Quantcast

Tire pressure: Which instrument do you believe?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
OK, here is the 18 years of experience of a master technician, and a part designer from Goodyear tire... Aka... me. These are facts for you to have if you believe them or not that's on you

Tpms systems are designed more to let you know sudden changes, not accurate pressure readings and are quite high maintenance. They are also a wireless system that is greatly effected by radio interference, the idea is good but marginal at best.
Nothing beats a quality guage. I use a 30 dollar digital guage from Marco for simple checks, while my inflator is also digital it was almost 200. These were the toolf of the trade I used to make money and based my lively hood and reputation on.

Now on the topic of nitrogen. First off systems using liquid will give you a 99% concentration of nitrogen. Generators will give you at best 97%, I have run these tests myself many many times.
Using dry nitrogen in tires was likely the best thought ever. You may argue this but testing done from ALL tire manufactures and auto manufacturers have the same results. There is a reason aviation uses nitrogen for pneumatic tires. I will just list these benefits.
Higher consistent on pressure
Better sealing
Stops corrosion
Longer life for the "rubber"
Less pressure change from elevation and temperature
Tpms systems work better and last longer
Less tire wear, yes it's true.

I as a professional used to discard these ideas until years of testing and seeing the results myself proved it. My motorcycle with spoked/tubed tires has held pressure for four years now and has lost only two psi.
With no moisture and no oxygen inside the assembly you have no corrosion, those of you with the European imports will appreciate this and understand the corrosion issue. Those who have had to deal with issues with tpms systems will also appreciate this.
One such test we conducted was on a truck with hi volume tires, set pressures at sea level, back tires with compressed air, front with nitrogen. Drove to onyx summit near big bear at 8800 feet. Fronts less than .25% variance, backs 10psi difference. That equals tire wear. Same vehicle, all four set with nitrogen at 115 degrees, then left in a controlled environment with a cold soak at 0 degrees.... 2psi difference.
While different volume tires had differe results with compressed air, all sizes had the same results with nitrogen.

Bottom line, get quality guage, and nitrogen is money well spent.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
With all that said I should also mention. Nitrogen is the largest inert molecule in our atmosphere, it's completely inert, and does not harm the environment at all and is readily available. If you do happen to need a top off and it is not available there is no harm in using regular compressed air.

Even if you disagree/do not believe the pressure results all of the other benefits make it worth the cost.
Most places will only charge for the initial service and maintenance is free. Hell most places will even re do the service should you end up using compressed air for some reason.

Take all that as you will, not looking for any type of arguement or scientific debate over the Internet, but I will say.... You cannot deny proven results.

OK, here is the 18 years of experience of a master technician, and a part designer from Goodyear tire... Aka... me. These are facts for you to have if you believe them or not that's on you

Tpms systems are designed more to let you know sudden changes, not accurate pressure readings and are quite high maintenance. They are also a wireless system that is greatly effected by radio interference, the idea is good but marginal at best.
Nothing beats a quality guage. I use a 30 dollar digital guage from Marco for simple checks, while my inflator is also digital it was almost 200. These were the toolf of the trade I used to make money and based my lively hood and reputation on.

Now on the topic of nitrogen. First off systems using liquid will give you a 99% concentration of nitrogen. Generators will give you at best 97%, I have run these tests myself many many times.
Using dry nitrogen in tires was likely the best thought ever. You may argue this but testing done from ALL tire manufactures and auto manufacturers have the same results. There is a reason aviation uses nitrogen for pneumatic tires. I will just list these benefits.
Higher consistent on pressure
Better sealing
Stops corrosion
Longer life for the "rubber"
Less pressure change from elevation and temperature
Tpms systems work better and last longer
Less tire wear, yes it's true.

I as a professional used to discard these ideas until years of testing and seeing the results myself proved it. My motorcycle with spoked/tubed tires has held pressure for four years now and has lost only two psi.
With no moisture and no oxygen inside the assembly you have no corrosion, those of you with the European imports will appreciate this and understand the corrosion issue. Those who have had to deal with issues with tpms systems will also appreciate this.
One such test we conducted was on a truck with hi volume tires, set pressures at sea level, back tires with compressed air, front with nitrogen. Drove to onyx summit near big bear at 8800 feet. Fronts less than .25% variance, backs 10psi difference. That equals tire wear. Same vehicle, all four set with nitrogen at 115 degrees, then left in a controlled environment with a cold soak at 0 degrees.... 2psi difference.
While different volume tires had differe results with compressed air, all sizes had the same results with nitrogen.

Bottom line, get quality guage, and nitrogen is money well spent.
Marco or Matco?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
With all that said I should also mention. Nitrogen is the largest inert molecule in our atmosphere, it's completely inert, and does not harm the environment at all and is readily available. If you do happen to need a top off and it is not available there is no harm in using regular compressed air.

Even if you disagree/do not believe the pressure results all of the other benefits make it worth the cost.
Most places will only charge for the initial service and maintenance is free. Hell most places will even re do the service should you end up using compressed air for some reason.

Take all that as you will, not looking for any type of arguement or scientific debate over the Internet, but I will say.... You cannot deny proven results.
Nitrogen gas is not inert. Just the fact that it exists as a molecule of N2 shows that.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yes, it is. The nitrogen being used is not n2 it's just a single N as recognized on the periodic table. That is part of the mis conception here
Inert gasses are also known as noble gasses. They appear on the far right of the periodic table. They are inert because they have full electron shells. The first atomic electron shell can contain only two electrons, the second contains an additional 8. Helium and Neon have 2 and 10 electrons respectively. All the noble gasses have full electron shells and are therefor unable to electrically bond with any other atom and only exist as single atoms.

Nitrogen has 7 electrons, with an outer shell containing 5 of 8 possible electrons. This makes it rather reactive to other atoms. A single Nitrogen atom will always attempt to bond with another atom. Pure Nitrogen will bond with a single other nitrogen atom creating N2, the most stable and lowest energy form of pure nitrogen. If you somehow could isolate individual nitrogen atoms, if you pumped them into a tire they would spontaneously bond in a highly exothermic reaction creating N2 and a rather large explosion.

Actually, you can have individual nitrogen atoms if you heat it to the point where it enters the fourth state of matter, plasma. This will however melt your tires, and wheels.

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Inert gasses are also known as noble gasses. They appear on the far right of the periodic table. They are inert because they have full electron shells. The first atomic electron shell can contain only two electrons, the second contains an additional 8. Helium and Neon have 2 and 10 electrons respectively. All the noble gasses have full electron shells and are therefor unable to electrically bond with any other atom and only exist as single atoms.

Nitrogen has 7 electrons, with an outer shell containing 5 of 8 possible electrons. This makes it rather reactive to other atoms. A single Nitrogen atom will always attempt to bond with another atom. Pure Nitrogen will bond with a single other nitrogen atom creating N2, the most stable and lowest energy form of pure nitrogen. If you somehow could isolate individual nitrogen atoms, if you pumped them into a tire they would spontaneously bond in a highly exothermic reaction creating N2 and a rather large explosion.

Actually, you can have individual nitrogen atoms if you heat it to the point where it enters the fourth state of matter, plasma. This will however melt your tires, and wheels.
So it's not magnets ?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Because science, yes I know this...... Like I said to begin with... I am not here to debate or argue, I am passionate g on what I learned through 18 years of experience, and doing these tests myself and having been a big part of development of these uses.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2007/10/tires-nitrogen-air-loss-study/index.htm?loginMethod=auto

Consumer Reports wanted to find out if nitrogen is worth the price, so we purchased a Nitrogen Inflation System and checked out how well the inflation held up over a one year period. We evaluated pairs of 31 tire models of H- and V-speed rated, all-season tires used in our tread wear test from 2006. We filled one tire per model with air and the other with nitrogen. The test was quite simple: fill and set the inflation pressure at room temperature to 30 psi (pounds per square inch); set the tire outdoors for one year; and then recheck the inflation pressure at room temperature after a one year period.

The tires were filled and deflated three times with nitrogen to purge the air out of the tire cavity. We also used an oxygen analyzer to be sure we had 95-percent nitrogen purity in the tire--the claimed purity limit of our nitrogen system, which generates nitrogen gas from ambient air.

The test started on September 20, 2006 and the final measurements were taken on September 20, 2007. The results show nitrogen does reduce pressure loss over time, but the reduction is only a 1.3 psi difference from air-filled tires. The average loss of air-filled tires was just 3.5 psi from the initial 30 pressure setting. Nitrogen-filled tires lost an average of 2.2 psi from the initial 30 psi setting.
Trust in data.