Quantcast

Tire Inserts

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Just started to install a Tannus into rear wheel of wife's new DH rig. Now I can't remember how I finally beat it into submission when I did my install without checking in here.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
For the tannus installation, I took one tip from cushcore videos, which is once one bead is seated, to sort grab the insert and the casing together and roll them back, and then sort of tuck the bead into the rim channel with your fingers. You go around the whole wheel doing this. It helps get everything into the proper position to seat more easily.
I'm going to try this first with the Tannus. With Cushcore a pick up and roll motion with you fingers toward you sets the tire bead in the channel.
These helped me on my install today. The tyre was being fully seated by the insert so I didn't have the slack to mount the last chunk. But by pulling/rolling the tyre under the insert opposite the valve I was able to work all of the seated bead back into the channel.

That looks like a 220mm rotor on a 26" wheel from this angle.
220 on the rear 27.5, (220 also on the front 29") stock on the commencal build.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Have to admit, I was turned off by the Tannus PITA factor. Haven’t put it back on since Perú. But I have cracked two rims. Mostly due to under inflation.
Honestly people give Cushcore a bad rap. But it's much easier to install than Tannus. It stays put while installing. And doesn't move in the tire when riding.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
I guess I got lucky? I installed Tannus in both my wheels a few weeks ago and had everything done in about 30 minutes. No more difficult than installing tubes used to be and it has been fine, no wobbles.
I9 rims with 27mm id
2.3 Terrene Chunk tires

Pop off one side of tire
Pull Tannus out of box
Insert into tire
Work bead back on about 3/4 of the way
Add 4 oz sealant
Use two tire levers to work the remaining bead on
Do a visual check that the bead is even
Air up tire to 60 PSI to "pop" the bead into place
Throw the spinning wheel into the air a few times, letting it bounce back into your hand (maybe not needed, but it's what I did)
Reduce air pressure to riding pressure.

It held air overnight and then I went for a three hour ride. Seemed fine, definitely no wobble even in the air. The only thing that I really noticed was the damping of the trail "chatter". If any of the other benefits were present I didn't notice as they were subtle. I haven't really had an issue with flats or dinged rims, but I'm trying to find more of the trails I grew up on rather than IMBA/ Strava groomed style so I figured I would at least try them out. I don't have any reason to take them out, but as of now I'm not leaning one way or the other. Maybe if I had a history of problems I would see more benefit.

For reference:
175 lbs, riding style is more pump and float than plow into things. 160mm f/ 150mm r. 22 psi front and rear

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My tannus was nearly impossible to ‘insert into tire’ , there was really no proceeding after that step. It was just way, way too tight to fit over the rim. The local shop owed me labor for labor, so it was a no-brainer to give up easily and have them do it. I’m gonna give it another go soon, though.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
My tannus was nearly impossible to ‘insert into tire’ , there was really no proceeding after that step. It was just way, way too tight to fit over the rim. The local shop owed me labor for labor, so it was a no-brainer to give up easily and have them do it. I’m gonna give it another go soon, though.
Good luck! Like Redwood Mulch Chucker said the 27.5 is pretty loose, it just went into the tire. When I was reseating the bead I had the "open" side away from me with thumbs towards me and eight fingers reseating the bead. I essentially pushed the insert up into the tire as I folded the bead inward and back onto the rim. I worked my way around the tire until it got to the point my fingers weren't working anymore then added the sealant and used one tire lever to hold one end of the bead while I used the other one to work the rest of the bead on. Wish there was some magic trick I could tell you to make it easier, but it was pretty straightforward for me.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Exactly, it’s a conundrum. I would really just like to hang out in some pro dh pits and watch people who know what they are doing with inserts up close.
There’s one key: push the tire bead down into the center of the rim. I’ve installed tires over CushCore sans tire levers before by doing that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There’s one key: push the tire bead down into the center of the rim. I’ve installed tires over CushCore sans tire levers before by doing that.

This, just pray you don't fuck up your rim tape, which I usually do. So you get practice pulling things apart, re-doing tape, reinstalling, taking apart, re-doing tape, reinstalling, pulling things apart...

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
This, just pray you don't fuck up your rim tape, which I usually do. So you get practice pulling things apart, re-doing tape, reinstalling, taking apart, re-doing tape, reinstalling, pulling things apart...
I've been using Wiskey rim tape and have not had any issues, but have fucked up tape countless times before switching.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've been using Wiskey rim tape and have not had any issues, but have fucked up tape countless times before switching.
I have a few rims where the anodization is so slick and the profile is unfriendly enough that nothing fucking sticks to it. Tape has slid and rolled up without even mounting a tire on it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I guess I got lucky? I installed Tannus in both my wheels a few weeks ago and had everything done in about 30 minutes. No more difficult than installing tubes used to be and it has been fine, no wobbles.
Come on lets be fair here, installing tubes only takes 30 minutes if you're stopping to enjoy a beer per tube install. :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
PROCORE UPDATE!
This is to what happens if you have a failure of tire ripping...procore will save your ass...it rocks.

Ran a thin carcass tire with my weight and the rock spot I'll loose Everytime....

1- You will still need to run a heavier center casing If you gash tires on rocks

2- you can ride out of a rock pile and a trail on nasty crap with a flat and procore. It holds bead some tread fold but rideable. They actually handle some nasty stuff on procore itself. I didn't care if it shredded I wanted to see if it was durable and I have another set coming...so I rode it pretty damn hard, turning up a berm or off camber got wishy washy...aside of that you can hold a pretty fast run lean back, manual some and weight rear tire off front...(if it's front tire)

3- it is SUPER easy to swap tires and can be done on trail if needed...

4- if you have to plug a tire, fold tire out leave procore inflated and push insert into tire while holding fold on tire..plug will go in and angle a little diagonal of worried.

So bike got new gravity kicks on and I'll stay with trail for some and super gravity for all else...

20210821_123355.jpg
20210821_181209.jpg
20210821_181227.jpg

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Older snakeskin...sidewalls are fine lol center of tread not so much...error is mine.
Trail and my weight/style won't work regardless of procore...
The rocks are just to much for this combo thin carcass and medium PSI..procore was what made pedalling out possible and failure was not something procore could have prevented.

But you can roll a thinner carcass and low psi reliably with procore JUST FINE if your not running a knives out type of rock garden... It will hold that tire and lock it too the bead , as well as reinforce lateral stiffness from procore pushing out and up part of sidewall...

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
What casing was the murdered one?
Snakeskin like an earlier trail star pre new trail star. New trail star is a bit thicker...I will be grabbing some for anywhere but tire kill hill...(lol it's funny how many guys come off this hill with slashed sidewalls).
BuckoW and another was right that regardless of set up jagged sharp rocks and my weight aren't a good combo...it works everywhere else and in rocks...these rocks actually slice tires, it's a very unique style of rocks and jagged nasty...it's the only trail around here like this....also why I dial suspension in on it...

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The last day I rode at a resort I had 29psi in my 29" DH bike's rear tire and still felt the rim hit a couple times. I don't want to go up in pressure and stupid Maxxis only makes DH casing rear tires in 2.4" so I decided to try a Tannus insert zince that's all that was available. It wasn't too hard to install on a rim that's fairly tight fitting. I got to try it at Snowmass and was really impressed. With 27-28psi I never felt the rim hit and was pounding through the rocks harder than ever. I kept increasing HSC on the shock and riding harder and harder until my hands were done. What a great day and the insert definitely played a part.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
@bullcrew if you want to pick up a couple more they are really discounted right now. All three sizes show in stock.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
@bullcrew if you want to pick up a couple more they are really discounted right now. All three sizes show in stock.
$10 for the 26" system

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Thanks man and yeah I will.
Appreciate the heads up.
just ordered a few more sets...thanks

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey so I just saw procore for $8 on bike closet. I'm going to buy it because I'm an idiot. Is it still a reasonable system? I have tubeless in my wheels now.