
i'm waiting for the iPhone 3GSDF (Super Duper Faster) version on Verizon. Obviously, steve jobs isn't running the company with a dumb-ass name like 3G(S)

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Well for the iPod that was 5.5G when I approved - it finally had important features the Rio Karma had years prior. I sold it to narlus rather quickly though as I really could not use it much with my work/schedule then.

The reality is that this is yet another incremental evolutionary product like all of Apple's line and JonKranked is probably right about the Apple typical MO of wasteful planned obsolescence. It does not have basic important features like flash and multitasking. You are stuck with ATT and ATT won't let you use many of the features demoed plus it cost a ton with the minimum plan. Whats the big deal then about this refresh?
Still waiting. :wait:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Well for the iPod that was 5.5G when I approved - it finally had important features the Rio Karma had years prior. I sold it to narlus rather quickly though as I really could not use it much with my work/schedule then
that ipod is still going strong, but the battery life is definitely not what it used to be. i got a DC car charger and am good to go.

though i could have used a 160GB version...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm waiting for the iPhone 3GSDF (Super Duper Faster) version on Verizon. Obviously, steve jobs isn't running the company with a dumb-ass name like 3G(S)
By the time the iphone comes to verizon, it will be a 4G model.

FWIW Verizon is supposed to start rolling out 4G (LTE) early 2010. Coincidentally not long after AT&T's exclusivity is up with the iPhone. What worries me is the potential crippleware Verizon will put on it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i approve of the new iPhone. can't wait to get the 3.0 firmware and especially the Zipcar and TomTom apps on my 3G and jessica's OG model

:thumb:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
FWIW Verizon is supposed to start rolling out 4G (LTE) early 2010. Coincidentally not long after AT&T's exclusivity is up with the iPhone. What worries me is the potential crippleware Verizon will put on it.
theyre actually starting roll out in markets the 2nd half of 2010 and be done by 2014.
http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/Verizon-to-roll-out-4G-LTE-in-20-30-markets-during-the-second-half-of-2010-article-a_5070.html

att will have hspa+ before they do a roll out of their LTE network in 2010/2011

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Interesting. I am in the market for a smartphone and have been debating a BB or an iPhone for some time now. I really have no desire to pay for a phone that doesn't get great service though. I have been a Cingular/ATT customer for years now because they had the best service in our area, but lately my service hasn't been great (I have a Razr now) and they keep telling me they're updating and adding more towers in our area soon. I just need to make a choice and pull the trigger so to speak, but I am too cheap to pay a ton for a phone that I am not sure if I am going to love or not.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
No it doesn't, the iPhone will still easily cost over $2000 over the 2 year contract and that's with the minimum plan without any txting unless ATT announces a more sane pricing structure. They certainly need it and RIM easily still has more total sales. You can get a BB with Wifi for free and a data plan or email plan is not required - you only pay for what you need on the carrier you want - you aren't stuck with ATT.

Regardless of who makes the smartphone, voice only handset totally dominate smartphone sales and it will stay that way until it does not cost an arm and a leg for equipment and plans. The average joe does not need a smartphone at least at what it cost to have one today, especially amidst a recession.
Well I wont speak to all that you just spewed forth, but I can say that it sound to me like someone doesn't have an iphone ;)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Interesting. I am in the market for a smartphone and have been debating a BB or an iPhone for some time now. I really have no desire to pay for a phone that doesn't get great service though. I have been a Cingular/ATT customer for years now because they had the best service in our area, but lately my service hasn't been great (I have a Razr now) and they keep telling me they're updating and adding more towers in our area soon. I just need to make a choice and pull the trigger so to speak, but I am too cheap to pay a ton for a phone that I am not sure if I am going to love or not.
I have had both.... BB and iPhone. I am FAR happier with the iPhone.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Interesting. I am in the market for a smartphone and have been debating a BB or an iPhone for some time now.
I have finally decided the next time I have the money, I am going to get an iTouch and keep my Frankenberry.

Best of both imho.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
No it doesn't, the iPhone will still easily cost over $2000 over the 2 year contract and that's with the minimum plan without any txting unless ATT announces a more sane pricing structure.
Yup, that's my reason for not getting it. BB was nice when it was the company picking up the tab, but not worth the extra $30/month to me. Not when you have cable, internet, normal cell plan, sat radio, beer money and other monthly essentials...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
No it doesn't, the iPhone will still easily cost over $2000 over the 2 year contract and that's with the minimum plan without any txting unless ATT announces a more sane pricing structure.
damn, 1K per year for mobile phone service?

i am thinking i don't need a smart phone anymore.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yup, that's my reason for not getting it. BB was nice when it was the company picking up the tab, but not worth the extra $30/month to me. Not when you have cable, internet, normal cell plan, sat radio, beer money and other monthly essentials...
Personally, I use my BB for personal email moreso than my laptop (or any other computer). Also, with the Storm there are internet radio apps (pandora and slacker), so if you really wanted to you could ditch the sat radio.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I am not saying it cheap but part of what you pay for is the phone itself. I have no idea how much it is though.
The iPhone 3G cost Apple less than $200/piece (probably just around $200 if you factor in the non-material costs too):

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6573269.html

Usually these things get cheaper with each generation and larger circulation so the 3GS is probably even cheaper.

Last edited: