Quantcast

Tire system for an AM

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
Hi there,

Well, i´ve been using 2 ply Maxxis w/ home made no tubes for last years (5?) on my AM and DH bikes. Less than a flat per year, but...

Now i'm trying to lighten my AM ('06 spz Enduro w/ mrz 55ATA), and thought about to use single ply Maxxis with XC tubes and slime, or single ply w/ home made no tubes. Will not consider USTs.

What's your experience on that? I really forgot when i used XC tubes or single ply tires, and am a little lost about weights involved.

I ride true AM on that bike. I do matter weight for uphills, and go down as fast as possible w/o a full face helmet. Keep on mind some thorns and rocks.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
personally i would run a 2.5 / 2.3 nevegal single ply for AM, they are pretty damn light, i actually ride dh on the 2.5's and deal with a flat now and then because i hate big heavy tires...

The nevegal is a great setup for all around.

Bati

Monkey
May 8, 2003
Santiago - Chile
personally i would run a 2.5 / 2.3 nevegal single ply for AM, they are pretty damn light, i actually ride dh on the 2.5's and deal with a flat now and then because i hate big heavy tires...

The nevegal is a great setup for all around.
Hmmm, but Kendas are a lot bigger than Maxxis for the same size. I could consider 2.1 Nevegals too, which are equivalent to a High Roller 2.35.

BALOG

Chimp
Mar 3, 2004
My boss rides 2.1 Nevegals on his Banshee Wildcard, as an all around bike.

For more agressive riding I would consider 2.3 or even 2.1 on the rear for a faster ride. The 2.5´s are too big even for some downhill courses.

Tjaard

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
Minneapolis
Nevegals are a popular choice for all around tread pattern, but the single-ply versions are not know to be very tough. Also Maxxis says not to use any sealant in the tires to run them tubeless.
For 2008 Specialized offers the Eskar and the Chunder in a single-ply stronger casing with tubeless bead, so you can use them tubless with sealant if you like. Or if you need more protection the Eskars come in a Armadillo version, which is their superb puncture protection. http://www.leelikesbikes.com/two-rides-specialized-eskar-armadillo-elite-23-tires.html