Quantcast

Tire Issue

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Almost wiped out today. My back tire gave out and slid down a hill I was on. I think 26 x 1.96 are to small for the kind of riding I want to do. They are great for flat trail (trails to rails) type stuff and do fairly well on the street, but I think it's time to upgrade to a full out mountain bike tire. Right now I'm on the stock tires of my 2000 hardrock comp, they are Specialized Crossroad 26 X 1.96.

Opinions please?!?!

thank you

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
I like Kenda Nevegals for the rear tire.Not bad in mud, and OK on hardpack with the sticky rubber. Maybe like the DTC 2.1 610grams. not to heavy, and DTC so it lasts longer for you. Search for good deals. I think you can't go wrong with these.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If you are riding really rocky conditions a 2.1 probably isn't going to give you all the traction you need. You also have to take in that some frames, in the rear may not fit a 2.35 (I ran into this on a frame). So you have to pick and choose you're tires.

Both Maxxis/Kenda make tires in sizes ranging from 2.1 to 2.35. Some of the 2.35's you can get in DH casing or single ply (better if you have to ride to the trail head). Alot also depends on if you want a tacky rubber compound or a harder one. So lots to think about and decide.

If you could find a tire you liked in 2.25 for the front and 2.1 for the rear that'd be a upgrade over what you currently have. I like running 2.25's if I can find one I like. A good combo from say Maxxis for tires would be to go with a Larsen TT up front and something like a high roller rear OR a Minion R for rear. You could always do a Minion F & R specific combo. That's for a 2.35 size. I currently run 2.35 Ignitor's and they are a so-so combo. Not bad but nothing like running a smaller DH designed tire.

Just try some different combo's out. A 2.35 up front will feel funny pushing up a trail, but you get the reward of traction comming down. The Larsen TT has nice ramped knobs so it rolls pretty fast too. Out back you want something that will roll decent, but grab when you want traction. High Rollers are excellent for rear tires.

Again, that's just an example. Figure out what size you want and shop around. Lots and lots of tires in that 2.1-2.3 range to pick from.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The Crossroads is a "hybrid tire", which in this case means it has some small side knobs, but the thick center ridge is designed to roll well on pavement. But what makes it a good pavement tire makes it a poor dirt tire.

A good rear tire will have more widely spaced knobs to dig into the dirt and increase traction. The Crossroads' knobs are too close together to allow that.

In comparison, the Roll X is a decent rear tire. Notice the knobs are more widely spaced as well being smaller so it can dig in easier?

Width is another factor, but less important than you think. I have been using a WTB Motoraptor 2.24, which is relatively narrow, and I am thinking about switching to a Kenda Blue Groove 2.1.

Tire pressure is more important than width. If you are running over 40psi, the tire will lose traction because it won't flex as much with lower pressure, particularily if you are under 130lbs. I would try running between 35-40 psi.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
Get to your LBS and ask what everybody else is runnin for tires. If a lot of people are running one kind of tire, there must be a reason.

Here in New England, Kenda Nevegals, 2.35, Stick-E seems to be the tire of choice for most riders. I run a set on one of my bikes, and Panaracer Fire FR 2.4 on another bike.

Panaracer Fire XC's are also a good choice for this area.

Mastamind

Chimp
Jun 7, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Quo,

I was at my local shop, and they totally gave me the disinterested, inless we can work on your bike run around. I posted a thread about it in the beginners forum. Anyway I have been looking at Maxxis, Kenda, Specialized, and one more...i forget the name. I'm sure at some point I'm gonna post links, asking for opinions.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Mastamind said:
Quo,

I was at my local shop, and they totally gave me the disinterested, inless we can work on your bike run around. I posted a thread about it in the beginners forum. Anyway I have been looking at Maxxis, Kenda, Specialized, and one more...i forget the name. I'm sure at some point I'm gonna post links, asking for opinions.
Kenda's and Arrow's (I wouldn't recommend these as a 'lighter' option.....) are great tires. I ran the Kenda Nevegal Stick-E's on my DH bike for a couple runs and they felt awesome. I run Arrow's slow react compound for just general shuttle runs and what not. I also ran some slimmer Arrows on my previous trail bike, but then again, I'm not concerned about weight unless I'm on my race run....

Definitely check out what other riders in your area are on. I really helped me out up here in the PNW.:clue:

maxxis swampthing 26x2.35 - great tire
also if you can find an older model of michelins' DH24 (which back then i guess was either called the service course or the transalp [correct me if im wrong]) those are also great tires in 26x2.0
the michelin lasted me a few years and still has around 50%tread, but it was also only my front tire so there is a little less wear and tear on it

maxxis swampthing doesnt die quick either but it does wear down significantly if you ride it alot(obviously)

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
On my xc bike I run Kenda Nevegal 1.95's. Kenda tires are big for their stated size, so it's probably bigger than what you have now. It's dual compound, light, and very grippy. I've been very happy with them. A good all around tire.

Another tire that is awesome on hardpack is the Kenda Small Block 8.
It's a new tire, doesn't work well in gravely or sandy terrain, but they roll insanely fast and are very light.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
For the money those Panaracer fire xc's are hard to beat. They work pretty darn well all around. Not as good as others, but compared to what your used to, they will blow your mind.