Quantcast

Tire Inserts

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Ill
rode them at the trans Savoie when that was still a thing. Lotsa french alp DH tracks and backcountry shit goat trails, and they failed me 2x on that trip. I tore them out on the 2nd to last day. I guess 30$ isn't bad. I spent 200$ on them and was pissed, still am!

Also had the flat tire defender and pinched the tire on those as well. Pretty sure i had to cut the tire off to get those off the rims when that happened,..... I have gone thru a lot of inserts. So far CC xc has been the winner for me.
Ill Take a look at cush and start off with procore for cost...

Where did you find it for $30...I found it $50

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Given my experience at how much harder it is to seat DD over EXO, seating a DH casing with an insert sounds like a special kind of hell.
Seems to be heading that way.

Going to try attempt #3 shortly, I need to keep the second bead from popping out. Otherwise not a chance of getting it all to fit...

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
Seems to be heading that way.

Going to try attempt #3 shortly, I need to keep the second bead from popping out. Otherwise not a chance of getting it all to fit...
That was the problem I kept having. Once I laid the wheel flat and kneeled on the part of the tire that was already in the center channel until I got to the last bit, I finally got the tire on.

To be fair, that was EXO+ casing…

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
The problem I have is I unseat one bead so I can put the tannus into the rim, but as I'm working it in, the "sealed" bead is popping out too. Then I've no where near enough space to squash everything in.

Solved the problem though. But I'm not sure how durable the tannus will be as a tyre.

20210601_163311_resized.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Victory.
Aired up and waiting to see if I fucked up the tubeless tape before I add sealant.

Had to use a towel over a 5 gallon bucket for supporting the wheel.
Wrestle everything in to place.
Then with the last 10" of tyre bead to get in to place I had to use my knees and hands to push the tyre bead in to the rim bed to give the required slack. Then I got my wife to use the tyre lever to get the last section of tyre in to the rim as I held the rest of the bead in the rim bed.

No effing way will I ever use any of these current inserts on my trail bike.

It wouldn't surprise me if I've pushed the dish of the wheel out of centre...

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
45193-01-1000.jpg

3 of these can get most of your tire into the drop center.

I use them to make installing dert beik teirz with a tubeless setup that gives similar installation issues to these inserts.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
The problem I have is I unseat one bead so I can put the tannus into the rim, but as I'm working it in, the "sealed" bead is popping out too. Then I've no where near enough space to squash everything in.

Solved the problem though. But I'm not sure how durable the tannus will be as a tyre.

View attachment 160827
I just followed the Cushcore installation method for the Tannus insert. I found them to be more of a pain in the ass.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Victory.
Aired up and waiting to see if I fucked up the tubeless tape before I add sealant.

Had to use a towel over a 5 gallon bucket for supporting the wheel.
Wrestle everything in to place.
Then with the last 10" of tyre bead to get in to place I had to use my knees and hands to push the tyre bead in to the rim bed to give the required slack. Then I got my wife to use the tyre lever to get the last section of tyre in to the rim as I held the rest of the bead in the rim bed.

No effing way will I ever use any of these current inserts on my trail bike.

It wouldn't surprise me if I've pushed the dish of the wheel out of centre...
Well after reading your trials and tribulations, CONGRATS!!!lol
Look forward to hearing your input and see if it was worth the battle...
Looks like I should be doing this next week ..I'll look at the other stuff but settled on procore for now . Price weight and schwalbe been good to me for years ...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
For the tannus installation, I took one tip from cushcore videos, which is once one bead is seated, to sort grab the insert and the casing together and roll them back, and then sort of tuck the bead into the rim channel with your fingers. You go around the whole wheel doing this. It helps get everything into the proper position to seat more easily.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
For the tannus installation, I took one tip from cushcore videos, which is once one bead is seated, to sort grab the insert and the casing together and roll them back, and then sort of tuck the bead into the rim channel with your fingers. You go around the whole wheel doing this. It helps get everything into the proper position to seat more easily.
I'm going to try this first with the Tannus. With Cushcore a pick up and roll motion with you fingers toward you sets the tire bead in the channel.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
*Something else I did to aid my tannus woes. My prior photo was a joke where I mounted just the tannus - but leaving it a while helped it take a round shape versus the square you get when you take it out the box.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
*Something else I did to aid my tannus woes. My prior photo was a joke where I mounted just the tannus - but leaving it a while helped it take a round shape versus the square you get when you take it out the box.
i have done this with both my rimpact inserts and cushcore.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Wheel held air overnight \o/

Stans juice to be added, then I just hope the wheel is still dished correctly...

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Never thougth I would even think 'bout using inserts. Buuuut we moved from the land of 20 psi redwood mulch trails to rocky Colorado and got my first double flat in years on ride #1! :eek:
Killer trails though. :rockout:

Giving some Cush Core XC a try after reading this, looks like I'm in for some fun.....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
^^ HaHa Sucker! ;) Welcome to CO...? Don't make too much of a fuss about our rocks, cuz everyone knows in this forum that there's no more rocks than east coast rocks!

Other things I've done to help ease tire insert insertion:

1) Follow the instructions carefully. Technique is everything. I've even bought a new trash can just for tire insert installation. Anal? Yes! But it works extremely well. Plus I've found you can hide your Canadian Whisky from your wife in said trash can.
2) Warm up the tires in the sun for a bit. (not just for tire insert installation, but general tire installation too). If you haven't, let the tires "unfold" and get their kinks out from their packaging.
3) Install tires on just the rim, no sealant, inflate to max PSI over night or 2. This helps stretch out the bead.
4) Use plenty of soapy water for lube. This applies to many things, but for tires, it def helps :)
5) Check, re-check and then verify you have the tire going the right direction. Nothing worse than to spend all that time and energy only to find your DHF is going backwards. And yes, you will feel that a backwards DHF on your front sucks on the trail.
6) If using new or replacing rim tape, placing a tube, then mounting the tire and inflating for over night helps set the tape. This tip is money IMO. I shouldn't have to remind you to thoroughly clean with alcohol (not Can Whisky) the rim before applying new tape, right?
7) After a new tire change, check and clean your removable valve stems. Sealant will get caught in there making inflation and holding air more difficult.

Feel free to add your own tips/tricks...

As for Canadian Whisky - Pendleton FTW :)

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Thanks! I have done Tubliss on the moto, seems like a lot of the same technique and frustration.

Loving CO so far, but not being much of a hard liquor drinker, I was kind of bummed the first few weeks here. Well stocked liquor stores are everywhere, but not much in the way of high end beer selection.

Then I hit the Liquor World motherlode....this is just the "made in CO" section! :eek:
Should help with the install process.

0529211546.jpg

Attachments

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My kid was pretty into it, we were riding bike parks all over the place. But last September he broke his arm, and he ate shit in Perú. He is over it for the foreseeable future. But at least we didn’t buy him passes for Targhee and JH , or the new bike I was planning on getting.

Good job with passing on some stoke!

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
hey @Redwood Mulch Chucker - anything on the front end of this bike look familiar? :D
View attachment 160906
Them thar be some mighty fine lowers that boy got!

Stoked your son is getting into riding. My oldest is 13 and going full bore with mtn bikes. Now that we are 30 minutes from Purgatory, he has been bugging me to get the DHR setup for him. Anyone got a 300# spring laying around? :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Wheel held air overnight \o/

Stans juice to be added, then I just hope the wheel is still dished correctly...
Still holding .? Curious to see how it pans out ..

Going to do mine next week if I stop with all the honey do list...just want to expect unexpected ..I am hoping yours kicks @$$ and is flawless btw...been a pain in the butt and want to see it be worth it...

Let me know how it rides and handles...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Them thar be some mighty fine lowers that boy got!

Stoked your son is getting into riding. My oldest is 13 and going full bore with mtn bikes. Now that we are 30 minutes from Purgatory, he has been bugging me to get the DHR setup for him. Anyone got a 300# spring laying around? :D
Going to mullet this shortly for him
Yeahah crazy how they progress mines 13...just finished a new build for him..amazing how they just progress
20210411_172837.jpg

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Still holding .? Curious to see how it pans out ..

Going to do mine next week if I stop with all the honey do list...just want to expect unexpected ..I am hoping yours kicks @$$ and is flawless btw...been a pain in the butt and want to see it be worth it...

Let me know how it rides and handles...
Still holding, won't know how it rides until late next week, but it's also on a brand new bike I've only got 4 runs on so far :)

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
In and done!

0707211210_HDR.jpg

0710211140.jpg

Went on easy, didn't even need levers. Maybe the drop centers in the WeAre1 Union rims are deep? No lumps or hops, nice and round.

Just to add to the info here;

1) Install inserts on wheels, let them sit for a day or two (some heat, either sun or hair dryer, helps to get the kinks out and make it round again). Install tires (if new) on wheels with tubes and air up to 40 psi for a day or so.

2) Let the wheels sit in the sun or somewhere warm for an hour or so before starting install.

3) Unseat just one side of the bead, remove tube, install tubeless valve stem. Install insert; push the first lip all the way into the drop center, then do the same for the second lip using two hands moving away from each other. Make sure it's pushed all the way into the drop center. It helps to have the wheel horizontal.

4) Seat tire bead starting opposite of valve stem, work each side evenly towards valve stem. Use your palm to push and roll it under the insert. When 2/3rds of it's inserted, make sure the side opposite of valve stem is fully in the drop center of the rim. Pour some sealant in before fully seating.

Aired up no problem, zero leaking or spooging. Cleaner than a straight tubeless install.

Stoked to try them out! The wheels appear to be killer so far; went with some built by Daves Wheels. Turnaround was super fast, at my house less than a week from ordering. WeAre1 factory built is 6 weeks out....
I9 1-1 hubs, WeAre1 Union rims, Sapim 14/17 spokes with a mixed cross pattern. 3X on rear drive side and front disk side, 2X on the other sides. Build quality so far looks to be top notch.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
^I see you chose EXO+ tires. What do you prefer about this setup compared to running Double Down or DH tires without inserts? I get adding an insert when you're already on the thickest casing and still hitting the rear rim, but I haven't heard the argument for using inserts with lighter tires instead of burly tires.
After a day of bashing rocks at Keystone with a rear DH tire at 29psi I'm considering adding an insert for more peace of mind and maybe be able to drop to 27-28psi.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Mostly due to the fact that is all I could find! The front is also Maxx grip, would have preferred the harder compound as this is not for a DH bike. DD casing alone would be lighter (?), but I bet EXO+ with tannus inserts is lighter than the DH casing.

I also think the insert will allow for lower pressures, but with keeping more sidewall support and rock smashing protection. The rocks around here are either imbedded or loose, but not sharp. I don't think sidewall slashing will be too much of an issue.

This is the first insert I have used. Didn't ever have the need in Santa Cruz, but locally here in Colorado almost everyone uses them (or runs 30 psi). I was used to 20-22psi levels of grip, hopefully I can get that back now without flatting.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Tannus attempt #1,2 - failure

• Unseated one bead on the near new Magic Mary and removed the Stans juice
  • Attempt to fit the tannus into the rim
  • Second bead on the MM unseated itself
  • Get the first tannus bean into the rim
  • NFW is there now enough space in the rim bed to be able to get the second tyre and tannus beads in there
  • Remove the tannus
  • Pump the MM back up tubeless to seat the beads
  • Deflate, remove one bead
  • Attempt to fit the tannus into the rim
  • Second bead on the MM unseats
  • MF
edit: DT 560 rim, 27.5x2.4 MM DH
I put a new Minion 2.5" WT DH casing on to DT 481 yesterday with Tannus and it was really easy, went in dry and it aired up fine.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Installed a set of 29er Rimpact Pros last week. Install only took a few minutes each with DD tires so I don't know what all the griping is about. But I'm also maybe numbed by doing bib mousse installs with really stiff desert moto tires...

Performance at the bike park was very positive. Running my rocky XC trail pressures and things are nice and stable. To be honest it made me feel dumb(er) for not running these before at the bike parks.

22/25psi on a 170mm bike, 180lb rider. I don't know what that is in rocks or stones or whatever you Brits use.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I got this deal in my email this morning. Figured I would pass it along in case anyone ever wanted to try these and thought they were too expensive. All three wheel sizes in stock last I checked.

I used this thanks man

Procore 26" kit and 27.5" kit $96 shipped so why not.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I used this thanks man

Procore 26" kit and 27.5" kit $96 shipped so why not.
I was all over this until checkout. US addresses only.
Pricing in Canuckistan is stupid, for example here is a 26" for an astoundingly low price.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I was all over this until checkout. US addresses only.
Pricing in Canuckistan is stupid, for example here is a 26" for an astoundingly low price.
Can you have it ordered in US and have it delivered to one of us and reshipped...or if your in Vancouver have it shipped to Ferndale drive across and grab it

2 of my buddies just ordered em as well...hell I might order again so I have spare parts...lol