Quantcast

tire recomendations for windrock this weekend?

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
What do you guys think? Mud or dry tires? Going to be riding friday through sunday. Weather looks good, but maybe a little thawing?

My semi mud tire is a Swampthing
Dry tire is a minion/highroller.

Also anybody is welcome to shuttle with us. We have a dodge ram quad cab and it'd be great to have some extra drivers.

Thanks!

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
By the way, would anybody know what a fast lap time (cat 1 level) is down the main slickrock line from the half way drop off point? I'm thinking about the same trail used for the redbull night race. 4 min?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
By the way, would anybody know what a fast lap time (cat 1 level) is down the main slickrock line from the half way drop off point? I'm thinking about the same trail used for the redbull night race. 4 min?
the night race route was around 3:20-3:40 I think. Snakerock to old trail 1(go straight past the road gap) all the way down to the freeride zone and on out. I also believe the night times weren't that much slower than the daytime qualifying times, but that could easily have been stopwatch error

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
slickrock? You mean Snakerock?

A true mud tire is never a great idea at Windrock. Too many roots and rocks. The swampthing is a very good tire for this time of year up there.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
You can get away with it on a fresh, fresh track. But after a couple days so many rocks and roots surface they just don't work. Even cut spikes are a trade off. They do well in the dirt but can be scary on rocks.

I remember a race at Snowshoe in the rain. I ran muds and Moto ran dry tires. We finished in the same second. I figured I did well in the dirt and he did well on the rocks. There is always a trade off. But back to the point muds are never a good idea at Windrock.

ncrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2004
Los Angeles
Sounds like I should bring the minions and swampthings.

So, is anybody going to be there saturday? Looks like my shuttle partner/vehicle has backed out for saturday. But Sunday is still a go.

miragebass

Chimp
Oct 9, 2008
Was pretty darn dry last weekend. I wouldn't see any reason to bring the Swampthings. It will probably be damp in the morning if the ground freezes overnight like it did last Sunday, but by noon the trails were back to normal for the most part. Windmill was a little worse than the lower trails but for the most part was still not anywhere near what I would use a Swampthing for.

Keep in mind the leaves are down on the trails and I think you're gonna want your widest tire to guide you through the "unknown" lines you'll be rolling through.

1speedbrian

Chimp
Jan 20, 2009
Sounds like I should bring the minions and swampthings.

So, is anybody going to be there saturday? Looks like my shuttle partner/vehicle has backed out for saturday. But Sunday is still a go.
Im pretty likely to be out there Sunday.

laxman2001

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
...reviving an old thread.

so after being terrified the whole time at WR on a coiler, I bought a DH bike. (well technically its a demo 7, but it has a fox 40 and a different shock so 7.7 in the rear, so close enough).

The rear tire is definitely on its last legs, and the front doesn't have all that much left (both are minion dhf). What's a good front and rear tire for Windrock? I know Moto likes his big tires. Are those massive Michelin the way to go? Or another minion? Or something else entirely?

Gratzi!

P.S. SEE YOU IN 7 hours Moto!

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I've had good luck with intense 909's, but I also got them super cheap - I can only find them for around $50 now and at that price id rather go with minions. Just don't make the mistake i did and get OEM minions because they're single ply.