Quantcast

Tire Question

Komodo

Chimp
Jul 9, 2010
So right now I'm running WTB Moto Raptor tires...26 x 2.4... Well I wanted to go a little bigger on size...so i was wondering... would i be able to run size 26 x 2.7 tires?

Last edited:

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
Uhm...why would you want to do that???? I use to use a 2.7 on the front and then went to a 2.5...The LACK of rolling resistence and giroscopic weight on the 2.5 is nothing short of dramatic...2.7 is just too big...they are dirt cheap everywhere 'cause nobody buys them anymore...try a 2.5...2.7 is slooooooow....just sayin'....

Komodo

Chimp
Jul 9, 2010
Yeah i see where you're going.... but would i be able to fit a 2.7 tire on my rim you think?

Also I was wondering if you think i can set up a pair of dual crowns on my Jamis Komodo since the shocks i have now really kinda suck...(05 Marzocchi Drop Offs)

Could the frame handle it?

Thanks for all your help

Last edited:

freshwire

Monkey
May 24, 2007
Roanoke Virginia
The 2.7 would fit the rim...you would have to be careful with the clearance on the frame...the width of the chainstay sometimes won't allow that fat of a tire...but the rims shouldn't be an issue...what kind of rims are they???

Yeah, drop-offs are def entry level forks...looks like the 2010 Komodo has a 68.5 degree HT angle...yours is prolly similar...a dual crown would work fine on it...but...that is a freeride specific frame...and if you are doing lots of technical ladders, skinnies and all that "north shore" type stuff..you may just want to get a better single crown...as a dual crown is not designed for so much touchy...technical stuff...it is more for "monster trucking" over rocks and roots and stuff...but if you intend to do more DH type speed based stuff...the dual crown has more stability for that..but they can be kinda "clunk-y" and unresponsive for extremely technical, manmade freeride features...you might want to track down a single crown with big stantions...35 to 40mm...or you could get an older Marzo 888 rc2 for pretty cheap on ebay...that's a decent cheap dual crown

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
2.5 is really the best size. I have has 2.7's and I found that it's nice but 2.5's rock. I have been riding 2.5's for YEARS.

Komodo

Chimp
Jul 9, 2010
not sure the brand on the wheel is but the hub is formula..... i put tubes that fit from 2.4- 2.75 so i think it should fit right?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Bigger is not better in rubber land, that trend died years ago (why do you think you need bigger tires?). As a rule anything bigger than 2.5 is overkill and probably won't fit in your frame. Start by getting some more appropriate tires. Moto Raptors are a pretty decent rear tire but there are many better options up front.

In terms of forks, get a single crown with around 100mm of travel or the bike may end up feeling really weird. Your other option is to get something like a U-turn pike with adjustable travel from 95 to 140 that way you can get just the right feel. (a lyrik may also work if you are looking for more travel, 115 to160mm)

Komodo

Chimp
Jul 9, 2010
Alright then...i think ill go with the 2.5..only reason i said bout the 2.7 is cause one of my friend has them just laying around and he wants to sell them for a really good deal...but then i thought...the bike wont go as fast and so on...

i think ill look into the rockshox pike....they look pretty nice, if you guys have any other advice for anything please say

Thanks

Komodo

Chimp
Jul 9, 2010
hey i was just wondering... what are these things called and what do they do??? i see a lot of people have them except they have the rubber ball bearing wheel thing....i would like to get one too if they're good...please provide me with a link if possible
thanks

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 is about the same size as most companies 2.2 tires, so it's not that big. If you want a slightly bigger front tire that will grab a whole lot better than a MotoRaptor 2.4, I suggest trying a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 or a Panaracer Rampage 2.35.

As to the chainguide, don't go wanting one because it "looks badass" or whatever. They're needed if you constantly drop your chain. If you don't constantly drop your chain, save yourself the money, the installation, and the upkeep... and don't get one. The great majority of riders I have known who have used one have used one because they thought they looked badass and they have just added weight, drivetrain drag, and maintenance hassles -- and haven't gained any advantage. I've run them myself when I had chain-drop problems and I still prefer going without one 90% of the time.

The suggestion to try a RockShox Pike U-turn is a great suggestion. They are very good, dependable forks -- much better than your Marzocchi Drop-Off.

Last edited:

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
is this setup for a single chainring or for 2?

Pic:
Depends on which model. MRP makes them for single and dual ring setups, as does E13, as does Gamut.

I have used the E13 DRS 2-ring guide and it works fine. I have used the Gamut P20 single-ring guide and it works fine.

The Blackspire Dewlie 2-ring guide from 2003-2004 era didn't work too well though.

Komodo

Chimp
Jul 9, 2010
WTB MotoRaptor 2.4 is about the same size as most companies 2.2 tires, so it's not that big. If you want a slightly bigger front tire that will grab a whole lot better than a MotoRaptor 2.4, I suggest trying a Kenda Nevegal 2.35 or a Panaracer Rampage 2.35.

How is that? Factories make the tires bigger then what it says? Or do you read the 55/60 thing next to the size in inches?

How do i know if some 2.4 tires are bigger than moto rapto

Just curious for when i get new tires

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
How is that? Factories make the tires bigger then what it says? Or do you read the 55/60 thing next to the size in inches?

How do i know if some 2.4 tires are bigger than moto rapto

Just curious for when i get new tires
There are no uniform standards on how a mfr sizes its tires for sales purposes.

For example, Continental is famous for very under-sized tires, its 2.3 tires are narrower than many 2.0 tires by other makers, and they are lower-profile too. In other words, they're a very very small 2.3.

Kenda's tires tend to be pretty big... or some may say, true-sized.

Maxxis tires tend to be smaller. I remember a 2.5 Kenda Nevegal being wider than a 2.7 Maxxis Minion. However, Maxxis is changing that with their newer designs, making them more true-sized. The Maxxis Ardent is very true-sized.

Komodo

Chimp
Jul 9, 2010
Alrighty,

so I recently bought a blackspire stinger new 05 mount...I noticed that after I mounted it on to my frame, it only works in 2nd gear and that in first it just goes besides it and scrapes the stinger....why is this???....

isn't this setup for dual rings??

I have right now the blacksprie with :

22t and 32t

Race face xc cranks

and E13 supercharger bash guard....

All help is appreciated

Komodo

Chimp
Jul 9, 2010
here are some pictures.....(tried to show the issue)

I removed the cranks so I can adjust the Stinger.....wasn't sure how high or low or how much to angle the roller.....so right now the cranks are just put temporarily for the pictures

You can see which pictures are in the granny ring and which are in the middle ring

Here is the Stinger by itself

Last edited: