Quantcast

Tire question for AM.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Hey guys/gals. Im looking for a new tire set up on my Tracer. Currently im on the Intense tires that came on it and they arent the worst tire ive used, but certainly not the best.
I prefer Maxxis, and I was looking for some suggestions on some fast rolling tires that will grip well to Granite and not slide all over the place over some roots.
Just toss up some suggestions id really appreciate it.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
I was looking at the ingnitor for a front tire and a Highroller in the rear, both XC.

mellow_sparky

Monkey
Aug 21, 2009
Washington State
I use the Ignitor in the summer - grippy fast rolling tire. However it's not great in wet, goopy conditions. For that I use either the HighRoller or Nevegal (but those don't roll near as fast as the Ignitor).

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I'm running an Advantage front and Crossmark rear, both 2.25, and really like that setup. The sidewalls on the Crossmark are too thin for my riding, so I'm switching to an Ardent w/EXO sidewall next time.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Highrollers don't roll. They're great for a front tire, but not so much for a back tire unless you're riding DH. Conti mountain pro's are good front tires. I actually like running slicks or semi slicks on the back. Rippin turns with a tire like that makes it fun because you learn to get used to a little bit of drift.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm currently running an Intense XC tire on the front - the one with the burly side knobs and a maxxis advantage rear. i'm digging the combo. most of my riding is rocks roots n hardpack, tho i did a ride last weekend where there were some sandy dirt spots and they did well. could get nice and drifty without losing control.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
I'm currently running an Intense XC tire on the front - the one with the burly side knobs and a maxxis advantage rear. i'm digging the combo. most of my riding is rocks roots n hardpack, tho i did a ride last weekend where there were some sandy dirt spots and they did well. could get nice and drifty without losing control.

Intense 909's are a great tire for most everything, I ran them for years. Now I'm running a Minion front/ Eskar rear, probably will run a Kenda SB8 when the eskar wears out.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
WTB Weirwolf 2.55 LT

High volume allows low pressure but low knobs roll fast. They work really well in all conditions. Not the best in thick mud or leaves but grip rocks and wet roots (at low pressure) really well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Can someone educate me on the reason for using different tires between the front and back?
you want better cornering capabilities from your front tire, and a tire that hooks up well but with low rolling resistance in the back for good transfer of power for pedaling. at least that's what I want. depends on the trails you ride and your style of riding. personally, I like a front tire with bigger knobs that extend farther on the sides because i tend to lean the bike over a lot when I turn.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Can someone educate me on the reason for using different tires between the front and back?
for a bike that's going to spend a lot of time going uphill, i want a tire with low rolling resistance but can still hold an edge. the best rear tire of all time was the Maxxis bling bling, imo. Now, I try to find tires that resemble it and wear the center knobs down to the casing. the front tire is just want to act like a front tire.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
you want better cornering capabilities from your front tire, and a tire that hooks up well but with low rolling resistance in the back for good transfer of power for pedaling. at least that's what I want. depends on the trails you ride and your style of riding. personally, I like a front tire with bigger knobs that extend farther on the sides because i tend to lean the bike over a lot when I turn.
I'm with him. I like a good front tire that'll hook up when i turn. I turn like a downhiller, not a cross country rider. We tend to lean the bike in the turns instead of turning the handlebars and staying more upright.
The rear tire doesn't need as much traction. It'll pretty much follow the line of the front most of the time, with a little bit of help. Side knobs on the rear tire aren't as important to me. Last year i used a WTB graffiti UK for my rear tire. We get a lot of dusty trails out here. It worked fine 90% of the time. On really steep, dusty climbs it would spin out. But i wouldn't have made it up those climbs on a knobby tire anyway.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
for a bike that's going to spend a lot of time going uphill, i want a tire with low rolling resistance but can still hold an edge. the best rear tire of all time was the Maxxis bling bling, imo. Now, I try to find tires that resemble it and wear the center knobs down to the casing. the front tire is just want to act like a front tire.
bear in mind that you can always take a set of side cutters and strategically trim down the knobs (as opposed to waiting for them to wear down).

I'd recommend wearing a pair of work gloves when doing so to avoid/minimize blistering on your hands.

aanon

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
south oz
I was using 2.35 minions , single ply front 2 ply rear and liked that combo but wanted to get a faster rolling set that also make the bike feel a bit more lively.
I am now running f 2.35 ignitor and r 2.1 crossmark, both tubeless, and so far am pretty happy with them.

Aginato

Chimp
Dec 10, 2010
Belgium
Continental Rubber Queen 2.4 for good grip and "low" rolling resistance, switch out the front tire for a Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 in the front for more grip.

I don't like the Conti tubeless though, sidewalls are not as supple which results in less tire deformation under side load, which results in less grip in corners.