Quantcast

Tire Testing Standard

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
You know what pisses me off. Tires and comparing between brands, like I get that an Assegi DD has more grip and rolling resistance than a DHRII EXO, but how do those stack up against a Magic Marry Soft or a Vigilante Tuff/Handling? I think we need an ASTM standard for testing mount bike tires. Rolling resistance, braking an accelerating traction and leaned in cornering grip. How would right such a testing standard. We need a methodology, a control tire, the actual testing apparatus. Being for off road use makes this all more difficult because I dont think a normal friction drum like these tests are done on road going tires would make for an accurate representation of trail conditions. Would we have to do the tests in 2-3 types of soil? Like hardpack, mud, and loose over hard? Just like car tire for treadwear the numbers are reported as an extrapolated amount based off of performance vs the control tire. Like say we call our control tire a 5 at everything, a tire that has half the rolling resistance and 50% better braking traction would be reported as having a rolling resistance of 2.5 and a braking traction of 7.5. Or a tire with 10% more rolling resistance and twice the tration would get a 5.5 and a 10. Doing it like this rather than a letter rating like car tire traction or as an out of 10 system like some manufacturers already do within their own line gives us future growth potential.

For rolling resistance and traction both ways I think it should be a fairly simper apparatus. Just a rigid fork, with mounts for weights to get the total weight less tire to 85kg, a very strong wheel, 203mm brake with brake pressure sensor and probably an electrically driven master, mounted to the front of a 4 powered wheeled cart/vehicle with computer controlled speed with a pivot to allow only up and down motion with a force sensor in between. The tire will first be mounted in the rotation direction recommended by the tire manufacturer, to a wheel of the manufacturers recommended width, tubeless tires mounted tubeless with a control sealant (probably stans), and tubed tires mounted with a manufacturer supplied tube. Tires inflated to some specified psi. Warmup runs will be performed until hub and braking components come up to a predetermined operating temperature. Rolling resistance test would be performed at a constant speed and the results compared against a control tire,a number of runs will be averaged for the force measured. The braking test will also be performed at the same time, it will mimic the constant speed of the rolling resistance test, however the braking pressure will be varied to achieve the maximum force into the testing apparatus, multiple runs will be averaged. The acceleration traction will be measured by mounting the tire in the oposite rotation direction and the testing performed the same as the braking test. If we determine multiple surfaces are necessary the same procedure will be repeated on those surfaces.

Now where that gets screwy is with the different wheel widths and diameters required to measure the different size tires, do we keep the same hub as the control tire and keep re-lacing the wheel for different rim widths? Or do we just assume that the same hub design, freshly lubricated and warmed to the same operating temperature is going to provide a negligible contribution to rolling resistance? And also assume that different rim designs also have a negligible effect on rolling resistance and braking traction.

I don't have a good idea yet for measuring lateral grip. For cars they just mount them up on a variety of "current model year" cars that the tires are likely to be used on and have a few test engineer drivers run them on the figure 8 skid pad and average their performance.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
you should email the ASTM. CC ISO while you're at it.
It would be easier to convince a smaller industry member (WTB, V-Rubber, the like) who might already be paying ASTM dues to propose this. Or if the testing is simple enough we could probably convince a large retailer to do the testing, like all the independent testing that tire rack does for car tires.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Getting the mock trail surface to behave in a consistent, repeatable way and actually represent a broad range of real world riding conditions is going to be basically impossible.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
There are standardized tests which do strongly control soil conditions. Some which require soil sourced from a particular area or of a certain composition, at a certain water content and certain compaction. Just not for tires.

The more I think about it the more I think it would require multiple different surfaces and an output of those numbers to be useful.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Or we could just buy a handful of the tires that are known to be good and choose between them based on track conditions and riding style. :)

All of us would be totally fine forever with 1-2 of the four quality Maxxis offerings.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I don't think it needs to be dirt. You could build a non-degrading/consistent test strip with some rocks, concrete and some of that rubber pellet stuff. Since all you're looking for is comparisons between tires it seems like that should do it.

Repeatability between agencies or locations would be a problem with different strips but let's be honest, all this is going to happen in Germany so just do it there.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Those rubber pellets is a really good idea. Honestly the bigger deal to me is the rolling resistance between brands. You can pick the grip based on how it rides for you and the trail conditions. But if a tire is completely off base resistance wise and you're pedaling why even test it. Like Magic Marry/Nobby Nic boh soft seem to have a lot less rolling resistance than WTB Ranger fast/light (practically a slick) or vigilante grip/light based on how much I have to brake when following my wife down straight non-bumpy sections that she isnt braking on.

I think with just rolling resistance and braking/traction probably only needs a single synthetic surface like that. 3/4 gravel + rubber pellets + some poly sand to give it some firmness in a trough might be a decent simulation.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I don't think it needs to be dirt. You could build a non-degrading/consistent test strip with some rocks, concrete and some of that rubber pellet stuff. Since all you're looking for is comparisons between tires it seems like that should do it.

Repeatability between agencies or locations would be a problem with different strips but let's be honest, all this is going to happen in Germany so just do it there.
Shouldn't the test strip be covered in dry Scheiße, then?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
like I get that an Assegi DD has more grip and rolling resistance than a DHRII EXO
It doesn't. Because of this I couldn't be bothered reading your post any further.

Plus we already have Woo's standards to go by.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I swear to fucking god, if someone can invent a tire compound that dog poo does not stick to, they'll have my money...
Remember those times when people sprayed bikes and mud tires with PAM to stop mud sticking to them? Maybe you should start a series of tests for dog poo? :D

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They sprayed their tyres?

I hope they left enough PAM for their braking surfaces.