Quantcast

Timewarp to 91...Nirvana in Amsterdam

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
When i was in china we hit a DVD store. I got 9 dvd's , most theater shot bootlegs not on DVD yet, but as I was leaving I saw 2 Nirvana bootleg CD's. One is a 2 disk version of the recent box set, the other the best of the box set. Quality is perfect, and packaging spot on. I think it cost me less than 2 bucks US for them. They must have knew i was coming, because im not sure how many other Nirvana fans there would be in this certain area i was in... pretty far off the beaten path.

I still remember the day that we heard that he shot himself. I think i was just about as disapointed as the day i heard fran zappa died.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I saw him in NYC in the Coliseum (also gone). Probably 10,000 in the crowd, but there were no seats in this place, just the stage and the concrete floor. One of the largest pits I've seen, and Cobain just stood on stage like a robot playing these amazing songs.

It was the only time I saw them, and about 6 months later someone in my office told me he killed himself.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
sanjuro said:
I saw him in NYC in the Coliseum (also gone). Probably 10,000 in the crowd,
I only saw them twice in a place that held 200 people max.

The second time was a couple of weeks before Nevermind came out and Smells Like Teen Spirit was being played a little bit on the radio.

As far as him killing himself, I'll keep my mouth shut.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
splat said:
what you don't think he did it ? you think some blond haired no talent b1tch did it ?
I didn't think it was all that tragic.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
Nirvana was THE band for my age group. I remember the day the news broke out in school, people were crying and all distraught. I would console them by saying "There, there, at least we still have Eddie Vedder." It didn't seem to work.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
macko said:
Nirvana was THE band for my age group. I remember the day the news broke out in school, people were crying and all distraught. I would console them by saying "There, there, at least we still have Eddie Vedder." It didn't seem to work.
I also remember people crying in school and I was thinking What's the big deal it's not like anyone there knew him.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
They were always overblown and there were so many better shows goin on back in the day, but i suppose it doesn't change the fact that they were the group that will have the longest legacy.

Some freinds of mine just had their first "real" show at the Lobo, a hole in the wall closet sized saloon last night. i wouldn't be suprised if after they get off their ass and cut a demo they'll be playing bigger venues.

The beat goes on....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
TN said:
I wish I could have seen them live....at least once.
I still wish I would have bought that original pressing of Bleach on colored Vinyl. A week after his death the bastard record guys marked all that stuff up 500%.

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
I personally think that the media makes them out to be more than they were, simply due to Kurt Cobain's death. Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were both better grunge bands, IMO.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Thrillkil said:
I personally think that the media makes them out to be more than they were, simply due to Kurt Cobain's death. Soundgarden and Alice In Chains were both better grunge bands, IMO.
Well you are in the minority. Both seem a little too sellout for my tastes.

One band than never sold out are The Melvins. Stoner Witch is one of the greatest albums ever.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Well Nirvana fans might want to check out FREE MP3s from Meat Puppets Live Repository there is a ton of good stuff.

Now... does anyone have MP3s of Husker Du "Makes No Sense At All" and "Love Is All Around" that they wouldn't mind sharing...? I bought the EP twice in the 80's. My CD buying days are over and SST hasn't released the rights to music download dealies. :dead:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Thrillkil said:
The influence of the media is over-rated. :oink: "Better" is very subjective and hard to quantify.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Serial Midget said:
Now... does anyone have MP3s of Husker Du "Makes No Sense At All" and "Love Is All Around" that they wouldn't mind sharing...?
Yes.

Anything else you want?