Quantcast

Tire suggestions...

04sgsdh

Monkey
Sep 8, 2007
Hagerstown
Any suggestions for a good all-around DH tire. Mostly Shed and Wisp riding. I 'm running Maxxis HighRollers now 2.5f and 2.7r. These seem ok ,but running pretty close to the end of their life. Always up to try something different.

Bmac

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I used to run a highroller on the rear and it was pretty nice. I have also had really good luck with 2.5f and 2.5r nevegals. Dual 2.5s singly ply with dh tubes was my preferred setup up. Sometimes i would throw a 2.7 on the front if i was going to SS. Im currently trying out a set of continental diggas UST. they are pretty awesome so far, they really track on the roots and rocks and they cant be picked up right now for pretty cheap.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
B-Mac,

Go on pricepoint and look at what they have for Maxxis. I just picked up a good rear tire for a little over 30. Also picked up some new surprises for next time at the Shed. Its going to be crazy.

04sgsdh

Monkey
Sep 8, 2007
Hagerstown
me likeee surprises! i'll have to give them a check, they have the azonic frame i want pretty cheap too.
i was looking into the minion, the tread pattern looks a bit better than the high roller. i was looking for something w/ a bit more cornering grip. the minion may have a bit more.
any +/- to running a staggered set up? my rear is a 2.7 and the front is 2.5, not sure if it's helping or hurting.

B.

I run Maxxis tires, nothing but. I've seen so many sidewalls on other tires get ripped open by the rocks up here.

For DH: I change my tires up with the weather. Early season when it could be tacky or just downright wet I'll run a Minion F in the front and HighRoller in the back. When things dry out I run double (F/R) Minion Fronts. If it's really dry I throw on the HighRoller Semi Slick. I have been running 2.7 front and 2.5 rear. The 2.7 front helps because I wiegh about 190, and my V10 likes to go straight thru most rock gardens. I also run 60 duro. They seem to last all season. I have a couple Super Tacky's and one or two Slow Reazay's, I'll only use them if I ever decide to race again.

Hope this helps,

DK
C
F,MD

04sgsdh

Monkey
Sep 8, 2007
Hagerstown
Much appreciated! I guess since I'm only ~145 in full gear, I really don't need the larger tire in the front. I'll give some of those suggestions a shot, maybe mix and match a bit. I realized my High Rollers were 40a's....and I was wondering why they went away so quick. I guess the 60a is the happy medium?

Cheers!

Bernie