Quantcast

Tires and bars review...ish

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So I have been riding street and dirt on my new bars (NS Proof 3") and new tires (Intense MK2 2.25) for about 2 weeks now.

I went from Funn Fatboy 2" bars, and Holy Rollers, and holy crap the difference is insane. I shaved off 2lbs off my bike with the newer set up, bringing it to 26.8lbs, with most of the weight now in the center with heavy cranks.

I can spin much faster now with the decrease in weight in the tires. For some reason I felt more comfortable trying foot jams now. I boost higher out of my jumps, and tables and inverts feel effortless now. You'd never notice what a difference lighter tires/wheels make until you go from uber heavy to super light. They have only slipped once on the trails and that was on a particularly dusty landing, haven't slipped at the park yet, nor on street.

I was expecting the bars to make everything feel really strange and tall, but they don't. I used to start a manual and it would take a few seconds until I found my place to click it and stay there for a while, now I go right into that place. It does feel a bit weird looking down and seeing thin bars instead of 31.8's. They are still at the 28.5 they come in, but I might trim them down to 28 or 27.5.

Overall, if you are looking at lightening up your bike, and your tires are 700g+ get some MK2's. If you want a super light 3" riser... NS Proof. Though I don't think NS wants you riding them on rigid.

Pics of the finally dialed Eastern Betty will be up soon.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
tires/rims are indeed a huge factor in bike feel when in the air. On the ground as well, though the only noticable difference there is probably acceleration.

Though I don't think NS wants you riding them on rigid.
if that is really true, it's such a shame imo. When NS started, they were almost all about 'as strong as possible'; at least, that's the feeling I got when I bought their 'Streetlegal' frame and 'Pure 4130' bars: indestructible, bike felt like a tank. I've done really bad things to it and it's still more or less fine now.
Last time I checked their site they clearly jumped onto the bandwagon.. stuff as ligt as possible, cassettes that are extra noisy (seriously wtf), ...
On the other hand I didn't hear of any breakage so maybe I'm just ranting over nothing here.
Let us know if the bars keep up!

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Well the only thing I can say for sure is they do make a point of saying that the bars are "ideal for dirt, street, and park riders who use a suspension fork". I have taken 3 pretty hard crashes that each time I was thinking, that would bend the bars if they are cheapo, but they are perfect so far. I think NS went the route they did with their R&D is because thats where the riding was headed, no one needed huge heavy parts anymore, the street riding became less of straight hucking things and more of smooth streety style.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
wonder what the actaully mean with the suspension fork thingie..

the street riding became less of straight hucking things and more of smooth streety style.
I know.. I really like a harder style, both for riding myself and for watching. Guess I'm stuck in the church gap/levan/young days ;P

Zenkis14

Monkey
Sep 20, 2009
What size holy rollers were you running?

And what was the actual weight loss when switching tires

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Sounds dialed. Just broke my second eastern betty.. Make sure to check the chainstays and headtube gusset for cracks, thats where mine have broken. Prolly going to be replaced with a majesty.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
I was running a 2.4 and a 2.2 holly roller. the exact weight change was almost exactly a lb from each tire.

Really? You broke two betty's?! I have had a lot of trouble from my bottom bracket, its been creaking only on the left side, so I was about to switch to a Profile BB... so I guess I will have to check the frame to be sure. I can't imagine I'd crack it though... I am 140lbs and a pretty smooth rider. Thanks for the heads up though.

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Oh my god. I just went out and checked under the downtube... where was yours cracking? There looks like these tine inconsistent breaks in the paint... I can't tell if its just the paint or the frame... That ruined my day. I thought I'd finally found my perfect frame. Anyway you can send me pics of where yours cracked to compare?

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
those breaks in the paint, are they at or real near a weld?
Yep they look like they are at the base of the weld for the gusset. Just called Eastern, they told me that even if its just cosmetic, I can bring it in and get the newly designed 2011 frame... :) The warehouse is like 40mins from my house so I am going to try to make it up there next week.

Paulyd

Monkey
May 15, 2007
Great White North.
man i was so close to buying a thunderbird, but the guy sold it. so getting a dob now.

thanks for the review on the tires, and the bars, look like good future products.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I'll try to get some pics. Didn't mean to ruin your day.. I love the way bettys ride but I weigh around 155 and I'm pretty smooth give or take the occasional case or overshoot. Maybe I just have bad luck. Regardless, anyone want a brand new betty for cheap? :brows: Black or white! haha.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Mine is cracked between the downtube gusset and headtube.. Also on both sides of the chainstay yoke about halfway through, but I have a sh1tty camera phone and couldn't really get a good shot of those cracks. Is this where yours is cracked as well? Mine still feels solid but the headtube is probably the worst place ever to crack a frame and I most definitely value my face enough to not ride it until I have a new frame. Also, what may look like rust on the other side of the gusset is just dirt. I take good care of all my bikes, but my hardtails are always cosmetically thrashed pretty quickly.

Attachments

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Mine is cracked between the downtube gusset and headtube.. Also on both sides of the chainstay yoke about halfway through, but I have a sh1tty camera phone and couldn't really get a good shot of those cracks. Is this where yours is cracked as well? Mine still feels solid but the headtube is probably the worst place ever to crack a frame and I most definitely value my face enough to not ride it until I have a new frame. Also, what may look like rust on the other side of the gusset is just dirt. I take good care of all my bikes, but my hardtails are always cosmetically thrashed pretty quickly.
Exactly where mine are. Its not a complete crack however, more like someone took a pen and made a dashed lines. It feels super solid at the moment, no flex at all. But I am going to take it up to Eastern next week and get the 2011 frame. I like this frame too much to get a completely different frame with different geo.

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
Exactly where mine are. Its not a complete crack however, more like someone took a pen and made a dashed lines. It feels super solid at the moment, no flex at all. But I am going to take it up to Eastern next week and get the 2011 frame. I like this frame too much to get a completely different frame with different geo.
That's exactly how my crack looks too, prolly hard to tell from a phone pic. The geometry is great, I just wish I had more toe clearance for barspins..

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Yea, our Eastern rep told me that they added a different gusset and changed the butting process for that junction, as well as changing the chainstay yoke a bit. Supposedly a lighter frame...

Dirtjumper999

Turbo Monkey
Feb 13, 2005
Charlotte, NC
So the new frame doesn't look that much different than the old. The welds look much thicker than the old. It's the same weight, we'll see how it holds up. I will post pics as soon as I get it built up.