Quantcast

tioga vs kujos

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
i currently have tioga 2.3 dh tires. but the sidewall is wimpy. the cheapest option is the irc kujos. i know the sidewalls r great, but does anyone know how the compare to the tiogas when it comes to mud?

Wardy

Chimp
Nov 9, 2001
England
I have used both in mud and think that the kujo is better.
I use a 24" kujo rear and it is pretty good in most conditions.
I have found tiogas are best in the dry.

TrueScotsman

Monkey
Mar 20, 2002
Scotland
I've tried both and have to agree that the sidewall on the tioga is wimpy (apparently the new 2002 tioga model is much beefier yet heavier).
I do, however, think that the tioga grips better,esp. in mud. I think that the kujo loses traction easier (although it is a predictable slide, not a sudden washout).
If you want my honest opinion, try some Michelins, esp. comp 16's for mud, as their grip level is amazing compared to both the tioga and IRCs and they have pretty heavy-duty sidewall. Only downside is that they wear relatively fast but if you are racing, it is worth it. Just my two-pence worth!

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
the 2002 Tiogas are refined and well worth it to try.. I have some experience with them last summer and was quite impressed on their phenomenal traction. It didn't wear off as fast as I anticipated.

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
I'd agree with TrueScotsman,

I've ridden both tires extensively. I've only ridden the 2.3 version of the Tioga (which seems bigger than that b/c they are balloony), but have spent A LOT of time on Kujos from the 2.25-2.65. If you are hard on tires and pince flat a lot, the Kujo is the way to go; supper burly sidewalls. The Tiogas will flat more but are nicer in the mud and slippery stuff. Since the Kujos are a flatter tread they tend to slip on wax-paper-leaves and in the mud. Kujos hook up on hardpack.

Check out the 2.4 Motoraptor for the front if you decide to go Kujo. It is lighter and pretty much the same tread pattern, and i think is cheaper. Sidewalls are weaker though so it's a better front tire. Same mud performance as the Kujo.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've used both and would rate the Tiogas as a so-so mud tire. The Kujo's, however, I have run for awhile now and find them to work well in all conditions from dry to snow. Not spectacular in any one area, but predictable and wear great for such perfromance. I ran 2.65 kujos on HED rims at Snowshoe last year, which was a sticky, rooty, rocky, mud-fest, and was one of the few racers without traction problems. Ended up finishing 7th in Expert.

I'll try other tires, (Michies, Maxxis, Intense) but I'll always keep a set of Kujos handy to fall back on.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
i do mostly urban but i do a couple dh races with my college, and all of them were muddy/wet - i live in New Hampshire. i just dont wanna be slippin all over the place with the kujos. but im sick of flatting the tiogas goin up stairs.

well the kujos r on sale for $35 on cambria so its the 2.35 kujos or keeping my 2.3 tiogas. im cheap like that.

prophet6

Chimp
Mar 25, 2002
North Easton, MA
the tioga deal with mud better... they shed really well... i've got a ton of miles on mine, and you're right: the sidewall is thin by dh standards these days...
the kujos, which i have on my xc bike right now (both dh casings: 2.25 ft and 2.35 rr) and they hook up really well, with better pinch flat resistance... but they don't shed mud as well... so take your pick...
i'd bust the kujos. i'd rather have 'em pack and not flat....

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Ive been sold on the burly IRC sidewall for a while and run Kujos most of the time. A little known fact is that IRC also makes a mud DH tire with the same casing and much more open tread pattern. They're the MUDMAD 2.25 and if I'm not mistaken, Cambria has them on sale for about $22 or so (check the hotdeals page). Here is a pic of the tread pattern.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
In that case, roll with the Kujos. I thought you were also looking for mud performance. Kujos will pack up with mud pretty bad.