Quantcast

Tips for Moab?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's been more than 10 years since I was last there, but I'm finally heading back to Moab in a couple weeks. Would appreciate any tips on favorite trails, shuttle servicess, food, drink, van camping spots, etc. Probably hit Fruita while we're out there, so same questions for that area. We'll be on unrideable funduro bikes and although we're happy to pedal, shuttles are always welcome on multi-day trips like this. Thanks!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
MOAB
LOWER captain ahab, NOT UPPER
Just the old jeep road on amasa back (personal fave for smashing)
Porcupine from either the gate OR burrow pass. Lot's of the middle stuff above the gate is kind of meh
Klondike Bluffs: Baby steps NORTH, not the loop on the south side. It's just over a mile but it's a good mile
Klondike Bluffs: Alaska to Homer, or Little Salty are both good descents
Don't let anyone talk you into that mag 7 nonsense. It's nonsense that's certainly not worth driving to utah for
Got one more if you want to get rowdy

FRUITA
Ribbon in grand junction
18 road stuff is kind of meh. Good place to stretch your legs after some abuse

Call me for camping spots. I've got a few. If you don't mind paying and want a pooper the stuff out in the valley way past amasa on cane creek road is cool this time of year. Quiet and lots of star gazing.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Call me for camping spots. I've got a few. If you don't mind paying and want a pooper the stuff out in the valley way past amasa on cane creek road is cool this time of year. Quiet and lots of star gazing.
That's where I camp. Pro-tip, glow-in-the dark wiffle ball after a mushroom dinner is a lot of fun in that canyon.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Definitely check out the Mill Creek waterfall/swimming hole if it's warm at all.

- That Amasa Back jeep trail is a lot of fun.
- Fuck the climb on upper Ahab
- Bartletts Wash is worth a couple of hours of fucking around

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just got back today from 5 days out there dirtbagging it, generally go out one or two times per year.

The Burro down part of TWE was so much fun moon dust and scree surfing this year. Long range forecast looks good at the moment for Moab, but Burro down could get shut down for the year any time with a winter storm. Warner Lake was frozen over when we rode past it on Monday and then again on Tuesday morning after camping up there Monday night. Other nights we moved around on the La Sal Loop or out past Navajo Rocks off of 313.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Thanks guys. ('Woo, somehow we never got around to talking about this last weekend.)

Funny, Ahab didn't exist when I was there last time, but just watched a vid and thought the lower part looked more fun.

Keep 'em coming!

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
All of the shuttles cost the same, $30 for a ride to Geyser Pass for you to ride TWE, well worth the cash as the time to setup a self shuttle and the road conditions just aren't worth doing it in your own vehicles.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
It is illegal for a bartender to serve you a double. However, it is legal for you to buy someone else a shot which they can dump in their drink, and they can do the same for you.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
MOAB
LOWER captain ahab, NOT UPPER
:rofl:
It's really hard to beat this trail for smashing.
Klondike Bluffs: Baby steps NORTH, not the loop on the south side. It's just over a mile but it's a good mile
Y u no suggest EKG?? :mad:
Don't let anyone talk you into that mag 7 nonsense. It's nonsense that's certainly not worth driving to utah for
But do Portal. Even if you have to out-n-back it. Do NOT try to loop it from the Poison Spider jeep road.
Got one more if you want to get rowdy
:brows:
Ribbon in grand junction
18 road stuff is kind of meh. Good place to stretch your legs after some abuse
No mention of Moore Fun out at Loma? You one of those people that hates that trail? :confused:

The Szechuan Restaurant (no shit, it’s name is ‘Szechuan Restaurant’ ) on Main Street is actually really good.
Just order from the menu, though, no buffet. They make a great hot pot.
Can confirm. Bonus if you're *LIT* when you go. @Full Trucker can confirm. :homer:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Portal sucks. The hillside to the right slid off. The good part is not good any more. A bunch of loose sand and boulders that rolled into the rut. that used to be a trail underneath.

And that's coming from someone who used to consider that one of my favorite trails.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sometime before this May. Yeah I was bummed.

I remember being able to trust speed on most of those long sidehill sections and ate shit onto my face into a bunch of sand in a boulder field that had been cleared to mimic a 'trail'. It's more like a sand channel now. Might be fine with some rain.

But it ain't what it used to be.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Went last year, got 2 days of riding in.

slickrock is a good warmup ride if you have time, nothing challenging (just lots of climbing), and gets kinda samey after a bit, but all the views for the whole ride are pretty nice, plus you can watch all sorts of 4x4 action going on as you ride.

Rode porupine rim from the lazymans entrace (used coyote shuttles) down, back into town, and then to zaks for beers and pizza

If you have time / money, renting a jeep and going on the 4x4 trail fins and things is a superb option, dont do hells revenge if you have issues with heights :D

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
also, if you go to moab brewing, make sure your ID is not expired, they were the only restaurant out of the 6 we went to that were dickheads about that.

My expired ID passed through their scanner as ok at the bar, had 1 beer in the bar section, and got a 2nd one to take to the dinner table (which was legal). At the table I went to order a 3rd, and the waiter checked my ID again, saw it was 6 days expired, and confiscated the half beer I had

I was displeased

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Dave's trail is a fun for sure. We usually do that a few times on day one when getting into town.
Ahab to the shortcut and down. Fuck that whole middle.
I could ride UPS>LPS over and over and never grow sick of it.
Burro Trail might be my favorite trail evar.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Dave's trail is a fun for sure. We usually do that a few times on day one when getting into town.
Ahab to the shortcut and down. Fuck that whole middle.
I could ride UPS>LPS over and over and never grow sick of it.
Burro Trail might be my favorite trail evar.
Ahab was pretty new when we rode it for the 1st time, and we made the mistake of riding *all* the rest of the Amasa Back area, then rode back to the upper start of Ahab and did the whole thing. That was... a mistake. :dead:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
also, if you go to moab brewing, make sure your ID is not expired, they were the only restaurant out of the 6 we went to that were dickheads about that.

My expired ID passed through their scanner as ok at the bar, had 1 beer in the bar section, and got a 2nd one to take to the dinner table (which was legal). At the table I went to order a 3rd, and the waiter checked my ID again, saw it was 6 days expired, and confiscated the half beer I had

I was displeased

Ok, somebody needs to explain the "Papers Please" to me?
You need special ID to get booze?
You are legal, but when the ID ages out you are no longer, even though you are past the age of majority?

So they take your beer, hope you got half the price back...

I'm confused by a lot of the Freedumbs you yanks have.

...so what the F am I missing?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
You are legal, but when the ID ages out you are no longer, even though you are past the age of majority?

Utah has a lot of restrictive liquor laws. It's the overreach of the majority Morman population, all up in our gub'mints.
(I think Colorado should annex everything in Utah from the Wasatch and east)

In the US an expired ID can be rejected, but its subjective. You do need to show ID, like a driver's license, in order to prove your age to buy liquor. Hence, the problem.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Nothing

utah business are hardasses about alcohol because utah is is hard on them

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The rules are usually not about how old you actually are, they are about whether you have valid proof, and Utah is more strict than most when it's comes to the devil's juice. A bar could get screwed for serving a beer to someone who is clearly way over the minimum age if they don't have a valid ID.

(Checks license...whew, should be good.)

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC

States can enforce laws that are different from federal ones

Utah has a hate boner for alcohol (thanks mormons) (and you too obummer)

in the beer sections of the supermarket, all the coolers that have beer in them have stickers on the door that says "contains alcohol" in big letters or something like that

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
While fun, I prefer Rockstacker/Jacksons over bombing down the Jeep road. Or up-n-over from Rockstacker and finish on Ajab.

Disagree. Mag 7 is pedaly, but pretty damn fun. Sad to hear about Portal, especially when Blue Dot is worth the time.

Y u no suggest EKG?? :mad:
Because it sucks.

No mention of Moore Fun out at Loma? You one of those people that hates that trail? :confused:
Yes, because it sucks.

Can confirm. Bonus if you're *LIT* when you go. @Full Trucker can confirm. :homer:
What? I don't remember any Szechuan Restaurant...

Portal sucks. The hillside to the right slid off. The good part is not good any more. A bunch of loose sand and boulders that rolled into the rut. that used to be a trail underneath.

And that's coming from someone who used to consider that one of my favorite trails.
Well that's a bummer.

slickrock is a good warmup ride if you have time...
No, it's not.

Dave's trail is a fun for sure.
Note to self: ride Dave's Trail.

finefine
its more of a sightseeing ride
No, it's not.