Quantcast

tingly feet

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
so when i first got my shoes my feet would get all tingly and numb feeling when i wore them on rides generally 15+ miles. and i assumed that it was bc the shoes werent broken in. now i have 2 yrs worth of riding in them and they still make my feet numb occasionally around the 15ish mile mark or when im riding hard. its not bad enough that i stop riding, just very irritating.
has anyone ever experienced this or have any suggestions on how to solve this?

splat

Nam I am
how tight do you wear them ? have you tried loosening them a little ? what type of pedals do you use ?

I have had the probelm before and it is usally because they are to tight. It particually happends to me in winter time because I'm wearing extra socks. ( so I bought an pair one size to big on ebay cheap for winter rides )

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
ya thats what i thought initially but i have room to move around a bit in them and ive tried loosening them.
i use spd's

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How stiff are the soles? If you can flex the shoe, they're not strong enough.

How about the insert/insole? Consider getting a semi-custom insert, something like yoursole.com

rooftest

Monkey
Jul 10, 2005
OC, CA
I've always been told that if your shoes aren't too tight, then it's your cleat placement.

This weekend I learned what happens when your shoes are too lose - your toes slide forward to the end of your shoe, and your toes start to hurt like hell at about mile 20. (of a 40 mile ride, unfortunately)

bella

Monkey
Jul 30, 2004
portland or
rooftest said:
I've always been told that if your shoes aren't too tight, then it's your cleat placement.

This weekend I learned what happens when your shoes are too lose - your toes slide forward to the end of your shoe, and your toes start to hurt like hell at about mile 20. (of a 40 mile ride, unfortunately)
that doesnt sound good. i hope your toes are feelnig better today!

as far as the cleat placement i have the ball of my foot centered over the foot spindle. should i adjust this?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
bella said:
as far as the cleat placement i have the ball of my foot centered over the foot spindle. should i adjust this?
that's generally considered to be the proper alignment... but different things work for different people.

I'd consider trying insoles/inserts.