Quantcast

tiny little flying things on my plants...

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I have a rubber tree plant thing and it constantly has little fruit fly type things around it. I have other plants in the house but they seem to congregate to this one plant. like 30 or so of them. what can I do to get rid of them? it's annoying...:help:

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Sounds like fungus gnats. They usually appear in soils that are excessively wet. It's my understanding that they feed on the decomposing organics matter/ wood fibers in the soil. One trick that I've used in greenhouse production is to cut a potatoe into slices and place cut side down on the soil aroung the infected plant. The new gnat larvae will feed on the starch in the potatoes and can be discarded with the slice. Check and move/disgard the slices often as the potato will begin to root into the soil. Back off on the water frequency and amount also.

toby

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
in the trees said:
Sounds like fungus gnats. They usually appear in soils that are excessively wet. It's my understanding that they feed on the decomposing organics matter/ wood fibers in the soil. One trick that I've used in greenhouse production is to cut a potatoe into slices and place cut side down on the soil aroung the infected plant. The new gnat larvae will feed on the starch in the potatoes and can be discarded with the slice. Check and move/disgard the slices often as the potato will begin to root into the soil. Back off on the water frequency and amount also.

toby
Dan Quayle?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
in the trees said:

toby
With that avatar I'm thinking this is a man that knows.

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
pnj said:
I have a rubber tree plant thing and it constantly has little fruit fly type things around it. I have other plants in the house but they seem to congregate to this one plant. like 30 or so of them. what can I do to get rid of them? it's annoying...:help:
I'll second fungus gnats. What I do to get rid of them is to fill the pot with coarse aquarium sand - about 1 inch deep - on top of the potting soil. This keeps the gnats from being able to feed/lay eggs on the decomposing soil.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
pnj said:
Chop the f*cker down, that'll get rid of the little bastards.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
how do I know when to water it if it's got gravel on the dirt?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
pnj said:
how do I know when to water it if it's got gravel on the dirt?
Dig a small hole in the gravel and stick your finger into the soil to test the moisture. The soil should feel moist and not soggy or clumpy. Allow the surface of the soil to dry out between waterings and then water thoroughly. Keep the soil lightly to moderately moist. And try to keep the foliage clean - they can be susceptible to other insect problems as well.

toby

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
how do I clean it? with a duster or damp rag or something?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
pnj said:
how do I clean it? with a duster or damp rag or something?
Because rubber plants can be a little fragile, a light misting or spraying with water on a fairly regular basis should work just fine. Move the plant into the shower (if it's possible based on the plant's size) to allow it to drip dry. Be sure to check where the branches meet the stem/trunk. Dust tends to build up in these intersections.

toby

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I don't have a clue about your plant (sorry), but now I have Sinatra stuck in my head.

Oops, there goes another rubber tree plant