Quantcast

Tire Inserts

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I do love em..I've tore a couple tires and was able to ride out (like mud or snow) tire walks left and right but the procore won't let the bead loose even off camber..noticed a huge difference at the resort, less pressure and was able to really get after berms and nasty lines...there's a big difference for sure, I will be keeping them in on all the bikes...buddy went procore after he flatted and rolled a tire off bead with cushcore trying to ride out...

All good systems (being nice) I'll stick with procore...

Only negative I can see is it takes time but because it holds tire bead so well I rip in and out of berms and notice sealant wearing through sidewalls but I also weigh 240 before breakfast ..
I do push berms and corners hard so combined with weight it's hard on any tire...but I have had a smidgen of weeping at bead 1 time but I'm more surprised the rear triangle held up and rim...

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Well, it's almost 202fuckin'4. I ain't getting any younger, but decided I'm keeping my summer-fling DH bike for at least another season, and have managed to ding up the soft cheese spec'd stock wheels it came with so badly that I can't run the rear tubeless anymore because it has more dents in it than Gary's head.

Going to build new wheels up over the winter, going to want to add at least a rear insert, and prices seemed to come down to something almost abnormal in the bike industry. I can spell "crush core" in the search bar of Universal Cycles easily enough, is there any reason to look beyond that brand anymore?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Well, it's almost 202fuckin'4. I ain't getting any younger, but decided I'm keeping my summer-fling DH bike for at least another season, and have managed to ding up the soft cheese spec'd stock wheels it came with so badly that I can't run the rear tubeless anymore because it has more dents in it than Gary's head.

Going to build new wheels up over the winter, going to want to add at least a rear insert, and prices seemed to come down to something almost abnormal in the bike industry. I can spell "crush core" in the search bar of Universal Cycles easily enough, is there any reason to look beyond that brand anymore?
I think it depends on what your objectives (and preferences) are. Protect your rim? Ability to run flat? sidewall support for better cornering?

I found the pinkbike article from earlier this year (or was it last year?) to be pretty helpful. In particular this image:
1698709563488.png

it's what got me to decide to try the rimpact pro

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think it depends on what your objectives (and preferences) are. Protect your rim? Ability to run flat? sidewall support for better cornering?

I found the pinkbike article from earlier this year (or was it last year?) to be pretty helpful. In particular this image:
View attachment 202878

Took me a second to interpret that correctly. Looks like the tannus pool noodle I have is a reasonable option.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn

View attachment 202878

Ooh, this great, thanks for the link. I'm a little of column A, little of column C. Definitely flat and rim protection -- and as much as I like to think I need stronger sidewalls, all that thrapping through berms, tire rolling and sealant spraying was more than likely my shit rims, and not my 50-something-year-old-man speed

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

I have 2 rear wheels for my DH bike, one with Cush Core, one with Tannus. I prefer the Tannus. It's shaped much differently and I think that improves the ride feel. It's taller, so begins absorbing an impact earlier and it's hollow shape compresses for a steady ramping up. The Cush Core feels like a thin bumper that deadens the blow when you hit the rim. Tannus is lighter too and works with normal valves.
I only run an insert in the rear and only on my DH bike.