Quantcast

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Ok this oughta be fun. (and maybe we've done this before).

But as an offshoot of the other thread....

I personally don't believe in tipping people working at a counter. The 15%-20% tipping rule just doesn't apply. You're handing me something within reach. Sorry, doesn't qualify. It's not like a restaurant where they are....."controlling your dining experience" or whatever you want to call it.

I don't get why people leave tips at say Tim Horton's or whatever.

And what REALLY bugs me is when they put their tip jar just beside or in front of the "Kids' fund" (or whatever) charity box.

99% of the time, my change goes in there.

Have at it.

TrailMonkey

Chimp
Jun 12, 2008
Tipping...good question.
My wife said I should tip the guy that services/tunes up my bike.
Hmm?

Last edited:

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I frequent smoothie king and they have a tip jar at the register. I usually order a smoothie for myself and g/f and it comes out to 9.40 or so. The change goes in the jar. Other than that case, I never tip at the counter.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I personally don't believe in tipping people working at a counter. The 15%-20% tipping rule just doesn't apply. You're handing me something within reach. Sorry, doesn't qualify. It's not like a restaurant where they are....."controlling your dining experience" or whatever you want to call it.
How would your statement work at a bar? They are handing you something that's usually within reach. And other then pouring heavy are not "controlling your experience"

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
A cashier would have to do something pretty extraordinary to get a tip from me.

TIP=To Improve Performance

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I frequent a local coffee shop and I tip the staff regularly, but the service is exceptional. I am greeted by name each time I walk in and my coffee is poured and waiting at the counter for me. If I hang around and drink it there, someone comes around every few minutes and offers refills (no charge). I have no problem whatsoever giving the staff a few bucks here and there. Customer service is becoming a lost art so I will gladly show my gratitude when it is exhibited.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I don't, in fact I hate tip jars.

Waitresses get tipped because they get paid less. What am I tipping someone to ring up my order F' that if I had a choice I wouldn't pay for my order but now I have to tip you to charge me?
I love tipping people and I do it often but I hate TIP JARS!!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I normally don't tip at the counter, but I do toss a buck in the jar at the taco truck.

I got 2 tips when I worked as a tow truck driver.

1. An old lady who's car broke down at the zoo and I towed it to her house. Gave me $1.35, I tried to refuse, but she insisted and I thanked her for it. It was a sweet gesture.

2. An ex-Blazer got a flat on his Land Rover at 2:00AM in the middle of nowhere. I had to drive an hour to get there and was pissed. He was very cool and gave me a $20 for my trouble and quick response. It was nice because I only got paid $10 for AAA calls after hours for tire changes/jump starts/out of gas.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Tip jars are like pan handling to me. I know you're not making a fortune working at a place behind a counter serving me but don't remind me. If you smile, are very courteous and helpful, you might get a tip. But the sullen, attiutde filled teen sloppin me my subway or quiznos can suck it if they think just because they put a jar out, I'm putting money in it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Nope, I don't tip in Jars unless I put a note in there. For example: there is a chunk of turd flicked upon your bathroom wall by some sick lowlife. I would de-turd that wall before it hurts your business.
See, there is a tip.

I tip well at places where I am waited on, but I had to make a rule to keep from getting confused.
If a restaurant does not refill drinks, I don't tip.
My favorite local Thai place, you order and pay up front, and then you take a number and your cup, get your own drink and sit down, when your number rings up, they drop off your food to you, but they don't check on you at all after that. When you need a refill, you get up and get it.
That = No tip.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
My favorite local Thai place, you order and pay up front, and then you take a number and your cup, get your own drink and sit down, when your number rings up, they drop off your food to you, but they don't check on you at all after that. When you need a refill, you get up and get it.
That = No tip.
That kind of answers my next question about self serve buffets...

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
Tipping...good question.
My wife said I should tip the guy that services/tunes up my bike.
Hmm?
if you're happy with your service and want to continue having top notch service give the dude 3-5 bucks for a beer. Better yet at my shop we have a ton of customers who drop off 6 packs of High life for tips.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
2. An ex-Blazer got a flat on his Land Rover at 2:00AM in the middle of nowhere. I had to drive an hour to get there and was pissed. He was very cool and gave me a $20 for my trouble and quick response. It was nice because I only got paid $10 for AAA calls after hours for tire changes/jump starts/out of gas.
I guess I am crazy.

I always tip tow truck drivers at least $20.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Nope, I don't tip in Jars unless I put a note in there. For example: there is a chunk of turd flicked upon your bathroom wall by some sick lowlife. I would de-turd that wall before it hurts your business.
See, there is a tip.

I tip well at places where I am waited on, but I had to make a rule to keep from getting confused.
That = No tip.
I've ways been confused by Chinese Buffet's as well, I will tip the girls who bring me a drink but nowhere near 20%.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Actually, the people that are ringing up your order generally put it together for you as well. They normally make sure that all your food is there and that you have eating utensils, napkins, etc. I think it's polite to throw them your change, a buck or whatever - not necessarily 15-20%.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Ok this oughta be fun. (and maybe we've done this before).

But as an offshoot of the other thread....

I don't get why people leave tips at say Tim Horton's or whatever.

And what REALLY bugs me is when they put their tip jar just beside or in front of the "Kids' fund" (or whatever) charity box.

99% of the time, my change goes in there.

Have at it.

Where the hell do you eat, the S&M cafeteria ?

I'm a moody bastard, so I throw $ in the jar when I feel like it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I guess I am crazy.

I always tip tow truck drivers at least $20.
Same here (I don't usually break down though), I tip guys delivering appliances, one time some guys helped us on a job site off load some windows and I had no cash so I gave them mine and my bro's fresh hot chicken parm sandwiches, and they really loved that. I have a guy installing a new boiler at my house next week I'll probably tip him $50's.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Just a buck goes in the bucket if it is one of my regular joints. I have worked behind the counter I know it goes appreciated.

Oh & screw the 'kids fund' that is another word for beer money.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Same here (I don't usually break down though), I tip guys delivering appliances, one time some guys helped us on a job site off load some windows and I had no cash so I gave them mine and my bro's fresh hot chicken parm sandwiches, and they really loved that. I have a guy installing a new boiler at my house next week I'll probably tip him $50's.
A buddy of mine keeps different gift cards to Subway, Quiznos, local resteruants, Home Depot, etc in $25 to $50 values at his house to tip for big deliveries or repairs.

I told him he should get the local beer store to do gift cards!

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
I tip based on performance in a restaurant. No tips in the jar though. As everybody has already said, the counter guys don't do anything other than ring up your items. They need a tip for that?

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I had some guys come and install my carpet. The company charges you extra for any furniture that had to be moved. Well, my shoulder was still jacked from surgery, so I just bit the bullet and listed "furniture needs to be moved before installation". They showed up and saw that it was just a desk and my entertainment center, so they moved it for me and didn't charge me. They also took all the old carpeting with them, again for free. I gave them $20 in cash each (I'm poor, so that's the best I could do), because they didn't have to do any of that.

Did the same thing when I called my LBS and asked if they could repair my bike that day for a ride. Guy had me come in at lunch, dropped everything he was doing and fixed it, all in my lunch hour. Even better was he didn't expect a tip, he was just happy to help.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Actually, the people that are ringing up your order generally put it together for you as well. They normally make sure that all your food is there and that you have eating utensils, napkins, etc. I think it's polite to throw them your change, a buck or whatever - not necessarily 15-20%.

Yep, it depends on the place.
This particular place has a couple of honkey girls running the register and dropping off food. Thats all they do.
I get my own napkins, fork, drink etc.....
Their tip = don't stand up in a canoe.

Now gross Buffet food where they refill your drinks the whole time, take plates away and all that, I tip there.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yep, it depends on the place.
This particular place has a couple of honkey girls running the register and dropping off food. Thats all they do.
I get my own napkins, fork, drink etc.....
Their tip = don't stand up in a canoe.

Now gross Buffet food where they refill your drinks the whole time, take plates away and all that, I tip there.
Fawk I hate Chinese buffets but man they seem like such a good idea on the way there.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Good on ya, man! :thumb:
It's pretty sweet, I got an almost new boiler out of a commercial building we demo'd for free with pipes, controls, valves etc. He's coming and installing it plus he's doing an overhaul on my wood boiler ( :) ) so I can use it this winter.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
Fawk I hate Chinese buffets but man they seem like such a good idea on the way there.
I am pretty much the opposite of a picky eater.
I eat anywhere and everywhere and I pretty much like it all.
That said, I think, in general, Chinese Buffets are the worst food on the planet. They take what is already nasty Chinese food, and then it sits their all day marinating in MSG.
At least some of them have soft serve ice cream so I can wash all that $hit out of my mouth.