Quantcast

Tinting Sliding Glass Door

Blown240

Monkey
Nov 19, 2013
I have a 10ft sliding glass door in my bedroom that faces East. Im the morning the sun COOKS the room. Its also my office, so I need to keep it cool.

I have had a easy-up right outside the door, and that helps, but not enough. I just got a $472 electric bill, and thats with the A/C set to 81 degrees.

Any experience on tinting home windows/doors? The film at Home Depot is only 36 wide, so there would be a seam. Is that hard to hide?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used Gila reflective film on all the windows on the east side of my house. It doesn't look perfect but it no one could notice.

Didn't wan't curtains or blinds as i wanted to be able to keep an eye on the dog when he is outside. Also gives me a bit of privacy as my house is a bit of a fishbowl on a busy pedestrian street while maintaining my view of the Olympics.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Beat me to it... Blackout curtains would work if you don't need to see out. I'd call around to some window tinting places and ask how much they charge to install. May be a bit pricey at first but will save you in the long run. If done incorrectly, it could bubble and look ugly. Get it done right the first time. Plus I'm sure you can custom order the size you need for your door online.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
My slider doors are tinted. the width is fine but there are two pieces top/bottom with an almost invisible seam.
I'm sure getting that seam so tight wasn't easy, but it's possible.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I would just call a company. Tinting for cars isn't very much and I can't believe it would be that different. It take some practice to make it not look like shit.