Quantcast

Tire Choices

paintmc

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
Hey All,

I am not an expert on the subject of tires but would like to know what tire would be ideal for the terrain I ride. I ride 99% DH @ Bromont Qc. It is as many know littered with alot of loose rocks, big knarly rock gardens and some hard pack berms and trails. I find myself slipping alot on roots and rocks. I currently ride a Banshee Scream with 2.7F / 2.5R Nevegals. They have been ok but not great (could be due to my skill level also).

I don't mind spending for good tires and don't mind having to change them often if need be. I was looking at the 42duro Minion DHF or DHR....Not sure which would be better. They seem to have similar descriptions and purposes.

Not sure it makes a difference but I am 230lbs, so that being said between me and the Scream.....Its a train come down the hill...lol

Cheers,
Big T :thumb:

SirRidealot

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
The Bike Park
DHF means front and DHR means rear. I ride DHF in both front and rear which at least in theory should give me better acceleration (lower rolling resistance) at the expense of a bit of braking power.

I like the tires and find that the side knobs don't break of as easily as on the Michelin DH16 I was using before.

paintmc

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. It seems reading around that alot of people use the DHF for both front and rear ? Is there a reason for that ? Or just preference ?

Also looking on the Maxxis website I see that the DHF is 2 ply casting, DHR is single ply. Why the difference if they are meant to be run together.

thanks

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
DHF/High roller combo if you use your brakes ;) DHFx2 if not ;) You could also try the new schwables in guey gluey compound. Seem them in schladming and they look really good.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've had good luck running the DHF front and rear at Bromont. I weigh 210 with no gear, and choose the 2.7 with 3C compound. The 2.7 might be a bit heavier, but I'm not racing and I like the extra cush and traction the wider tire affords me. I also find the higher volume adds some insurance in the rock gardens. Be forewarned though, the Maxxis 2.7 will look smaller than your 2.5 Nevegal... it still performs waaay better.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I ride 2.5" DHF/DHR 3c compound tires and have been happy with them so far, with the exception that I would prefer a 2.7 in the front. Maxxis tires are WAY undersized compared to other tires...somebody screwed up the measuring tape. 3Cs seem to offer a good mix of durability and traction.

I can't comment on the DHR vs. DHF in the rear, but i seem to get pretty good traction and a predictable slide out of the DHR, but most people seem to prefer the dual DHF.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
huge minion fan here in the super wet like whistler but I am thinking about doing something nuts and trying the Continental Der Kaiser's this next season as my go to tire for the east...

In super wet you cant beat 40 durometer maxxis

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
That's what I thought but wasn't sure. It seems reading around that alot of people use the DHF for both front and rear ? Is there a reason for that ? Or just preference ?

Also looking on the Maxxis website I see that the DHF is 2 ply casting, DHR is single ply. Why the difference if they are meant to be run together.

thanks
It depends where you look. The Minion 2.35 and 2.5 come in single-ply and 2-ply versions. You want the 2-ply.

The single-ply is the "freeride" casing, which is slightly thicker than the XC racing casing. It would hold up if you were really gentle, but it's not worth using on a big bike for shuttle/lift-served use.

If you're riding lift-served, I wouldn't bother running the DHF as a rear tire unless you have the money to burn. The DHR works fine.

paintmc

Chimp
Sep 23, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. For dry conditions am I better with the 3C or 40a or 60a

I think it will be DHF 2.7 front 3C & DHF or DHR 2.5 3c rear.

Cheers to all

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
If you're riding lift-served, I wouldn't bother running the DHF as a rear tire unless you have the money to burn. The DHR works fine.
I'm not sure I understand your argument/logic here. I find the DHF lasts waaay longer than the DHR. It's the size of those centre knobs that are so much bigger and thicker.

Another reason I run DHF front and rear is that when your rear tire is toast, you can swap your front tire to the rear, and put a fresh front tire on. I find it's better to have a fresh front than rear.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I'm not sure I understand your argument/logic here. I find the DHF lasts waaay longer than the DHR. It's the size of those centre knobs that are so much bigger and thicker.

Another reason I run DHF front and rear is that when your rear tire is toast, you can swap your front tire to the rear, and put a fresh front tire on. I find it's better to have a fresh front than rear.
I didn't say anything about "lasting," but if you want my personal experience, the rear tire always wears faster than the front, no matter what you do, if they're the same compound. I find the DHR works fine as a rear tire. High Roller is even better. But the OP asked about the DHR, as I read it.

Maybe you assumed I was talking about something else. The reason I said to use the DHR in the rear is for braking control, which it has over the DHF. But that's personal choice. I notice a lot of people started talking about the DHF as a rear tire shortly after it was disclosed that Sam Hill rides one in the rear. I don't think what Sam Hill does should influence any rider who lacks Sam Hill's cornering skills. As I understand things, Sam Hill's cornering depends on a hell of a lot more than what rear tire he runs. In fact I'd argue that it's his incredible cornering skill that lets him run a DHF in the rear, and not vice-versa.

The "money to burn" reference meant that he may find the DHF isn't as good, and therefore he's bought 3 tires when he could have bought two, because he then buys a different rear tire to give him better rear wheel control... see what I mean?

Personally, I prefer the High Roller rear with the DHF front. But the DHR rear works well too, in my view. I'd rather use it than the DHF as a rear tire. No "logic" in it other than it works better for me. Don't feel offended, it's a difference of opinion.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I didn't say anything about "lasting," but if you want my personal experience, the rear tire always wears faster than the front, no matter what you do, if they're the same compound. I find the DHR works fine as a rear tire. High Roller is even better. But the OP asked about the DHR, as I read it.

Maybe you assumed I was talking about something else. The reason I said to use the DHR in the rear is for braking control, which it has over the DHF. But that's personal choice. I notice a lot of people started talking about the DHF as a rear tire shortly after it was disclosed that Sam Hill rides one in the rear. I don't think what Sam Hill does should influence any rider who lacks Sam Hill's cornering skills. As I understand things, Sam Hill's cornering depends on a hell of a lot more than what rear tire he runs. In fact I'd argue that it's his incredible cornering skill that lets him run a DHF in the rear, and not vice-versa.

The "money to burn" reference meant that he may find the DHF isn't as good, and therefore he's bought 3 tires when he could have bought two, because he then buys a different rear tire to give him better rear wheel control... see what I mean?

Personally, I prefer the High Roller rear with the DHF front. But the DHR rear works well too, in my view. I'd rather use it than the DHF as a rear tire. No "logic" in it other than it works better for me. Don't feel offended, it's a difference of opinion.
No, not offended, I was asking for clarification because I didn't understand your point. And I'm still not sure that I understand it.

Are you saying that the DHF is not a good rear tire, and that if anyone went with a DHF as a rear tire they would discover they don't have Sam Hill cornering skills, and then would have to buy another rear tire, which is would make it more expensive? I'm being a little sarcastic there, but I think you're being hard on the DHF as a rear tire. I actually preferred how it cornered vs. the DHR. I felt the DHR would break loose whereas the DHF rails the corners. In fact, I felt like to have to force it to come out of turns sometimes, like it doesn't want to release out of the turn... not sure I'm describing it well, but that's the feeling I got when I switched over.

And if you're suggesting I'm a Hill fanboi, then I'd like to say that I didn't know he rode that combo. The reason I came to that combination was because about three years ago, during a bike trip out west, I was complaining that one day in Pemberton had killed my DHR. We were with guides, and they were the ones that told me that they run DHF/DHF. They last longer, and you always end up with a fresh front tire. They do it to save money because they ride frequently and wear out rear tires every two to three weeks. I gave it a try, and found that it works really quite well. I ride in Bromont, and other hills similar to Bromont. My experience has been that the DHF/DHF combo works well for me there.

On the other hand, I haven't actually tried a High Roller for DH. I ride it for XC and AM and love it. Great traction, rolls and corners well. I've been told its fast for DH, but that's all I know about it for that application. I still don't think it would outlast a DHF. It also might not cope too well with some of the Bromont mud.

Also, I have a buddy who went from Maxxis to Schwalbe. Big Betty and Muddy Mary. He likes them a lot and races them on the Ontario Cup circuit. They have pretty strong sidewalls, and good air volume. THey're pricey though...

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
Check out Duro Tire's line up for 2010. I ride east coast slop all the time. Got to test the Duro Muckmeister. Yeah, it's a mudder. Awsome grip on the nasty off-camber stuff at Platty last Saturday. Haven't tried their DH race tire - the Razorback i think its called. But have heard great things about it from a fellow racer. These tires are FRO. I run DHF's F/R too. A good switch from the nevegals IMO.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
If you ride anywhere that isn't super loose, try the High Rollers front and rear. I've noticed they give WAY more straightline braking traction than the Minions do, and in some instances have a bit more support from the sideknobs since they don't modulate as much and seem to have a bit more predictable drifting at mid-lean. Just depends what you're after.