Quantcast

Tipping; who and how much??

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
"It’s not tipping I believe in. It’s over-tipping."

Vincent Antonelli/My Blue Heaven

So...tipping is a big point of discussion on some circles lately. Having worked in service jobs in the past, I believe in laying on a good tip to reward good service...but lately sh1t has gone off the reservation imho. I do not like being asked or expected to tip in advance; this takes away the motivation to do a good job worthy of a tip and leaves the customer feeling that if they dont tip well the service/product will be subpar.

I tip wait staff, barbers, bartenders, bike mechanics(!) those who work at or near minimum wage...who else do you tip?

20% for a good job...

(Always tip in cash...dont let management or government come anywhere near that $$)

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I usually tip at least 15 percent anywhere I go but usually 20-25% if its a good-sized bill and great service and I never tip in cash, impossible to track, and cash tips never seem to be shared with the rest of the staff if it's a shared pot scenario. I never tip if I have to order standing up or serve myself and have become a bit jaded by the unconventional, entitled types expecting a tip for nothing when they hand you the point-of-sale machine with some "additional options" to choose.

Even the door dash, uber, cabs, shuttles etc is getting out of hand with tips.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
If I'm being served while I sit I'll tip. I have a few friends who own small businesses and I throw money in their tip jars. If I buy a 32 ounce iced coffee and its 2.50, I'll throw in a dollar or two because some places charge like 9 bucks for the same thing.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
My local coffee shop - $1 every cup.
Fast-ish food - 10-15% particularly if the register person is in pleasant.
Sit down food - 15-20%
Exceptions made for special events and large groups.

Generally electronic tips since many places I go are cashless now. I can’t be bothered to carry and count paper. I know it’s not optimal for the intended recipients

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I typically tip 20% 25% for really excellent service Less if the service is crap and they cop an attitude. I tip at the counter for small shops even for take out. one place is owned by three brother from Pakistan. excellent Falafels, they know my voice on the phone and they always have my order ready by the time I get there 20% always

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
bar: $1 per beer.
restaurant: 20% for good service, +/- 5% for better/worse
taxi/uber: same
others: my call based on what it is
never for someone who's just ringing up a sandwich for me or something. fuck those screens that automatically come up.
and yes, i've worked as a waiter in the past...

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
20% is pretty standard, my barber gets more like 100% because she only charges like $13 or something, so I give her $30 each time (the wife's 'do was $230 before tip back in the day).

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Tipping here in the netherlands is done according to steve buscemi's rules.
During my first trip to US this summer, I got pretty annoyed... every time you pay for dinner or get some drinks you have to go through this extra step, all because business owners don't pay their employees enough to get by. Truly the land of opportunities...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
15% unless something truly outstanding happens.

I don't tip if I have to stand at a counter to order and wait for food.

There is one small brewery out in farm country here, who always quickly skips past the tip screen when I pay. It's the one and only place that does this AND where I want to tip; I always have to tell them to go back so I can leave one. They bring out beer, help pack it up etc.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Forgot to note the occasions when its "Tips go to (Insert local cause here) today!!" They always get a minimum of 20%, unless its the county GoP or something along those lines.

I dont tip electronically because I Have heard too many horror stories of management skimming or completely shitting on employees that way. My kid got hosed when he worked at $tarbuck$ by management. All tips collected and doled out on a monthly basis, with no feedback regarding same..

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's been scientifically proven that you get more tips just for having bigger boobs, not for better service...same people tested it by stuffing their bra essentially.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
I’m fortunate to live in Europe and don’t think much about tipping anymore. On those rare occasions when I pay in cash I’ll leave a tip if the service was good. It’s always a shocker when I go to the states and every fucking person has their hat out asking for a tip.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
20% if I'm being serviced. I try not to tip on takeout, just a moral commitment. Sorry but you don't deserve a fat tip on an $80 sushi takeout order for turning around and handing me food. I tipped when COVID was a thing to try and keep people alive, but now that it's over they still expect tips.

I tip fat for diners and ice cream slingers. I figure those people need it- high schoolers or lifers, so I'm happy to tip 30% on an eggy breakfast or a $5 on two ice cream cups.

I'll throw "round-up" cash into the jar on pizza or cash takeout, but if i'm paying with a card, then it is what it is.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
bar: $1 per beer.
restaurant: 20% for good service, +/- 5% for better/worse
taxi/uber: same
others: my call based on what it is
never for someone who's just ringing up a sandwich for me or something. fuck those screens that automatically come up.
and yes, i've worked as a waiter in the past...
This.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
This is basically my approach, mostly because I can. I limit my tipping to the places/services where tipping is traditionally expected. I don't tip when I make a retail purchase and the device asks for a tip amount.
I know the whole tipping system is fucked up, but those people still have bills to pay. The people who don't tip always have some bullshit excuse but we all know they are cheap losers, no matter what they say. I don't tip when some business dicklicker is forcing it somewhere it doesn't belong. I'll actually avoid that place in the future.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Been seeing envelopes for tipping housekeeping at cheap hotels on my hike. Some of them are, by non thru hiker standards, fucking dirty and a normal human probably wouldn’t stay there. And they want a tip ?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Until about a year ago i didnt even know tipping at hotels (the housekeepers) was a thing.