Quantcast

tire choice (stuff from the UCI)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
steve arrowood posted this on teh trials list:

Everyone running HotS's but Jeremy and Ross discovered a better tire(Maxxis High Roller-slow rebound Durometer 45)so the mechanics set us up with matched sets and we believe we've found a true advantage for once!
the high rollers are kinda heavy (i've got a 2.5" on my freeride bike), but have people used them to good effect on trials rigs?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
How do you guys do all those rear-wheel moves without a DH- cased tire?

I see all the vids and those guys look like they're running 5 PSI or so...

What is the minimum pressure you need to get grip for this kind of thing? 'Cuz the Hot S has a PAPER thin sidewall.

Thanks for the info!

MD

hectolyte

Chimp
Jun 28, 2002
Davis, CA
Thats something that bugs me. It seems to me that all these people write into biketrials.com that they run some xc tire in the rear and run 20 psi urban, 12 natural. They don't list their weights, so I have to assume that they are sub 100 pounds. I don't see how "smoothness" has much to do with tire pressure. If you are gapping or dropping to something pointy, you run the risk of pinching. How can technique or style save your tube?

Bonk

Mike Bloss, Hero
Originally posted by hectolyte
Thats something that bugs me. It seems to me that all these people write into biketrials.com that they run some xc tire in the rear and run 20 psi urban, 12 natural. They don't list their weights, so I have to assume that they are sub 100 pounds. I don't see how "smoothness" has much to do with tire pressure. If you are gapping or dropping to something pointy, you run the risk of pinching. How can technique or style save your tube?
Buy learning to absorb things and making more fluid movements. Moving with the movements of the bike.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
You'd be amazed what smoothness will do. It's not about even hitting rim - it's about hitting rim sharply. So if you're smooth, you can get away with it.

I was riding today with Dennis Goj, whom some of you may recognize (rides expert/pro in BC) - he is currently running a Tioga XC 1.85 in the rear. Yes, 1.85 in the rear. I don't think he's pinched yet, and trust me he goes BIG. 9-10 ft gaps today (with a drop obviously) to sharp edged cement walls, and some rail action too.

I am running a Michelin Wildgripper 2.1 in the rear, I really like it. I run about 28psi though. The thin sidewalls are very responsive.

hectolyte

Chimp
Jun 28, 2002
Davis, CA
out of curiosity, why is Dennis Goj running that tire? Even being "smooth" it seems to me the bigger you go, the more cushion you would want....

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
well, you're right cushion is nice, but there's a few reasons..

(He's been bit by the euro bug.. which is to be as smoooooth as possible)

-A skinnier tire forces you to be smooth
-You only want as fat/heavy a tire as you NEED. If you're not using the extra cush, you might as well benefit from a lighter tire

I run a 2.1 rear cos I don't go big, and also I ride primarily natural - you want a grippy tire rather than a big one for natural (I'm gonna try the echo tire eventually... looks sweet)

I think it's a matter of priorities more than anything - weight or comfort? I like lunge moves (kinda needed for natural) and a light bike (mines under 22lbs now) really really helps my confidence