Quantcast

Tinker Juarez lives with his mom?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I know he's an older, somewhat eccentric fellow and that his mom is a big part of his life. Does he still live with her? He's got to be 40+ at this point!

And the dreds... WTF?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
who cares :think:
Whatya mean who cares? Don't you already have an answer on that epic question? If a 40+ year old MTB racing legend did something as strange as live with his mom after having a VERY succesful career, wouldn't you want to know?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Tame Ape said:
Whatya mean who cares? Don't you already have an answer on that epic question? If a 40+ year old MTB racing legend did something as strange as live with his mom after having a VERY succesful career, wouldn't you want to know?
1. This is a widely known fact, which I read about in more than one bike magazine.

2. I like how you are trying to paint this into something else. Why don't you give an embarassing fact about yourself so rest of us can analyze it for you?

3. Who cares?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
sanjuro said:
1. This is a widely known fact, which I read about in more than one bike magazine.

2. I like how you are trying to paint this into something else. Why don't you give an embarassing fact about yourself so rest of us can analyze it for you?

3. Who cares?
1. Good. I was correct.

2. Why is this embarrassing? His motivation is clearly his own. Makes no mistake though, it is strange to me. As if a Mexican/American dude with dreads down to his tailbone isn't weird enough in the first?

3. Dunno, whats it to you?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I think we all know he can and does live his life any way he wants. Why should that stop us from making fun of him?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
There is a huge difference between:

A) Being 40+ and living in your Mom's basement eating her groceries while watching old Star Trek episodes.

B) Growing up very poor, only to somehow make a nice living as a cycling pro, buy a nice house, and let your mother live in it, because she was the only thing you had growing up.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sure who cares what anyone does, but i think there is a difference between a moocher loser who doesn't leave the nest vs. a family that is just close knit. Years back i stayed with my grandmother because i was a loser tryin to get back on track but then it developed into me actually sticking around to help out because she was on her way out of this world. So i guess i've been on both sides of the spectrum haha....

J

JRB

I lived with my mom while she was dying with cancer. I don't think that makes me a loser. Kind of like stinky, I don't think THAT makes him a loser. He does plenty of other things. :D

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Tame Ape said:

Why don't you evaluate your thoughts and explain why you think this is strange ? Did it occur to you that you could be closed minded or cast sterotypical thoughts ? It's people like you that make the world a little worse off rather than a guy living with his mom BFD.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Jeremy R said:
There is a huge difference between:

A) Being 40+ and living in your Mom's basement eating her groceries while watching old Star Trek episodes.

B) Growing up very poor, only to make a somehow make a nice living as cycling pro, buy a nice house, and let your mother live in it, because she was the only thing you had growing up.
i believe, on top of B, is a cultural thing. he is mexican.
and a single person in his 20s, even 30s is not as frown upon in latin american societies as is in the US.

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I think what Alexis is trying to say is that latino families are much tighter-knit than the average anglo-American family. I think it's great that Tinker and his mother live together. If more families were that close, the world would probably be a better place.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I think a lot of good points have been made.

I don't really care who he lives with, I have been entertained enough by his MTB riding. I don't have to sit and analyze his personal situation. I don't know the specifics of why he lives with his mother, but I do know that several of the reasons stated by other monkeys makes me hope I am in the same situation some day and am able to step up and help out family the way they have supported me throughout the years.

*edit* and if you view providing for others (parents etc) as "living with my parents at_____ years old" so be it!

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I bet if Tinker was right in front of you you'd probably not say anything about this. He's an amazing rider and I wouldn't care if he lived in a zoo, he'd still be awesome. And I think that if you can live with your parents for that long and still adore them, then that shows great things about your personality. Go Tinker!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Just so Tame Ape doesn't get more torn up anymore, this question came up in passing yesterday as we were chatting. TA had some concerns that his statement about Tinker living with his mom may not have been backed by facts. Basically it was a downward spiral in the conversation from there. It finally came to a point where he decided the only true way to substantiate what he thought may be a rumor is to post the question on RM.

J

JRB

stosh said:
<snip> It finally came to a point where he decided the only true way to substantiate what he thought may be a rumor is to post the question on RM.
Not being the epitomy of tact when it comes to starting threads, I would have maybe just asked, "does Tinker live with his mom?" and kept the rest of it to myself.

It did let us crack jokes about stinky, so I still approve.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
loco said:
Not being the epitomy of tact when it comes to starting threads, I would have maybe just asked, "does Tinker live with his mom?" and kept the rest of it to myself.

It did let us crack jokes about stinky, so I still approve.
Well as long as you approve!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
His mom is also his business partner and agent. Pretty much anyone on this forum would LOVE to be successful enough at mountain biking that you could support your family with it.

Haters=posers=wannabes in this discussion. Deal.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Echo said:
His mom is also his business partner and agent. Pretty much anyone on this forum would LOVE to be successful enough at mountain biking that you could support your family with it.

Haters=posers=wannabes in this discussion. Deal.
What about taunters?

Id want no part in riding for a living, btw.:)

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
hooples3 said:
i heard they also have a boarder collie named earnie..... true??
Truthfully though, I think it might be somewhat, um, retarded. Just what I heard y'know...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
splat said:
:stupid:

He can live his own life any way he wants.
that's the problem today.
we s...can our older family members.

the bigger question should be, why are there nursing homes?
we live in a time when you just can't afford to get old and live alone.
medical and drug costs are skyrocketing every few months.
i for one will never let my mother have to live in one of those. or have to choose between prescriptions and food.

in an era when we're supposed to accept everything from gay marriage to people of certain ethnic backgrounds living their whole lives on welfare(my $$$ and yours) and now all of a sudden the words illegal immigrant becoming a racist remark.
family members that remain together shouldn't be cause for ridicule.

i'm sure that during his early racing career, she was a huge supporting factor for him.
i would imagine he's now in a position to return the favor.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
macko said:
I think what Alexis is trying to say is that latino families are much tighter-knit than the average anglo-American family. I think it's great that Tinker and his mother live together. If more families were that close, the world would probably be a better place.
yeah, thats much better wording.

i live with my mom and my 20yo sister. am 23. i lived alone from 17 to 21, then came back. my mom, nor my friends have any problem with that. in fact, most of them still live with their parents, and only a handful of the have lived alone by age 23.
i live on a 7 bedroom house, so even my mom thinks is actually kinda of a waste of money for me to get an appartment (rent is kinda expensive in the city), no housekeeper, no cook and far from work. i lived alone on an appartment when i just moved back to peru, but it sucked to live alone.

my grandad (92 yo old) lives with us, he´s been living with us before i was born.
thats kinda representatives of most south american societies, regardless of background, so i guess tinker is not that far from that.

mutasmurf

Chimp
Feb 16, 2002
Bellingham, WA
It's the same with certain asian cultures. The eldest son usually takes in his parents when they are in their golden years. Although, I'm not particularly fond of my father, I'll support him when he can't support himself (even though he's been a skumbag at times). I don't see the problem with Juarez's actions.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
It makes sense to live with his Mom,
after all with "a face only a mother could love"
and all.....