Quantcast

Tire Inserts

• Enter the Ridemonkey Secret Santa 2020!

Come exchange gifts with other monkeys! From beer, to light-up bike nuts, to custom machined holiday decorations, there's something for everyone. To participate, make sure you send your email by November 29th.
    Click here for details and to learn how to participate.

Andeh

Chimp
Mar 3, 2020
I cracked a WeAreOne Agent with a CushCore XC insert yesterday on a hilariously poorly timed bunny hop of a curb. So I probably need to suck it up and run the Pro version. And learn to ride.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
My impression of CushCore:
- I love them on gnarly rocky trails. It is a true game changer, as it opens up crazy lines that would normally end up with pinch flatted tires and broken rims.
- I hate their weight on mellower trails and when I need to climb.

Result: I am building a second wheelset for non lift-assisted riding. I guess the lizards won again.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
My impression of CushCore:
- I love them on gnarly rocky trails. It is a true game changer, as it opens up crazy lines that would normally end up with pinch flatted tires and broken rims.
- I hate their weight on mellower trails and when I need to climb.

Result: I am building a second wheelset for non lift-assisted riding. I guess the lizards won again.
I'm going to try the Tannus next. I too love Cushcore except for the climbs. Cushcore XC doesn't come close either.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I haven't tried CushCore XC, are you guys noticing a big difference in rim/flat protection AND tire damping compared to the normal CushCore Pro?

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Anyone try the Nukeproof inserts? Price is right, not too heavy. Have used Huck Norris and with EXO casing no flats. Just looking to try something new.

Andeh

Chimp
Mar 3, 2020
There was a (I think) Trailpeek / Vital video at some point this summer where the guy did back to back to back laps at Kirkwood bike park on the Huck Norris, Nukeproof, and Cushcore. I sort of recall he liked the Nukeproof the best.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I haven't tried CushCore XC, are you guys noticing a big difference in rim/flat protection AND tire damping compared to the normal CushCore Pro?
No real damping, I've heard rim hits with the XC version so I didn't push it and went back to Pro. It might work better for people who like narrow rims and 2.3 tires. But the XC doesn't cover much of a 30i rim with 2.5 tires.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Anyone try the Nukeproof inserts? Price is right, not too heavy. Have used Huck Norris and with EXO casing no flats. Just looking to try something new.

I want to try these, but I have seen multiple reviews where people say they stretch after a short time of use. One or two said you can hear them bouncing around in the tire..

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
A local shop carries Tannus inserts individually so I'll probably try one on the trail bike. Currently has Cushcore in the rear. Plus Cushcore is way more expensive and I've only seen them sold in pairs here.

Speaking of Cushcore, who's using normal valves? What modifications did you make to them?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I want to try these, but I have seen multiple reviews where people say they stretch after a short time of use. One or two said you can hear them bouncing around in the tire..
I had that the other day and just thought it was due to extended exposure to the Bongshed. I was wondering if I accidentally put a 29 insert in a 27 wheel. I didn’t feel like dealing with it so it’s it’s still bouncing... I prefer the Cush Core out of all the inserts I’ve tried, fwiw.

jonKranked

Press Button, Receive Stupid
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Speaking of Cushcore, who's using normal valves? What modifications did you make to them?
Don't. You'll hate yourself.

Edit: I tried regular valves with my rimpact thinking it wasn't a big deal. I was way wrong. I had to use a clamp to get enough leverage on the tire/insert to unblock it and deflate the tire. The unblockable valves have to be side drilled so that air/sealant can still flow through when the insert is installed over it. Regular valves don't look to have enough material for side drilling (at least none of the ones I have). As far as I can tell the CC ones are nearly identical to the rimpact ones.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Press Button, Receive Stupid
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, no one else tried rimpact? For trail use they're quite nice, I have the old version and now there's the Pro (dual density) version. Much easier install than CC and a fraction of the weight while having similar volume. The foam is less dense, so it doesn't give as much damping as CC, and probably not as durable (but it also costs less too)