Quantcast

Tire question

FooserX

Chimp
Feb 20, 2009
Total newbie here...

I took my 29'er on my first real ride today and man...I was slipping and sliding all over the place. It was a gravel-dirt fireroad. Uphill was fine, downhill was just scary. Then I went to take a path offroad, and wiped out because the dirt was really fine. lol...I know I suck, but I was just wondering how much of my loss of traction can be due to my tires?

I don't know what they are off hand, stock from a 2008 Caffeine 29er. There are no knobs...it's pretty smooth tread. I guess I don't want to have to upgrade already since I just dropped 900 on this bike, but I don't want to have sucky traction either.

Do most of you guys have big tread on your tires? Any links to pics with good tread lines I should look into?

Thanks!

X

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
My favorite: The Maxxis Ardent (pictured) along with the Crossmark & Ignitor

CST has the Critter and the Cabalerro (Pictured and available soon) - good pricing too

and a long list of others I've never ridden.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I like 2.4 Continental Mountain Kings, they have excellent knobs for traction and grip.

Check your tire pressure, if its too high the bike will act as you described and not hook up good. Try 25-30 psi and see how it feels.