Quantcast

Tire Recommendations...

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I've narrowed my choices down to Kenda Nevegals and Specialized Captains... I'm riding Specialized Resolutions, I have noo confidence in these tires. Not a very good cornering tire. Any other recommendations?

(Note: Looking for and XC tire)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I can agree with DRB, but I would also narrow my opinions to people that ride our trails. What works well at Huntsville won't work well at BLORA or Cameron Park in most instances. The Captain has worked well in several places, but so has the Maxxis Ignitor.

MTBstud12

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Tejas
I can agree with DRB, but I would also narrow my opinions to people that ride our trails. What works well at Huntsville won't work well at BLORA or Cameron Park in most instances. The Captain has worked well in several places, but so has the Maxxis Ignitor.
Makes sense. The resolutions aren't too shabby in huntsville. Its probably 70% hardpack and 30% packed sand and rather rooty in areas. On that note, I felt like I would have been more comfortable racing sunday with another tire.. I'm Sure I'll end up with a couple sets of tire's due to the variation of where i ride in this "lovely" state. Which leads me to wonder if i should go tubeless.. Or just buy another wheel set? :happydance:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I use the Roll X Pros, which have a similiar side tread to the Captain, and I corner and pedal well on it.

I actually do not know why they got rid of the Roll X's. It was a great tire.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
It's more about the rubber than the tread pattern.
IMO, Maxxis and Michy make the best rubber. Maxxis advantage is a great all-around. Maxxis high roller is a great choice if you don't have any loose climbs.

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I've been running a Crossmark on the rear and it grips amazing well on the climbs for a low knob tire. Only thing is with the rocky terrain here I have burned through it in about a month and a half. I think I'll try an Ignitor next time around. I had been running Specialized tires but they seem to suffer from Stans-o-noma really bad lately and I'm tired (no pun intended) of popping blisters.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yep, find out what the locals are riding and go from there. It would be impossible for me (living in central NY) to recommend a tire to someone riding in different terrain/conditions.
Exactly. While looking at the tires listed thus far, I kept on saying, "nope - ripped the sidewall on weirwolves, nope - that tire clogegd with mud..."

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Yep, find out what the locals are riding and go from there. It would be impossible for me (living in central NY) to recommend a tire to someone riding in different terrain/conditions.
Exactly. There are about 25 people on RM that qualify for that. So far I am the only one that has given input. Our terrain varies greatly even within 30 miles of here.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Though how many people actually change tires to ride different trails around town?
Very true. I have 3 trails within 40 miles of me and ride 1 bike at both places and have different bikes for the other two. That is still just 2 bikes, but 1 or the other doesn't work well at the 2 most local trails. Partially tires, partially bike setup being a SS.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Though how many people actually change tires to ride different trails around town?
Not for different trails as the terrain around here is pretty consistent, but I do have spring tires, summer/fall tires, and winter tires. Same terrain, but VERY different conditions depending on time of year.

I'm kind of a tire nut though...

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Not for different trails as the terrain around here is pretty consistent, but I do have spring tires, summer/fall tires, and winter tires. Same terrain, but VERY different conditions depending on time of year.

I'm kind of a tire nut though...
Where I rode the same tires for a year and a half while riding everywhere from Santa Barbara, to Mammoth, to Moab, to Vermont, and back across the country to Colorado and Utah.

I really liked my Weirwolf 2.3s as a general trail tire, the Specialized Captain is serving me well, as is the Resolution (though it is not ideal on hardpack). Tire I'm most interested in right now is the Kenda Block 8. Heard great things about it from 2 different bike shops, sadly no one had it in a 29 when I was shopping for tires.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Funny enough, I just rode the Crossmarks and I hated them. Couldn't wait to switch to Weirwolfs.
I'd vote Bontrager Dry-Xs, but then again I'm a little biased... :)

Otherwise for the XC stuff back in NY I preferred the Advantage front, Crossmark rear for a good combination of fast-rolling and adequate traction, but I usually went for a more aggressive tire based on my riding characteristics. :happydance:

(the Weirwolfs were the worst tire I've ridden in years. the knobs were extremely flexy, and gave no indication that they were about to give way before I'd blow a corner and ended up in a cloud of dirt/dust.)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
:stupid: That being said, check out the Kenda Kharmas. I have a set for racing that have worked pretty well and might work well on your trails.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
For hardpack to semi loose, the Schwalbe Racing Ralph is very, very good. I also like the Michelin Dry IIs. They both do pretty well on gravel, and roll well on pavement as well.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction