Quantcast

Tires for around here

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Hey guys,

My Minions are finally toast, just really worn, so I need to get a new set of tires. I'm looking at either another set of Minions (DHFs on both ends of course), Specialized Chunder up front and Pinn'er in back or perhaps some Michelins if they make a decent tire for the kind of conditions around the bay here. Does WTB make anything worth looking at? I'm just looking for suggestions, please no Kendas though. Thanks.
-Zack

lukebikes

Chimp
Dec 30, 2007
bay area
the michelin comp 24 is a good rear tire. I know many people who run a high roller front tire with a comp 24 rear tire and they claim it to be the best combo. so u might trie somthing like that

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
hmm, that's an idea i hadn't considered. i'll see what kind of pricing i can get.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
IDk I was rolling around in Angwin, very grip/responsive on everything from roots to decomposed granite, leaves etc. felt better to me than Nevigals, under breaking they feel squirrelly to me. Chunders and Highrollers are almost the same tire, I have high roller Tacky or whatever.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Specialized Chunder.

I was strictly a Maxxis High Roller guy until I tried the Chunders. I won't ride anything else on my big bike anymore.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Never tried the Chunder's, but I can say nothing bad about High Rollers. I ran then for 2 seasons on all kinds of terrain (santa cruz, salinas, downieville, tahoe, etc).

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Specialized poached the guy from Maxxis who designed the High Rollers. The Chunders are exactly like the High Rollers, except they have a second batch of double-nobbies. So instead of single-nob, double-nob, single-nob... it goes... single-nob, double-nob, double-nob, single nob- double-nob, double-nob.

-Mike

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I like highrollers for most conditions around here.

My new favorite on my small bike though were the specialized enduro tires. They roll well and in my opinion corner awesome. Only downside is if you've got them on the rear, they don't climb worth beans and they suck under braking. They also are pretty thin, so plowing rocks at say the crack wouldn't be a very good idea with anything less than 40 psi.

They were the most fun tire I had on my little bike, I'd still be running them if they had a tubeless version.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
I assume your talking DH tires, or dual ply, for that, the minion 3c's are the ticket. from n* to pacifica and everything in between they hook up like mad. im running DHF's on front and rear and its a killer setup.
For trail tires though, the 2.3 weirwolf front and 2.24 or 2.4 mutano raptor are a killer setup around here in the bay, esp santa cruz. At first the weirwolf will seem drifty in front, but once you learn to use it to your advantage, you will be pulling some of the sickest 2 wheel drifts with this combo.

BTW----bdamschen--at pacafica you were talking about a DH near pebble? My fam has a house overlooking pebble and ill be down there in 2 weeks for 4 days. I want to DH. Point me in the right direction :)

Dwdrums00

Monkey
Mar 31, 2007
Maxxis minion DHF 3c front/rear. I have about 4 set of kenda nevegals which are crap compared to Minion's, IMO.

rockbike

Monkey
Nov 9, 2004
south lake tahoe
I would highly recommend Hutchinson’s Barracuda. Run supper tacky in the front and standard in the rear. These tires turn and brake great. I run them at about 32 psi with tubes. Many of my friends run them with tubeless rims and love the performance.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i think i'll be trying chunder up front with a pinn'er in the back, i just want to try a new setup aside from minions. i might still consider a chunder in the back too, but the pinn'er seems to have less rolling resistance and it is also supposedly a little more rear wheel specific.