Quantcast

Tire Wobble ?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hit a trail and afterwords noticed the tire has a pretty good up down and side hop to it. Rim looks straight.

It's a brand new tire...

I also have an insert in there. Could that get tossed to the side somehow and cause it?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
So I should poke it then?

Of course this shit happens the day before leaving on a week long bike trip. :rolleyes:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Bead is F-ed. Every once a while a new tire comes like this, or someone messes it up riding due to low pressure and rolling it off the tire or something similar. Also, the people that blow their tires off the rims when filling them (how?). I have one that I've had to take on and off about 20 times in the last few weeks because I've not been able to get rim tape to stick to the rim surface (fixed with bontrager strip). It's not quite straight anymore, even with lots of soap going on. Anything in the tire that is pinching it or rubbing tends to "trap" the tire as well and result in a "not straight tire", so things like tubes, I'd imagine tire inserts could work the same way. But if the bead is really F-ed, you can't run the tire safely anyway.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The insert was such a pain in the ass mounting the tire, that I think I'll just chance it and leave it.

I'm leaving in less than twelve hours, so if I screw it up more, itll be a bad start to trip.

Bringing a spare tire just incase....

I did take a few more laps of the bike park after it happened and purposely tried to force slide the tire into some turns. It didn't get any worse, but also not any better.

When I get to Saint Anne on Tuesday, maybe I'll take another look at it.

It's strange though. The tire was fine for its first trail ride on wednesday. Then for the first few runs this morning. I only noticed the lopsided tread while coasting back to the lift on pavement, where I could feel it. The little line right near the edge of the rim looks even all the way around the tire.

:banghead:

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
I’ve seen it a lot more recently, I think when production is accelerated it happens more often. Maxxis lately is making my warranty life harder but I sell more maxxis than anyone so it’s not surprising to see more I’ve had it with all the usual suspects.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The insert was such a pain in the ass mounting the tire, that I think I'll just chance it and leave it.

:banghead:
First time I put Cush Core in I almost cried then cracked out the metal tire levers and managed to load the beads up so much I permanently damaged both tires, I don't know why it needs to fit so tightly if it shrinks when you inflate the tire.

Second time fitting tires over Cush Core was pretty easy, one had a slight wobble but after deflating, manipulating and reinflating it was good.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
With cushcore inflate the tire without sealant or with CC, pop one bead off and then put in stretched or sun heated CC. You won’t fight the locked bead as much, there will be more space to push the 2nd bead under CC into the rim channel.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Rimpact, Raceface ARC rim and Minion DHR2 2.4 EXO WT 3C WTF etc.
original rimpact or the pro (dual density version)? there's certainly the possibility the insert has shifted, have you deflated the tire and squeezed around it to see if the insert had in fact shifted?

I have rimpact (original) installed on a set of Enve M70's, if anything it was easier to install the tire than without, but i recognize that may be based on that particular rim combo.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
I've had this issue with a few Maxxis tires, High Roller II if I recall correctly. Each time I sent them a picture of the tire and they send a replacement.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This tire was doomed from the start, I think. On the weekend it decided to off itself.

Think it's worth sending them a note for warranty?

Mounted up my spare skinny 2.35 DHR2 with a tube and despite the rim being pooched, the tire is pretty much straight, compared that blown one.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I'd give an email a go, I think I've got warranty returns that way from Maxxis before.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I get the same with either new or old Maxxis tires and Cushcore. I've tried deflating, rolling the wheel hoping the tire and insert with settle a bit but no-go. It's still a little wobbly. I've run it like this for a long time with no issues.