Quantcast

Tire + heat gun...will it pop?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I had a tire that was being a little bitch this AM & had to use the heat gun on it to get the bead to snap over the rim.
When pumping it up, it made lots of weird squeaking noises but didnt pop.
Thoughts whether it will pop?
Just thinking the structural integrity has been compromised.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
no, this is the Cadillac of heat guns, my friend. I had her turned up to 875º.

Last edited:

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Some guy blew his hand up badly here by pumping the tire of his wheelbarrow to 100 psi+ while squeezing it with his other hand. Apparently he had only used those tire inflators where you set the pressure and the pump shuts off automagically. The store clerk described the hand as a "bloody swastika"

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I had a tire that was being a little bitch this AM & had to use the heat gun on it to get the bead to snap over the rim.
When pumping it up, it made lots of weird squeaking noises but didnt pop.
Thoughts whether it will pop?
Just thinking the structural integrity has been compromised.
I thought that we decided years ago that strawberry flavored astroglide was the best method for dealing with stubborn tire beads.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
This is a first, never heard of anyone taking a heat gun to a tire. You've probably done some damage to the tire by using that much heat. Next time try a little soapy water or an oversized DH lever.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive thought about using a heatgun in the heat of fighting a tire onto the rim. i usually lay them out in the sun along with some cursing

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
The store clerk described the hand as a "bloody swastika"
ugh. seriously thought something like this was gonna happen. Glad it didn't.

Kicker is...this is L's bike. I think it will be fine. I rode the thing the cul de sac no problemo.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I don't see how the heat gun would help... The tire has either a wire bead or a kevlar bead. The rubber might get more pliable but that would not stretch the bead of the tire at all.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I don't see how the heat gun would help... The tire has either a wire bead or a kevlar bead. The rubber might get more pliable but that would not stretch the bead of the tire at all.
totally helped.

JBP- it is and this AM in a convo with L about the situation, the analogy I used is, it's better to lose a pinky than a thumb. :D