Quantcast

Tire question...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
First off, let me declare my love for my Stan's/Michelin setup that I've been running for a year or so. Picked up a pair of 2.2" Comp24's last night at my LBS (see, Echo? Some of us support our LBS even if it is more expensive!). After much pain, 3 broken tire levers and a skinned knuckle, the previous tire coughed and came off. The new tire went on with no problems, and for giggles, I aired it up... with my hand pump. Decided I'd like some sealant for puncture protection, popped one bead, added sealant, and aired it up again.

No soap & water, no compressor, nothing. This is the way tubeless should be.

This leads me to a couple questions. First, can someone point me at a good quality, plastic tire lever online? My LBS carries these flimsy levers, and I murder about 3 per tire - and I'm not some hamfisted gorilla who typically breaks stuff. They're cheap, so not a big deal, but I'd like something a little better quality. I don't want any moto-inspired steel levers, though; the Stan's setup doesn't like 'em. Should I just suffer with the crappy ones?

Second, I'm thinking about clipping the front tire, just to change it up a little. I like the Comp24's and I'm wondering what the difference is when they're clipped. Can someone show me a picture of a clipped tire? Or tell me what knobs they've clipped to any success? Anyone have opinions on clipped vs. non-clipped Comp24's?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Acadian -

No, you don't understand. I have some cheap levers that came with a multi-tool and they're MUCH stronger plastic than the ones my LBS sells - I've taken off a couple tires with them without breaking. The problem is they're far too short and have sharp edges. The ones at my LBS are pretty much useless for taking off anything other than XC tires.

You have good experience with clipping 'em, then? I'm hesitant to take all those knobs off a brand new tire but I also have my irresistable urge to tinker and make stuff better. What do you clip them with?

I'll check out the Pedros & Park tire levers - thanks guys.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Okay, cool. I'll clip the front, probably tonight. The rear I planned to leave as-is. And special recommendations for a clipping device, besides scissors? Just curious if there's a random tool that worked well for the purpose.

The tire levers from my LBS are like removing a tire with a boiled egg noodle. Any pressure whatsoever and they simply bend - you can bend 'em with the tips of your fingers. It's pretty absurd.

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
second on the pedros levers! they are the stiffest plastic lever I've felt!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Castle
second on the pedrols levers! they are the stiffest plastic lever I've felt!
Hm.

Wish they came in a rounded tip. I don't really like square tipped levers. Maybe I'll go look around at some other LBS's and see if they sell some better, round tipped levers.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Echo
Man. Do I really harp on it that much? :eek: I's just funnin' :D
I'm just kidding.

And I'm only giving you a hard time because I agree with you.

Besides, I probably spent exactly as much as I would have online when you factor in shipping, 'cause I get the old "I spend a lot of money here so give me a better price you cranky old bastard" discount ;)

derekbob

Monkey
Sep 4, 2003
Chico
Originally posted by Acadian
Park ones are nice..
I use maxxis mobster 2.1s on rynolites, and they are a serious pain to (un)bead, The park levers are the only plastic levers that have lasted me