Quantcast

Tire help

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Currently my commuter is a voodoo cx bike. I have been running cx tires on it since I started riding it 6 years ago. However, I am having issues with tire pressure, especially the rear wheel. I can't get it aired up as much as I'd like. When I do get it filled to the pressure I like it stays like that for the first 30 minutes of the ride then it starts losing pressure.

It might not be a slow leak because there is a threshold that it hits where it stops losing pressure, or so it seems. I'm wondering if I get road tires, will I be able to put more pressure in them. Right now my back end stays kind of squirrelly around fast corners because I can't keep the tire pressure as high as I'd like.

It has been forever since I have dealt with bike components of any sort and I have no experience with road tires at all, never even ridden a bike with road tires on it. I'd like to get a really good set of tires for commuting in a city with tons of pot holes. Tons.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
road tires, typically, are rated to higher pressure than cross tires. That being said, I've ran 80 psi in my cross tires before and didn't have a problem. Have you tried pulling the tube out and putting it in a small bucket of water to find the hole? Or maybe a little Stans/slime in the tube?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Do what ire said... or just put a new tube in it. You probably have a teensy tiny hole in the tube that seals itself when you pump it up but once you start riding it that allows it to leak. Or it could be the valve leaking which can drive you crazy trying to figure that out.

Is the tire inflated enough before it leaks down?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Yea, what they said. New tube = $4 and is more than likely the problem. Try that before sinking money into new tires (unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy new rubber).

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
The tire is definitely inflated enough before it leaks down.

I am going to pull the tube out tonight and take a look at it. Collin just got me new cx tires so I don't need new ones.