Quantcast

Tire Inserts

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I cracked a WeAreOne Agent with a CushCore XC insert yesterday on a hilariously poorly timed bunny hop of a curb. So I probably need to suck it up and run the Pro version. And learn to ride.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
My impression of CushCore:
- I love them on gnarly rocky trails. It is a true game changer, as it opens up crazy lines that would normally end up with pinch flatted tires and broken rims.
- I hate their weight on mellower trails and when I need to climb.

Result: I am building a second wheelset for non lift-assisted riding. I guess the lizards won again.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
My impression of CushCore:
- I love them on gnarly rocky trails. It is a true game changer, as it opens up crazy lines that would normally end up with pinch flatted tires and broken rims.
- I hate their weight on mellower trails and when I need to climb.

Result: I am building a second wheelset for non lift-assisted riding. I guess the lizards won again.
I'm going to try the Tannus next. I too love Cushcore except for the climbs. Cushcore XC doesn't come close either.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
I haven't tried CushCore XC, are you guys noticing a big difference in rim/flat protection AND tire damping compared to the normal CushCore Pro?

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Anyone try the Nukeproof inserts? Price is right, not too heavy. Have used Huck Norris and with EXO casing no flats. Just looking to try something new.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
There was a (I think) Trailpeek / Vital video at some point this summer where the guy did back to back to back laps at Kirkwood bike park on the Huck Norris, Nukeproof, and Cushcore. I sort of recall he liked the Nukeproof the best.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I haven't tried CushCore XC, are you guys noticing a big difference in rim/flat protection AND tire damping compared to the normal CushCore Pro?
No real damping, I've heard rim hits with the XC version so I didn't push it and went back to Pro. It might work better for people who like narrow rims and 2.3 tires. But the XC doesn't cover much of a 30i rim with 2.5 tires.

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Anyone try the Nukeproof inserts? Price is right, not too heavy. Have used Huck Norris and with EXO casing no flats. Just looking to try something new.

I want to try these, but I have seen multiple reviews where people say they stretch after a short time of use. One or two said you can hear them bouncing around in the tire..

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
A local shop carries Tannus inserts individually so I'll probably try one on the trail bike. Currently has Cushcore in the rear. Plus Cushcore is way more expensive and I've only seen them sold in pairs here.

Speaking of Cushcore, who's using normal valves? What modifications did you make to them?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
I want to try these, but I have seen multiple reviews where people say they stretch after a short time of use. One or two said you can hear them bouncing around in the tire..
I had that the other day and just thought it was due to extended exposure to the Bongshed. I was wondering if I accidentally put a 29 insert in a 27 wheel. I didn’t feel like dealing with it so it’s it’s still bouncing... I prefer the Cush Core out of all the inserts I’ve tried, fwiw.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Speaking of Cushcore, who's using normal valves? What modifications did you make to them?
Don't. You'll hate yourself.

Edit: I tried regular valves with my rimpact thinking it wasn't a big deal. I was way wrong. I had to use a clamp to get enough leverage on the tire/insert to unblock it and deflate the tire. The unblockable valves have to be side drilled so that air/sealant can still flow through when the insert is installed over it. Regular valves don't look to have enough material for side drilling (at least none of the ones I have). As far as I can tell the CC ones are nearly identical to the rimpact ones.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Also, no one else tried rimpact? For trail use they're quite nice, I have the old version and now there's the Pro (dual density) version. Much easier install than CC and a fraction of the weight while having similar volume. The foam is less dense, so it doesn't give as much damping as CC, and probably not as durable (but it also costs less too)

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
Also, no one else tried rimpact? For trail use they're quite nice, I have the old version and now there's the Pro (dual density) version. Much easier install than CC and a fraction of the weight while having similar volume. The foam is less dense, so it doesn't give as much damping as CC, and probably not as durable (but it also costs less too)
I'm running Rimpact regular and Pro. Only one pinch flat since I started using them.

I smacked a rock hard enough on my hardtail to hurt my ankles and break a couple spokes, but no pinch flat. One of the spokes was pushed through the tape causing a flat, though. Didn't have my special tool and didn't feel like dealing with it, so rode the rest of the 3 mile mostly descent on a flat. It wasn't ideal, but wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. The sidewall of the tire is a little worn, but it's in great shape considering.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm running Rimpact regular and Pro. Only one pinch flat since I started using them.

I smacked a rock hard enough on my hardtail to hurt my ankles and break a couple spokes, but no pinch flat. One of the spokes was pushed through the tape causing a flat, though. Didn't have my special tool and didn't feel like dealing with it, so rode the rest of the 3 mile mostly descent on a flat. It wasn't ideal, but wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. The sidewall of the tire is a little worn, but it's in great shape considering.
what are your thoughts on the pro vs regular?

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
what are your thoughts on the pro vs regular?
I've had good luck (one pinch flat) with the regular, so probably not worth it. The Pro is noticeably harder which you can feel when smacking things.

FTR, I only run inserts to avoid pinch flats and so that I can run normal PSI, and I only got the Pro because it was going on a hardtail with crappy 24h rims. Can't say I've noticed any major performance benefit from running any insert other than the ability to run lower PSI.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've had good luck (one pinch flat) with the regular, so probably not worth it. The Pro is noticeably harder which you can feel when smacking things.

FTR, I only run inserts to avoid pinch flats and so that I can run normal PSI, and I only got the Pro because it was going on a hardtail with crappy 24h rims. Can't say I've noticed any major performance benefit from running any insert other than the ability to run lower PSI.
the biggest difference I notice is that the tires don't squish/roll/deform when cornering hard.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Tire insert and "regular" tire vs DH Tire (no insert)...Has anyone done this comparison?

I have done Schwalbe innertube thing (forget what its called) and CushCore. Maybe its the old man thats not going mach plaid anymore, but im on the DH tire program now. Sometimes even with a tube! With work and kid and limited time to work on bikes, it seems to be the winner....for me. Simplicity and utility.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Tire insert and "regular" tire vs DH Tire (no insert)...Has anyone done this comparison?

I have done Schwalbe innertube thing (forget what its called) and CushCore. Maybe its the old man thats not going mach plaid anymore, but im on the DH tire program now. Sometimes even with a tube! With work and kid and limited time to work on bikes, it seems to be the winner....for me. Simplicity and utility.
i'm with you - i'm sold on the ease and benefits of double down casing for my "one bike to do it all" bike. zero flats, pinch or otherwise, over 2+ years. the sidewall support is great, i can run a little less pressure, and the weight penalty is approximately the same (or better) but with less installation hassle. i run alu rims, so if i happen to hit hard enough to dent (haven't for a long time) i can finesse it back to life. i don't ride as much as many people on here but when i do, i'm hack-tacular and finesse-less for sure!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the weight penalty is approximately the same (or better) but with less installation hassle
those may be true with cushcore, but not all inserts. the weight difference with rimpact is less than the difference between an exo+ and DD (for same size minion dhf, 29x2.5). and honestly in my experience with rimpact its no harder to install, and in certain instances its actually easier.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i'm with you - i'm sold on the ease and benefits of double down casing for my "one bike to do it all" bike. zero flats, pinch or otherwise, over 2+ years. the sidewall support is great, i can run a little less pressure, and the weight penalty is approximately the same (or better) but with less installation hassle. i run alu rims, so if i happen to hit hard enough to dent (haven't for a long time) i can finesse it back to life. i don't ride as much as many people on here but when i do, i'm hack-tacular and finesse-less for sure!
Beyond the installation con, I ripped my tire open a few months ago and having to pack out the insert was a mess. I was already frustrated getting the tire off the rim trailside, so I sliced that fucker up into chunks and stuffed it into my backpack (the insert was already sliced and chunked itself).

I'm now back to no insert and am just keeping a closer eye on the tire pressure....mostly

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I did a race in where quite a few competitors opted for CushCore and Exo casing tyres, while others opted for DD or DH casing without the inserts. One of the days had several scree slope crossings or descents made of shale and the thinner sidewall tyres were getting slashed quite badly, with several riders trying to repair sidewall cuts. I don't think an insert is a suitable replacement for a decent sidewall at all, rather a supplementary product that adds another type of protection.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I don't think an insert is a suitable replacement for a decent sidewall at all, rather a supplementary product that adds another type of protection.
Agreed! Thick casings to prevent sidewall cuts; inserts to prevent pinchflats and dented rims.

Last edited:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I picked up a pair of Tannus tubeless inserts. I'm currently running cushcore in the rear wheels of two bikes. The idea was to install the Tannus inserts in both wheels of the trail bike and the cushcore in both wheels of the DH bike. I think I've become pretty good at installing and removing tires with cushcore.

I'm sure once you install/remove tires with Tannus inserts you'll get better, but right now for installing instructions, Tannus should just post a link to Cushcore installation instructions. Tannus' instructions are stupid.

Last edited:

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I picked up a pair of Tannus tubeless inserts. I'm currently running cushcore in the rear wheels of two bikes. The idea was to install the Tannus inserts in both wheels of the trail bike and the cushcore in both wheels of the DH bike. I think I've become pretty good at installing and removing tires with cushcore.

I'm sure once you install/remove tires with Tannus inserts you'll get better, but right now for installing instructions, Tannus should just post a link to Cushcore installation instructions. Tannus' instructions are stupid.
Interested in your comparison. Apparently its harder to fuck up you rim tape with the Tannus, and its a little lighter. Everything else is the same. Including installation.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
That first installation video with that kid in the desert is BS. That insert was perfectly round. They come all folded and crumpled in a box. Mine did not go in like a tube.

The second installation video I found by Tannus seemed more reasonable but the rim they were using looked SUPER wide. Maybe because of my rim and tire combo (carbon rim and Maxxis 2.5 tire), but it was painful.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
All this talk reminds me about that time I spent >$100 on the V1 Tannus inserts and then got many pinch flats. Good luck you brave souls.....