Quantcast

Tips and Tricks

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Saw this a while ago and forgot about it until I saw it in an article about Steve Smith's Devinci Wilson setup.

Cable tie and a small washer:

Put some protective tape or a tube under if you're worried about the paint, but it's a clean, simple solution when you don't have a frame guide.

Last edited:

jhghah

Chimp
Jul 25, 2011
Tooele, UT.
Saw this a while ago and forgot about it until I saw it in an article about Steve Smith's Devinci Wilson setup.

Cable tie and a small washer:

Put some protective tape or a tube under if you're worried about the paint, but it's a clean, simple solution when you don't have a frame guide.

I would recomend stainless washers for this, and always check the washers, one side is always smoother than the other. So if ya put the smoother side down it is easier on the paint, or decals.

Jason

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for adjustable seatposts with a remote actuator (handlebar style) one concern is how the cable will move when the saddle is adjusted, and if you run a full suspension frame, also during bottom out. i used a setup of 3 zip ties to create what i call a routing loop. i have it attached to the seat tube of my frame. one zip tie tightly around the frame, a loose (about 1/2" or so diameter) for the routing loop, and another tight zip tie holding them together. its positioned so when you drop the post, it guides the excess cable forward and through the frame (i have mine cross routed through my front triangle) so that there's no risk of being caught in the rear wheel. i'll post some pics if anyone is interested

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I would recomend stainless washers for this, and always check the washers, one side is always smoother than the other. So if ya put the smoother side down it is easier on the paint, or decals.

Jason
you could also put a piece of eletrical or other soft tape on the side of the washer that will contact the frame, then trim to fit.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I havent read through the whole topic, only the first few pages, you guys have any tips dealing with disc brakes??
i can't stand the occasional squeaking, so i apply white lithium grease liberally to the rotors before each ride

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
end of unsightly nails for extra saddles if your 2x6 studs in the garage are exposed, seat rails fit perfectly.

astoria

Chimp
Aug 30, 2009
I use this for removing stubbron grease and grime from my hands after wrenching: http://www.gojo.com/united-states/brands/gojo/product.aspx?sdid={26B8FACF-A339-4C09-82E0-EDD7736E10B3}
Smells good too. :thumb:

T-rex777

Chimp
Oct 3, 2012
Coquitlam B.C.
Ever tried to deflate a pinched tube in the middle of the forest? when it's raining? Best solution is to take a valve cap, thread a small screw into its top, and make some holes in the cap wall, near the top. Screw it over the valve until the air comes out, and then start rolling the tube. It'll end like you've just taken it out of the box. I keep one of those in my CamelBack, and another at my garage.
Why not just buy a stem core removal tool ? not a good idea for presta the stems fall inside the tube when you remove the top nut...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Degrease parts like chain rings by placing them in a small container like a coffee can half filled with kitty litter. Shake for a few minutes, rinse part with water to remove kitty litter grit.

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
Want to pimp your old black alloy bars? It turns out it's really really easy to mirror finish them.

Take some paint stripper and remove everything you can. If you find they're also anodized as I did, then use 240 grit wet/dry sandpaper until the metal is becoming visible. Switch to 320 grit or similar until all the paint is gone. At this point, use some metal polish - I used Autosol - and bring out the shine.

This whole mission took me about 30 minutes.

20140818_181213.jpg

Tim Jones

Chimp
Sep 3, 2014
Thought folks could post their little tips and tricks for working on bikes they have learned over time.

Here are a few of mine

-Put the bike in the big ring when wrenching so if you bump the chainring you don't tear yourself up.

-Those marinating syringes that can be found at the grocery store are great for measuring and filling forks with oil during rebuilds.

-Superglue can be used to fix small punctures in tubeless tires that sealant might not be able to seal without taking the tire off. Find the hole an pinch the tire so it opens up the puncture, clean it off the best you can and put a drop of SG in the hole. Give it a few seconds to dry and filler up.

-Trying to get tubeless or NoTubes tires to seat on the rim can sometimes be a bitch. Pinch the sidewalls and get the bead to rest on the larger diameter of the rim before inflating. Go all around the tire and do both sides. While inflating smack the tire to get the bead to seat.
Great tip! Thanks for the information.

J-Web

Chimp
Jul 2, 2015
Lots of good tips on here about getting your hands clean. I'd add that when washing grease off, first scrub with just soap (or preferably Gojo) before getting your hands wet.

Aug 27, 2023
Canton, Georgia
Blowing the dust off this thread to add another tip

After great results with Turtle Wax Hybride Solutions Ceramic spray on my autos, I started using it on my bikes. You can apply it to almost any clean surface (over the wrap, not before), and it makes later bike cleanups much easier. A little goes a long way, and I use it on everything but grips and seats.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Blowing the dust off this thread to add another tip

After great results with Turtle Wax Hybride Solutions Ceramic spray on my autos, I started using it on my bikes. You can apply it to almost any clean surface (over the wrap, not before), and it makes later bike cleanups much easier. A little goes a long way, and I use it on everything but grips and seats.

Do you apply it to a rag and then to the bike? I'm always afraid of stuff like this getting on the brakes.

I sometimes coat the bike in silicone lubricant. It makes the bike look super clean when it dries and might offer some similar benefits. Seems to help keep corrosion down on bolts and stuff too.

Aug 27, 2023
Canton, Georgia
Do you apply it to a rag and then to the bike?
Depends, but once the rag is wet with coating, I just wipe it on. Ideally, you would start with a new build so you can coat each part as you go, but cleaning then coating seems to work just as well. I started using it on my frame, then tried it on my stanchions, and now, almost everything. Helps keep grime/dust off of jockey wheels, pedals, suspension, whatever. I have been using it on various parts for a couple of years now, and if there are any adverse effects, I haven't noticed.

Makes all the difference when you just want to hose off your bike after a ride.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Depends, but once the rag is wet with coating, I just wipe it on. Ideally, you would start with a new build so you can coat each part as you go, but cleaning then coating seems to work just as well. I started using it on my frame, then tried it on my stanchions, and now, almost everything. Helps keep grime/dust off of jockey wheels, pedals, suspension, whatever. I have been using it on various parts for a couple of years now, and if there are any adverse effects, I haven't noticed.

Makes all the difference when you just want to hose off your bike after a ride.
Cool, maybe I'll try it out. As someone who can be lazy and just puts the bike away dirty and brushes it off (maybe) before the next messy ride, maybe this can help.

The frame I have is anodized, so it's not a smooth surface, which doesn't help with the dirt thing - though it sure does make clean up easy, as scratches aren't really a thing to worry about. This might be a good experiment.